Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Purge or no purge
1maurscuba - 5/24/2009 9:25 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 46

Hi Everyone, I’m buying a new mask. The volume on the one I have now is not low enough. I have a lot of trouble seeing. The one I have now has a purge.

When I went shopping for a new mask the owner of the shop said I didn’t need a purge. Being someone who was never comfortable in the water I think I need all the help I can get. What do you think?? Purge or no purge, and why? Thanks!!!! Maureen

Granitehawk - 5/24/2009 9:58 AM

You are the the one who decides if purge is needed or not , "DO NOT LET SOME OVERBEARING GEAR HACKER TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED".( sorry about shouting, bad gear purchasing experince coming thru. LOL)

dive what makes you comfortable

I dive with and with out purge masks and personally prefeer the purge dive

See you on the bottom some time
seawolfdiving - 5/24/2009 10:09 AM

Personnally, I prefer "no purge". I prefer the lowest volume mask possible. I also prefer the simplest mask possible. All the "bells & whistles" don’t necessarily mean that it’s better.

But...

It’s really up to you. What you prefer. You have to wear it. I suggest trying out several different masks. Which ever one works best "for you" is the one to stick with.

Most Local Dive Shops (if they are good ones) will allow you to try the various mask types to see which one is best for you.
GypsyDiver - 5/24/2009 10:32 AM
I have used both. It really depends on your preference. I really look for a soft nosecup. There are alot of good masks on the market with or without purges. I have allowed people to try my mask if they ask nicely. If you feel pressure from your local LDS, there is always another one. In fairness, You don’t NEED a purge, but if you don’t like having a little water in your nosecup, It may be the thing for you. Each style of mask has it’s pros anc cons. You get to decide what best suits you and what kind of diving you will be doing. I hope this helps.
MiamiAngel - 5/24/2009 2:02 PM

As a brand new diver I shouldn’t really be offering my opinion on equipment, but I have to say this since I saw a very key element in what you posted. You said you were someone who "never felt very comfortable in the water".

Then I would suggest you definitely stay with what has made you feel safe so far and get a mask with purge. I watched several women in my certification class freak out with the ’sucking water up your nose experience’ (didn’t seem to notice it with the men). Because the rental gear we had for class was just basic. I myself had a bad habit of breathing through my nose instead of my mouth before diving class ( I was taught manners) ;) and was constantly choking on a little bit of water. When I got a purge mask, that no longer was an issue since one quick exhale sent everything out of my mask, even the little residual that seemed to want to hang around with the other mask.

I have been looking around as I acquire little bits of my own equipment and there is so much to choose from that I think that basically it just boils down to what YOU are comfortable with, not necessarily what the dive shop guy thinks is the best around.

Angel
repojock - 5/24/2009 4:25 PM
I prefer purge, but make sure what ever you choose YOU are comfortable with.
scubaclay - 5/24/2009 4:53 PM
I have used both, but now I perfer with out purge. I find that purge mask are to big and allow a lot of water in. The smaller non purge is better for me. But you have to use what makes you feel cormfortable.
divemaiden - 5/24/2009 5:24 PM
I never knew there was such a thing. Guess my LDS didn’t stock them. Anyway, I used to have masks that always let in water. Some a little, some a lot. I have a narrow face, so all my masks leaked. Then I saw a child’s mask in the store for $20. I asked about it and was told it was good for diving, not just snorkling and just as good in deep as shallow. So I bought it to check it out. It is the best mask I ever owned. Practically no water gets in at all, and what does is so negligible I don’t feel the need to constantly purge like I did with my other masks.
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/24/2009 6:26 PM
I love this website!!!!!!
SeaGoat - 5/24/2009 9:04 PM

I used to be pretty uncomfortable when I started diving too and I still prefer really simple equipment. Have you tried just looking for a smaller mask? If you have a small face, you might want to try a youth-sized mask. They’re easy to clear (b/c they’re small) and usually have a lower profile.

I had a purge mask once and didn’t care for it. My friend uses one but he says it’s hard to pinch his nose when he needs to valsalva.
RAWalker - 5/25/2009 3:55 AM

I have tried quite a few masks I have a tough time getting masks to seal well. In addition I don’t like water tickling my nose while I dive. I haven’t used a purge mask since I was youngster snorkeling. I liked them at the time but realized they tend to be problematic. If you get a good seal you may not even need the purge so this is the result you are looking for. Besides this just get real comfortable clearing your mask and the purge becomes unecessary in any event. I also prefer low volume masks and have recently been using a frameless mask. This style tends to be extremely low volume with good vision but a bit more dificult to clear. 
Triggerfish - 5/25/2009 7:55 AM
My wife had a Scubapro without a purge, she was getting a little water in hers she has a narrow face I bought her a Mares Liquid skin X-Vision med mask with out a purge and the problem stopped I have one also I changed from a Scubapro to a Liquid skin, Like myself she also says its the most comfortable mask out there, you can’t hardly tell its on, I would highly recommend you try one before you buy anything else
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/25/2009 8:01 AM
Even a mask that fits perfect most of the time can leak some of the time, IE; too much sunscreen does it to me so a purge would be nice BUT the purge valves don’t last so have an extra mask in the dive bag ready so you don’t miss a dive when, not if the purge valve quits.
Greg - 5/25/2009 9:13 AM
First, I prefer a mask without a purge. That’s one less thing that can break. And sometimes the purge irritates my nose.

Second, thanks for the comment about "loving this website".
Kemperite - 5/25/2009 3:53 PM

Triggerfish hit it right on the nose. The mask material will be key in comfort and your ease of clearing.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MRSMXL.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dliquidskin%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Description%3don%26Hit%3d1

The Liquid Skin mask from Mares is a soft skirt with a hybrid material for a higher degree of comfort. I personally never use and always recommend against a purge valve. Sand, sunscreen, and/or salt crystals have the ability to make the purge valve "stick" in the open position causing a mask to flood rather than drain. Many manufacturers give me masks and I think I have 12 currently in the new mask chest. I have two Liquid Skins and those have pretty much taken over my daily mask chore.

If the skirt is soft and you practice a quick blow out with a minimal lift technique (mimics what you probably already do with your purge mask) then you can drain the mask much faster without a purge valve. Think about it, a little bit of pressure with three finger tips in the top center of your mask frame will cause a release of pressure on the skirt under your nose. When you blow out of your nose at the same time any water in the mask will flush right out the bottom - the largest purge valve you could ever find! When you release the slight pressure with your fingers the soft skirt will mold back to your face and all is right with the world. The only mask that comes close to the Mares Liquid Skin is made by Cressi. Though that one was a prototype when I tested it so I’m not sure if it’s on store shelves yet. It was supposed to be shipping by May 2009 so you might find one.

The Liquid Skin is not cheap but LeisurePro does offer a fair price on it. I know two other stores that are about the same price and then most other LDS’ are in the $135 range for this mask. It is a worthwhile investment but try to borrow one first to make sure you can use it. Better yet, borrow one and play in a pool with a DM/Inst you trust to go through some mask drills for an hour. See what you think. If you are going to be in the Keys the last two weeks of June I’ll hook you up with a loaner. I’ll be in NJ at the end of this week but sadly my gear stayed in GA when I finished my last set of dives - I meet back up with my gear on June 16. :)

Danny
herefishyfishyfishy - 5/26/2009 6:02 PM

I have a purge mask and I love it. I do not like the slightest bit of water getting in my mask. The purge allows easy clearing for the water that settles just below the nose. I have other masks too, but this one is always the one I grab.

I have been told that the purge valve can fail, I keep a 2nd mask handy and on most dives I attach it to my BC just incase I need to swap out down below.
Indiana - 5/26/2009 6:52 PM
This a question only you can answer .The purge masks are easier to clear but the purges do go bad.If you can try both.I dont know if you are done you cert. yet but clearing your mask is one thing you should practice alot.You will have to clear both masks so get the one you like the best.Have fun and dive safe
Anthony - 5/27/2009 10:01 AM

I have masks with and without the purge. I like both. If you get one with a

purge valve be sure and check that it doesn’t touch your nose underneath.

Tony
cantcon4m - 5/27/2009 10:50 AM

My 1st mask I got w/ a purge because of the fear factor and wanting it as much idiot proof as possible. Now, I’m comfortable enough that MY next one will be without. However, you are the one wearing it. Do what you feel is best for YOU and will keep your anxiety level low. No need in ruining a perfectly good dive becasue your worried about weather you should have stuck w/ the purge valve.

Good Luck!
DiveVibe - 5/27/2009 10:59 AM
my vote is no purge, who knows some day you may be on a trip and not have your mask, you’ll have to rent one and chances are their will be no purge, it’s easy to get used to no having one, why not learn now. I just bought a

Sea Elite Frameless Mask Black Silicone

from divers supply 12.99 its low volume comfortable and it came with a free case and neoprene comfort strap, I couldn’t resist they are practically giving it away, for $13 bucks you cant go wrong.

scuba165 - 5/28/2009 4:40 AM

Go with purge. I’ve been diving for 4 yr. and I hate the thought of getting sea water in my mask and manully trying to drain it.

I’m buying an Aqualung Pacifica one window mask w/purge and from what I understand all you have to do is exhale. It’s $80.00 but well worth the money.

Whatever you do, do not take the mask of until you get out of the water or on to the boat. I just lost my $40 one window mask Sunday climbing into a boat with my mask in hand. DAH. LOL

So Purge Purge Purge all the way LOL. ;)
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/28/2009 9:15 AM
Let me know how that new mask works out for you. I tried the Cressi Big Eyes. ( in the store ) I’ll be trying it in the pool this weekend. So far it’s the only mask I can see well from, but no Purge :(
ArchimedesPrinciple - 5/28/2009 9:38 AM

I have used both and the latest mask I wear is the Atomic ultraclear frame-less. It has very low volume, by far the best silicone seal that I have encountered and no purge. It seals so good, no water enters.
SCUBAU - 5/28/2009 11:17 AM

Maureen,

Being a dive shop owner I used to sell alot of Cressi-Sub Big Eyes Masks. It is a great mask but for new divers it sometimes leaks alot on them and this is why. The skirt on this mask is not that big so if you have a small face and smile it will leak. So before taking it out diving put it on as if you were trying it for the first time and smile a little. If it does not fall off your face you may be ok. Also, if it does not fall off put the mask on with a regulator in your mouth and then smile a little if it does not fall off great, if it does try another mask or you will need to re-adjust your smiling habits.

Hope this helps somewhat. If you ever have any other questions or need any equipment give me a call or e-mail me.

Thanks

John

SCUBA "U"

708-599-2630 
DiveBuddyChgo - 5/28/2009 12:08 PM
I prefer no purge... And its also one less valve to go bad to let water in.. You shouldn’t have to purge your mask anyways if its a good fit.. I let water in sometimes just to clear some fog on the lens.. No purging should be needed..
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/28/2009 1:20 PM
Leisure Pro has this mask for 46.95. It’s a cool looking mask, but it’s got mixed reviews.
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/28/2009 1:23 PM
That last comment was for the Aqualung pacifica w/purge.
SCUBAU - 5/28/2009 7:17 PM

Maureen,

I hope you are going to go in and try the mask on before buying it. At least you will know up front if the mask doesn’t fit your face properly. Some people have a face any mask is good for and others have a face 1 in ten masks only fit properly. Also, by trying it on you will see if it is easy to pinch your nose to eqaulize. It is hard on some masks with purges to get your fingers in the pocket to equalize especially with gloves on. Give it a try

John
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/28/2009 9:27 PM
Thanks, I’ll do that.
scuba165 - 5/30/2009 5:40 AM

Yes Leisure Pro is selling the Aqualung pacifica w/purge for $46.95 + $7.45 for S&H., but I was afraid it would be to big/small. So I called my Local Dive Center, well being an Aqualung dealer I went down there and tried it on and it fit nicely. I bought it. I got home and filled the mask with water, put it on my face and exhealed (all the water blew out the purge valve.) NICE. :)

Well going diving today. I will flood my mask and sea how it works under presure. I’ll write back with a review tonight.

Andrew
scuba165 - 5/30/2009 9:42 PM
From scuba165:

Yes Leisure Pro is selling the Aqualung pacifica w/purge for $46.95 + $7.45 for S&H., but I was afraid it would be to big/small. So I called my Local Dive Center, well being an Aqualung dealer I went down there and tried it on and it fit nicely. I bought it. I got home and filled the mask with water, put it on my face and exhealed (all the water blew out the purge valve.) NICE. :)

Well going diving today. I will flood my mask and sea how it works under presure. I’ll write back with a review tonight.

Andrew

The Aqualung pacifica w/purge works great. I used it today at Nubble Light in Maine.

I had no Idea that you breath through your nose natully.

When exhaling through your Reg., you natully exhale through your nose aswell, releasing small bubbles through the purge valve.

I flooded my mask in 30’ of water and exhaled twice and no more water
Pixel - 5/31/2009 8:02 AM
Sooo.....being all South African and very freaking behind with the times...I’ve never even seen a mask that purges.

I used to fear mask clearing with my life. The water in my eyes etc etc. Being scared that I haven’t replaced my mask properly....all those little things you hate because A) it sucks and B)can make your dive uncomfortable.

Solution: Practice, practice, practice. I practiced on shallow dives, my friends swimming pools, my mother’s shower......(that was the start). I flooded, cleared, put back. Now, it’s second nature. (though you’d still have to hold a gun to my head to get me to remove my mask totally underwater.)

Also I have a liquid skin mask, so that helps a lot, because the rim conforms to your face. ie: less chance of putting it on wrong and re flooding yourself. :)
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/31/2009 8:53 AM

Hi, Thanks, I’m so glad that I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’ve had a couple of people say that I’m wasting to much time trying to find the "Perfect mask w/ purge" and that I don’t need one. Well, Right now I do need one and maybe when I get more experience and more comfortable I won’t need one. So I’m still looking!!! Thanks again. :)
MNDiveLady - 5/31/2009 10:17 PM

One mask I had did have a purge valve in the nose, but it disintegrated...That’s how long it has been since I started snorkeling. Since then I use mostly non-purge masks. I bought a mask for my husband that had a purge valve in the lower right cheek of the mask skirt. Not great, but effective.

Often more importantly than fit is where facial hair may intrude. I have to shave my temples to keep a good seal! You may also note that many divers have very short hair! Good Luck!
Pixel - 6/01/2009 4:41 AM
I have long hair.

I now wear a bandanna under my hood to keep my hair back, and a whack load of bobby pins for all the other naughty pieces of hair.

I’d look like a badly groomed poodle with short hair.
charstew - 6/02/2009 9:26 AM
Better late than never.. I posted a blog about my favorite mask you can choose a purge or non purge with this mask. At the price you can afford to try both.. Check out the blog below.. : )

http://www.divebuddy.com/blog.aspx?BlogID=4310&SearchFor=&Category=
charstew - 6/02/2009 9:46 AM
On the subject I forgot to mention. I use a the purge and this mask allows a great flow out. Most purge masks tend to lift slightly around my face and fog.

I don’t have that trouble with this one. It also has a skirt around the valve that
 keeps debis out. I have heard of people that get sand in the valve but I am not sure how the do this unless the are doing face plants in the bottom.. LOL A fresh water rinse keeps salt from building up as well.

I don’t think you are wasting time looking for a mask because recreational diving is just that, recreation so comfort and recreation should go hand in hand.

I even carry a spare mask for my good friend Justin Case. "Just in case"
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 6/02/2009 11:39 AM

Yes, I saw the scuba pro crystal vu on Leisure Pro. How is your down vision? So far every mask I’ve tried w/purge, can’t see anything on my bc. Thanks, Maureen
charstew - 6/02/2009 8:40 PM

Down vision is okay for me but others have taken issue with it. I use a wrist computer so checking my gauges is never an issue. I still have an air gauge in case of a computer malfunction I keep it on a gear keeper that I can pull up to read if I need to. I do the same with my compass. On the other wrist I still where a good old fashion dive watch. I guess I have never really needed to see my BC for anything. The only other things I carry is a knife and spare air and once in a while a bulky camera and sometimes in my BC pocket a caprisun drink, but I never litter and put it back in my pocket after I drink it. LOL
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 6/02/2009 9:00 PM
A caprisun drink?? That’s too funny! I can’t even imagine trying to drink anything under water! Thanks for the info on the mask.
nauidiver - 6/02/2009 9:20 PM
I think its all about how well it fits & feels. I have a mask with a purge & I love it BUT after about 30mins it starts to hurt my lip just under my noise. But I just deal with the pain because I really like my mask.

If your use to a purge and now you buy a mask without a purge, my guess is you’ll love the fit & maybe never want to go back to a purge. I hope that makes since. I’m a little sleepy... lol

Hope that helps a little
- Dale
dalehall - 6/03/2009 7:06 AM
I’m one of those that likes the basic, no frills type mask. Low volume, black skirt, nothing special. Like Greg, I think the purge is just one more thing to go bad. But, that being said as my opinion, I have heard from students and other people that had troubles clearing the "normal" way, that the purge was their favorite "gimmick." It helped them clear when they didn’t think they would be able to get past that part. So, as with everything, we all have varying opinions. It’s great to hear what other people think, (I ask those same type questions a lot) but your own opinion is the only one that will matter in the end.. ;) Hope you are happy with whatever you decide to get..
Dale
Subscribed
TerryC - 6/04/2009 10:20 PM

If you are buying a mask with a purge do it for the right reasons.

Do not buy it because you have problems clearing a mask.

One day the purge will fail and murphy’s law states it will be when you are deep, in a current, and have to make a safety stop to surface. 

To dive safely you must be able to comfortably clear a mask by "breaking the seal"

Other than that, you go for whatever you feel happy with, dive kit is a very personal choice. If it feels good then it is right for you.

Terry

My St Kitts Dive Buddy Website
MarcellC - 6/06/2009 11:13 AM
Gosh. Just read through this thread - must confess I’ve also never heard of (or seen) a mask with purge and I consider myself reasonably well travelled lol. Am I just not paying attention? So I just do mask clearing as per how the old school guys taught me :))

Did you get sorted in the end with a mask Maureen?
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 6/06/2009 3:56 PM
Not yet. :(
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 6/06/2009 3:56 PM
Not yet. :(
madlobster - 6/11/2009 3:50 PM

My personal feeling is no purge, you can always clear with tilting.