Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Nervous New Diver
ScubaLawyer - 12/16/2009 1:05 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 18

Hi, I’m hoping someone can give me some advice/tips on getting through the open water dives at the end of my certification. I finished my first pool session Monday and all went well. I expect my second pool session today to be ok, too. I have a beach dive on Saturday and a boat dive on Sunday. What should I expect? I was able to clear my mask and do all the drills well in the pool, at 6 feet, but I don’t know if I’ll be as successful is they make me do it at 30 feet. How deep do they generally go on the beach and boat dives?

Thanks for any advice,

Karen

UWnewbee - 12/16/2009 2:06 PM
 Relax!!! Sounds like your getting worked up already and youre Not in the water yet! Which is not a good thing to do! Ask your Instructor as to how deep,and any other questions you have, thats what theyre there for. My classes as I remember we were in the shallow end of the pool (3 ft) then we moved on to the deep end (10 ft), then on our check outs they were all open water, ocean, we didnt go over 20 ft.and there was no boat dive all shore 5 dives. Every Instructor could do his/her class different, thats why ask Your Instuctor. And remember..... Relax, have fun! Dive safe! Good Luck in your classes!! 
malibu - 12/16/2009 2:34 PM

RELAX!!! There is nothing to worry about. I cannt say much else that was not already said and the advise given. Just look at it this way. What is different between a pool and the open water? There should be no or very little surge or current causing any problems. You will do fine. Good luck and dont hold your breath.
SoCal_Kevin - 12/16/2009 2:36 PM
My advice would be to relax and stay calm. If you can complete the drills at 6ft, you can do it at 30. Also, take time during your decent to avoid problems equalizing. If you are experiencing a problem, there is no shame in halting your activity for a safety or comfort issue. Once you are underwater, there is no value in rushing. Take your time, think before you act and enjoy the view. Finally, the best piece of advice I can offer is to have fun. Diving is a release from stress and with proper training, it can be quite therapeutic and life changing. GOOD LUCK!
jimran - 12/16/2009 3:01 PM
This is a common way to feel as the others said, relax, you are doing this in warm water with great vis in Fl , so that is a good thing ,its no different stay in control its a fun sport, you control the dive ,slow breath and think,,,every dive is a learning dive ,for yourself or your buddy ,,,plan the dive and dive the plan, HAPPY DIVING
DeepAddiction - 12/16/2009 4:11 PM

Don’t be overwhelmed by the open water. The drills are no different, as long as you can breathe you are fine...You will be apprehensive if you’re not used to diving in the ocean, just because it’s unfamiliar. Water is water, pool or ocean, 10ft or 50ft. Focus on your breathing, slow and steady, if you start shallow/rapid breathing it will only accentuate problems.

You can breathe...you are fine!!!

PS - Where the heck is Lighthouse Point?
divemaiden - 12/16/2009 7:34 PM

Since you’ve already done it before, it will be just as easy if not easier doing it again. Breathing is key. If you’ve ever done yoga, look at it as a yoga exercise. Just take your time performing each task. It isn’t a race. You don’t have to beat the clock. I’ve never found depth an issue. In water 30’ is the same as 5’ in terms of performing tasks like clearing my mask and/or recovering my regulator. You’ll do great.
oceanfloor - 12/16/2009 9:48 PM
Hey, its alright to be nervous about the whole thing. I haven’t been diving too long and I clearing remember becomming panicky underwater. Its not a natural enviorment for us. BUT... I wanted to dive REAL BAD!... and with that in mind I made myself relax.. as much as possible and did allot of mental rehearsal before the event. Have a great time..have fun ...and enjoy :))
ArchimedesPrinciple - 12/17/2009 11:16 AM

Being a little nervous or apprehensive is OK. It actually heightens our awareness. Just don’t let it progress passed that.

You will do good, relax and have fun
scubaclay - 12/17/2009 1:39 PM
Once again, Relax, and put your trust in your instructor. He/she has gotten you this far and will be there to help you if you have any problems. Instructors are like that, we hate loosing students Ha Ha.
jimran - 12/17/2009 5:19 PM
SCUBACLAY THATS FUNNY,GOOD POINT
Subscribed
ScubaLawyer - 12/18/2009 2:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. Lighthouse Point is a small town, right on the ocean, on the east coast of Florida. It’s about 5 miles north of Fort Lauderdale.
Subscribed
ScubaLawyer - 12/18/2009 2:29 PM
I want to thank everyone for all the advice. You are all a great bunch of people. Update: In Wednesday’s class, I decided to pursue private lessons, as the group atmosphere just wasn’t working for me. I felt like I was the slowest one in the class and I felt terrible for slowing everyone down. I think that is what was bothering me the most. I felt pressured to rush, although my fellow students never made me feel that way and everyone was super-patient. I am determined to get back down in the water again, so I’m not giving up. Until then, I’ll be snorkling. I’ll be looking into private lessons starting in January. :) Thanks again to everyone!
scubadiver1 - 12/18/2009 5:21 PM

Thats the most important thing, not giving up, the private lessons are a good idea if it helps you relax. As you perform more dives your comfort level will increase. This is a great, relaxing and rewarding sport, so don’t give up, take your time and enjoy the experience. GOOD LUCK:)
Bigdogdown - 12/18/2009 11:38 PM
I dive in lighthouse point, pompano, lauderdale by the sea all the time. You’ll do fine, biggest thing to remember, just breathe. If you have them do your beach entry first, the water viz is usually very clear, and only 12-18 ft deep all the way out to the first reef. not hard at all, and that depth is all they way from jupiter to Miami only like 18 ft. deep as far out as 200 yards!! Your second dive if a boat dive will be out to the second reef, awesome things to look at and never gets below 30 ft. it only starts to get to around 45-50 ft at the third reef which is about a mile out. You’ll do fine if you did good in the pool, remember 10 ft is the same as 30. When you get certified drop me a line and I’ll high tail it down there and we can do some diving.
pd2div - 12/20/2009 11:27 PM
How did your open water class go? Are you going for the Advance ?

~Tony
pd2div - 12/20/2009 11:31 PM
Diving4Fun - 12/26/2009 5:16 PM

Sorry for the late posting-

How did it go?

Was it as "bad" as you thought it would be?