Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What scuba agency should I get certified with?
Anonymous - 5/01/2006 2:34 PM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 20

I hear PADI is the largest agency, but some say there are other agencies that train more or better. What are the pros/cons of PADI, SSI, NAUI...or does anyone have a personal experience they want to share?
Anonymous - 5/01/2006 9:10 PM
I teach for PADI and SDI but I am quite sure that the recurring theme you will hear is that they are all good training agencies for different reasons. The agency sets the teaching standard but the instructor meets, or preferably, exceeds these standards. Regardless of what agency the training takes place, the training should be fun, challenging and leave the student feeling comfortable in what they have learned.
Anonymous - 5/03/2006 11:44 AM
if i where you i`d get certified thru padi. i did and i have not regreted it.
Anonymous - 5/14/2006 1:42 PM
I`m an instructor with multiple agencies. I can tell you that the standards are pretty much standardized across the agencies through their membership in the RSTC. In the end it comes down to your Instructor. Some are better than others. Feel free to interview your Instructor in the same way you checked out professors in college. Except now you aren`t looking for the one with the easiest exams - rather you are looking for the one with the most experience and best personality. I can say that PADI is the most recognized worldwide and that is definately a plus. Beyond that - find an instructor you like and can work with.
Anonymous - 5/30/2006 3:56 PM
I am PADI qualified but am looking at training with IANTD also. It doesn`t really matter whom you train with as long as the instructor is worth his/her salt. I think if you are cherry picking the question should be - Which instructor should I have?? not which agency!!
Anonymous - 6/04/2006 11:14 AM
NAUI WAS EASIER TO DO, THEN SOME TIME PASSED AND I TOOK THE CLASS AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME WITH PADI......... IT WAS MORE INTENSE AND ALOT MORE $$$. SO I GUESS THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
Anonymous - 7/30/2006 8:38 PM
I am certified thru PADI, my wife is certified thru NASE. Her NASE Basic Open Water course was equivalent to my PADI Advanced Open Water course and cost less. I have learned that NASE instructors pace their courses based on the students ability to grasp the material. In a nutshell, a fast burning class will get a little more in depth than a slower class. The only setback to NASE is that it`s not very well known or widely recognized like PADI.
Anonymous - 8/13/2006 10:34 PM
i`m a padi instructor. not to knock anyone. but someone said to me once. Padi didn`t get to be number 1 by being second best..
Anonymous - 8/14/2006 1:08 AM
Who cares?! As long as it gets you air. All a card does is releave from liuability the person or shop pumping the air. Other than that basics are basics, and only diving,trainning, and experiance will make you a better diver regaudless of the name on the card. Its about the trainer not the course. Papa Bear
Anonymous - 8/29/2006 6:39 AM
I have done all of my scuba training through NAUI. I recognize that they are a safety concious agency and most NAUI instructors exceed course standards by giving you more dives and definately more education and experience. ALSO: Guess who trains NASA Astronauts......... NAUI, guess who trains the Navy Seals.....................NAUI, NAUI started up in 1960, whereas PADI in 1966. At the end of the day though a scuba certification is a scuba certification, all are recognised worldwide, just go through the right instructor!!
Anonymous - 9/26/2006 1:34 PM
I am certified through NAUI, PADI, and SSI all for different levels of certification. I would say that the materials covered in all of the courses were very well written and very informative…… What every thing boils down to is how good the instructor is in his/her abilities to teach.
Anonymous - 10/13/2006 7:52 PM
It seems that the biggest difference is not the agency, it`s the instructor. Unfortunately a lot of us don`t want to go to all the trouble (and it`s a lot!) it takes to thoroughly check out an instructor. If you don`t have a lot of time, nor a lot of experienced people you trust, this can be a pretty hard problem. Another thing to consider is the course. I understand there are some new courses and levels of certification that don`t really give you what you need to be safe. Everything I`ve learned about this subject indicates that the agency is almost insignificant; the instructor, though is crucial.
Anonymous - 10/15/2006 8:12 AM
Just like most of the replies here, it is not the agency as much as it is with the instructor and dive shop. All the agencies can be quirky with the way they want you to advance your dive ratings. Go with an instructor, future dive buddies, and the dive shop that gives you the most for your buck. I`m a DiveCon through SSI, and my dive shop stands behind everything I`ve gotten there. Although the owner himself is a little flaky.
Anonymous - 10/18/2006 3:11 PM
PADI is recognized all over the world, but as many other things in life the quality of training is not really about the certifing agency but the instructor, now a days almost anybody can be an instructor if you pay enough, but obviously that dosnt make you a good instructor, so dont be afraid to ask a lot of questions about everything, a good instructor will be happy to answer, and no matter what the instructor say, always use your good judgement, that is the first thing you should learn as a diver...
Anonymous - 1/15/2007 9:43 PM
First of all , PADI , is not the only kid on the block as we all know , it is just that PADI has a good marketing plan, but there is other training agenices out there SDI /TDI SSI IANTD ,ETC The main thing you as a consumer must look at is 1st your Instructor`s background and his/her training,and then read up on the other training agenices , PADI is not the best out there , people just need to do a little research and they will see others are just as good, and ask questions about your instructor too Good luck
Anonymous - 2/25/2007 4:21 AM
As previously noted organizations follow a minimum standard set by the scuba industry and the organization, they differ less than you might expect. If they did not establish these themselves I am sure the feds would have stepped. Instructors however differ a lot, and you should talk to the instructor you will be taking the course from and determine exactly what will be offered and how you feel about them as an individual. Finally, some instructors add significantly to the standard course (and may also charge more). You should know exactly what you are going to get for your course before beginning the course. For me its ease I love teaching and I love to dive. We believe teaching small class sizes ensures each participant gets the most enjoyment and instructor attention possible. This formula of one on one attention maintains our 100% safety record and reputation for quality of training. This has made us well known for our quality in diver training with a personal, friendly service.
Anonymous - 3/09/2007 9:15 AM
I am an old school diver. For many many years PADI was the "joke" agency,much more interested in marketing equipment and extra levels of training than just doing it right the first time. They have gotten so big due to Marketing..not quality..having said that, talk to the instructor,talk to other divers,shop owners,Dive Boat operators and pick the instruction that you feel will make you most comfortable IN THE WATER,not at the cash register
Anonymous - 3/25/2007 2:57 AM
All of the major agencies teach under the same WRSTC/RSTC training standards. For a list of those agencies on council(s), please visit: http://www.wrstc.com/main.php
Anonymous - 4/03/2007 12:25 AM
I am not up on the politics of diving angecies, I got certified thru padi And now thinking to change to another ,ssi or naui, the reason for this is that I recently found out that there is a program called universal referral program that has five major player in it(ssi and naui are two of them), what this program does is if you wanted to get a specialty dive in and nobody from your agency is present,then another from one of those in the program can sign off your dive,and your agency will honor it.PADI chooses not to be part of this program at this time.and doesnt reconize the sign off of another, also with PADI allowing you to do bookwork and send it in then just go do the dives to get the cert,and also booking dives strait thruogh Padi cuts into the business of the people that was a major factor in padi`s success,the dive shops. My thinking is that if I change over to an agency that is in the Universal program then I should have other resources to pull from(next message to finish)
Anonymous - 4/03/2007 12:33 AM
that should cover most of (if not more) than what PADI has to offer. but ,like I stated "I am not up on agency politics" . I could be wrong, it maybe worth checking into tho, however, If PADI wants to stand alone, than, I am willing to leave them alone.
Anonymous - 11/29/2007 12:11 PM
This is a no brainer. If you don`t want to die then stay away from PADI. When you`re first learning you need to learn properly not quickly so take SSI courses instead they are longer and it takes more time to get certified which is a GOOD thing. Take it from someone who became PADI certified - too soon, too fast - and almost drown as a result. However, bottom line is the instructor but then again, nothing beats time and practice, both of which PADI doesn`t give you to get certified.