Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Instructors
NGAGUY - 1/22/2011 9:24 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 27

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on what a Dive Instructor’s salary is?
Subscribed
Greg - 1/23/2011 8:53 AM
In Texas...if you work for a dive shop, you’ll get about $50 per student (for the whole class, not per day) plus commission on the gear you sell to your students. You use the shop’s gear and the annual insurance is cheaper or covered completely by the dive shop.

If you are independent, you need to buy all your own gear, or rent each time, plus you have to pay for your own insurance...but you keep 100% of what the student pays. So if you charge $350 per student, your expenses will be about $150...so you net around $200 per student. That’s not a lot of money, and scuba instructors don’t get rich...but it can be a great side job.

Plus you have to be pretty good at marketing yourself if you’re an independent instructor...and be prepared for all the dive shops in town to hate you.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 1/23/2011 11:03 AM
WELL THAT EXPLAINS A LOT ! but what I want to know is, when do they get they’re super secret decoder ring ??? 
Subscribed
sadfish - 1/23/2011 1:15 PM
me too
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 1/23/2011 11:35 PM
I’m thinking about going for a pro myself and it sounds to me like it’s not about a lot of money, mostly about the love of diving. HallsDiving.com (FL school) mentions a ballpark of 30 to 60K (they claim they have a 100% placement).
Subscribed
divingbean - 1/24/2011 5:35 AM

Hi

I am looking into doing something with marine conservation - I have been searching online and there are so many career breaks or gap year sites that have volunteer conservation work with some having a dive master course included. Has anyone done any conservation work and can you let me know details, I would really appreciate it - any comments appreciated.

Many thanks

Jill
Subscribed
Greg - 1/24/2011 8:51 AM
From AOW_dude: I’m thinking about going for a pro myself and it sounds to me like it’s not about a lot of money, mostly about the love of diving. HallsDiving.com (FL school) mentions a ballpark of 30 to 60K (they claim they have a 100% placement).

It’s NOT about money at all...unless you live in an area where the demand is really high, and there are few other scuba instructors...and you work your but off and hire a couple dive masters to help you.

If I taught diving full-time in Texas as an independent instructor, I could probably profit about $48k per year.
Subscribed
NGAGUY - 1/24/2011 9:14 AM
Yea I received a packet from Hall’s and my instructor went there it is rather expensive...From what I’ve read so far the best thing to do is to get your first 20 dives in and then do AOW, Then do another 40 dives which will be 60 and then you can go for dive master...then do another 40 dives to make 100 and then you can go for your Instructors....Thats alot of time...Ha.
Subscribed
NGAGUY - 1/24/2011 9:24 AM
I’m going for it!!!
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 1/24/2011 9:50 AM

That’s the spirit!

Greg, thanks for info.
Subscribed
ArchimedesPrinciple - 1/24/2011 11:23 AM
From Greg:

Plus you have to be pretty good at marketing yourself if you’re an independent instructor...and be prepared for all the dive shops in town to hate you.

Greg,

That almost sounds like experience talking
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/24/2011 11:58 AM
The only plus I see is that if a student is on a check out dive with you on a trip you can write the trip off as an expense against what little you earned.
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 1/24/2011 12:45 PM
There is an old adage in the business. “If you want to make a million dollars in the dive business, start out with two million and get out after a year….”
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 1/24/2011 12:46 PM
There is an old adage in the business. “If you want to make a million dollars in the dive business, start out with two million and get out after a year….”
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 1/24/2011 12:46 PM
ScubaJenn - 1/25/2011 8:07 PM
I’ve been an instructor since 2006, and I think I made about $30K in the past 4 years total. Being an instructor has absolutely nothing to do with the money. You don’t make a lot. The hours are long. The guests can be demanding. But I wouldn’t trade it for the world, because I have the best office in the world.
Subscribed
Reddiver - 1/29/2011 11:31 AM
In the Tampa Florida area, a part time instructor gets about $75 per open water student, more for advanced classes, or course. The more you are certified to teach, the better. OW can be the most stressful but most enjoyable to teach. Other classes can be easier, depending on the class. Nitrox can be class only, while wreck had more challenges, obviously.
Subscribed
Dive4funn - 1/31/2011 3:52 PM

Try Santa Barbara city college or Scripps. I California everything is going towards conservation and "green". Non of us can find a job, "but we’re Green"

Subscribed
Dive4funn - 1/31/2011 4:06 PM

Remmember this!

When a shop owner, especially in a cold water environment looks over a resume, they are looking for expperience and a solid internship.. If you go through a "90 day wonder course" doing the absolute minimum to become an instructor, consider yourself lucky to get on with a shop. I reccomend doing a 6 month internship with a seasoned instructor to learn logistics and time management after you graduate. I used to get 50-60 applications from the wonder kids for an open position. I on two occasions hired instructors from the 90 day wonder courses and they both failed when put into the teaching rotation. FYI.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 1/31/2011 4:46 PM
THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE BEST DAMN ADVICE I HAVE SEEN HERE YET !( 90 day wonder’s love it! )
Subscribed
Sheesadive - 2/08/2011 2:54 AM
There is a massive difference between being a dive instructor vs. a dive professional. In the beginning the money is poor, the hours are long and the early mornings even longer. However, if you put the hard yards in, compliment your diving by having other skills such as marketing, financial and a bit of business acumen then you can certainly make a living and a decent one at that.

Persevere this job is not a sprint but a marathon.
Subscribed
ANUWCNJ - 2/17/2011 3:56 PM

I agree Greg, it more for the love of the sport, and not the money.

Clay
Subscribed
jerry8389 - 12/29/2011 10:39 PM
Hey firsy off don’t go to Hall its a rip off. Check out EASE diving college of Vero Beach Florida. The average salary is well verying. You may make 9.00 hr of 30.00hr. It depends on what you have to offer. Also remember that which agency your an instructor for makes a big differnce. PADI is the best as far as market share. I got my instructor several years ago at ease and was hired by a dive shop in grand caymen before I finished. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 850-260-6774. I had someone help me when I got started as well. Jerry Williams PADI master Diver Trainier 237569/50to master captain. Check us out on face book Mexico Beach Aquatic Adventures .