Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Key West
Tamster - 4/19/2011 6:48 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Hello,

Heading to Key West for the first time. Would love some recommendations for a good dive shop there. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Subscribed
malibu - 4/19/2011 11:09 PM
key west is fun and wild and a great time, but 100 miles north is where you want to dive...key largo. cannt tell you much about kw except where to play and go silly and eat and drink well. KL is the best diving in the US and one of the best in the world. Have a great time and go to the hogs breath and jimmy buffets placeand call your hotel or call a shop in kl. They will advise you well
Subscribed
WRKDVR - 4/22/2011 8:45 PM
Hi

I dove Key West a few years back with Southpoint divers.They had really nice fast boats and i don’t know what the other guy was talking about but the dives we did with them were really good.

Scott
Subscribed
SEAduction-Dive-Services - 4/23/2011 6:17 PM
Vandenberg’s one of the better dives down there and most of the boats go out there....
Subscribed
myrtle_beach_diver - 4/25/2011 10:46 AM

Hi Tamster:

When I am in the Keys, I dive with Halls Diving Center on Marathon Key and with Captn’s Corner on Key West for diving the USS Vandenberg. Great Dive.
Subscribed
DolphinDancer - 4/25/2011 3:21 PM
Well said and done as the one diver said it KW is good diving ,but for great diving Key Largo is the place you want to be. has 4 shallow wrecks one of is the City Of Washington a must for early morning dive where you will see 300 to 400 pound grouper 2 Morays one is 8 ft. nurse sharks one of which is 7 ft. and they all are friendly and use to divers and come up to you. Mollasses Reef is one of the most dove reef in North America for it’s beauty viz and seeing morays ,sharks,and and Spotted Eagle Rays in formation WOW Then you have the Duane and bibb 2 deep wreacks and the famous Sigeal Grove. AWSOME for your night dive a must on the benwood talk about big parrot fish these suckers look like john boats under water and hundreds of them. Sp you need a little religion well there is always the Christ Statue. most spots except the deep wrecks are good for that snorkeler also. So you ask where’s the best place in the Florida Keys (KEY LARGO)
Subscribed
rockbandaddict67 - 4/25/2011 7:42 PM
i’m going to side with malibu on this one. we stayed in islamorada and dove from there during the week, dove horseshoe and davey crocker. then went to key west to party on the weekend.