Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Connecting new gear
iliketurtles - 2/01/2012 10:20 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 7

So I just got my new gear in the mail. Sherwood 1st, 2nd stage and octo. I also got a Suunto Cobra dive computer. They all came in different boxes and I was wondering if I can connect them myself or should I take them to the dive shop and let them do it?
Subscribed
JohnnyHeavens - 2/01/2012 1:21 PM
The setup and connecting is easy enough. In fact it’s something I think a diver owning their own gear should learn to do so that they can do a better job at checking their gear between services and such. However having said that, if you are asking then you should probably take it to your local shop just to be safe. They might be a bit disappointed that they didn’t get a chance to sell you the gear but you could always pick up a couple little accessory’s while you wait. :)
Greg - 2/01/2012 2:53 PM
It’s usually just a matter of lubing up the o-rings a bit with some silicone and screwing in the hoses to the first stage. I usually start threading them in backwards, until I feel it drop into the grove, then proceed in the other direction slowly. If you feel any tightness, stop and back out and try again to make sure you’re threading it properly. Once hand tight, then get a wrench that fits well and tighten until nice and snug. If you’re not comfortable with that, take it to a dive shop.
Dutch - 2/01/2012 4:26 PM
I think I agree with JohnnyHeavens here. If you are asking, it tells me that you are not really that technical and should consider taking the equipment specialty cert to get a bit of knowledge of the gear you are using. It will help make you a safer diver.
John_giu - 2/01/2012 5:07 PM
This advice is a little late but most online retailers will assemble your gear free of charge if you ask. If you do it yourself just remember you only need a little "hug" on the hoses, anything more than a small open end wrench is too much tool.

If you own a tank give the regs. a test breath, if not it’s probably worth a couple dollars to rent own before you take the new rig out diving (or NOT diving). Just make sure to follow the directions for connecting the HP (high pressure) and LP (low pressure) ports and save the port screws. The firt stage is marked LP/HP
Subscribed
iliketurtles - 2/01/2012 7:02 PM
Got it together, everything when fine. Thank you all for the advice. It was much easier than I thought. I will take your advice John_gui and rent a tank to test it out. Prob take it on a run in my pool. Thanks !!!
RAWalker - 2/01/2012 11:58 PM
It’s easy enough to assemble yourself if you are mildly mechanically inclined. Be aware the first stage has both high and low pressure ports. The high pressure port is where you connect the hose for your SPG/console or Pressure sensor/transmitter. The low pressure ports are used to connect the hose for you second stage regulator/octo, power inflator hose and drysuit inflator hose. which port you use for which device is a matter of what layout works best to route the hoses when your entire kit is assembled. It may take a bit of thought for a new first stage or first timer to figure out what configuration works best for them.

After your figure it out and get it assembled take the time to assemble your full kit, pressurize it and throw it in the pool to check for leaks and that the gauges and/or computer work. Next test the power inflator and reg at the surface and in shallows before a final test in deeper water.

It isn’t rocket science.