Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

I want to get certified
dledwards21 - 2/02/2012 6:31 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 8

Please help!.... Knowing me, I am COMPLETELY over looking, but I am trying to find a class to get certified. I have looked over the site to see if there is a certification class being offered in the Valdosta area (or surrounding areas) but I’m not finding any where that offers classes. Can someone please tell me where I might be able to go to find information??? And to throw another curveball, (and I’m sure this is probably not possible), but my wife and I are going to Hawaii for a week at the end of April. How long does it normally take to get certified??? I know I sound like the typical "newby", but if anyone could help me, or direct me to where I can find answers, that would be awesome. Thanks so much for any advise you all can give me.
Greg - 2/02/2012 7:33 PM
There are a few dive centers and instructors in GA that are listed on divebuddy.com. Use the Members Search page and change the member type to dive center or instructor, then enter GA as the state. Then send a direct message to a few of them to see which one can help you. It is possible to get certified before your trip, just need to find an instructor in your area. Good luck!
MaryW - 2/02/2012 8:40 PM
I’m a newby too, and you are doing exactly the right thing by asking lot of questions. You can easily get certified in time to go to Hawaii, but one thing that helped me in our first actual ocean experience was to hire a dive master for our first ocean dives in Cozumel. Money well spent in my opinion. Have fun! Report back! I would love to hear about Hawaii!!
Subscribed
dalehall - 2/03/2012 5:34 AM
Dusty,
There are a couple good dive shops in your area.. Dale Deaton (one of the Mods here on DiveBuddy: NAUIDiver) is in your area and knows the shops.. Message him and he’ll be able to help you out. If no one can help you locally, we have a shop here in Macon (2 hours North of you) that can do it.. 1 weekend in the classroom and then 1 weekend trip and you’re certified.
If you need any more info from this area, please feel free to message me..
Dale Hall
molina67 - 2/03/2012 11:32 AM
Not sure about Valdosta, but just across the border into Florida you should be able to find plenty of dive shops. I live in Hinesville, but was certified in Jacksonville, FL did it in a weekend and was only $400 and that included everything you needed to get certified. website is www.scubalessonsjax.com
InfoSecDVR - 2/03/2012 5:13 PM
Let the adventure begin and have fun dude! I try to remember that we were all newbies once.

Randy
Subscribed
dledwards21 - 2/05/2012 6:35 AM
Update:... Thanks for everyone’s help! I did finally find a NAUI training center. Southern Ocean Sports (SOS) here in Valdosta. I start Monday night in the classroom. 3 days classroom time, 2 days of pool certification. Do a freshwater dive, and then head to the Keys for 3 days to do my saltwater dives end of February. Will be a busy month, but I’m excited. I’ve been wanting to do this for a few years now
Subscribed
diverray - 2/05/2012 9:31 AM
Congratulations. Where in Hawaii are you going. We are going to be in Maui in April and will be doing some diving.