Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

regulator swivel opinions
scubareed - 2/12/2012 8:23 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 16

Good day buddies. Recently purchased a new genesis regulator which works great but the hose seems to want to push to the left. A suggestion was to shorten the hose or to get a swivel attached to allow the reg hose more movement. Looking for feedback before i make a purchase.
Thanks
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/13/2012 5:25 AM
Some swivels had a bad rap in the past so don’t buy a used one :) How about a Miflex hose from XSscuba, they have more give to them without the extra service issues of a swivel.

The other option is a long hose (7’) that goes around your body and then to your first. It doesn’t push the reg like a normal hose and if you ever need to donate to another diver it alows them to swim beside you rather than the usual face to face sharing which can’t be done in a wreck or swim thru.
Agojo - 2/13/2012 5:54 AM
"Swivel" another point of failure. The long hose is a good option and if you have a buddy that uses more air than you, share air with the long hose and extend your bottom times. Besides, it is good practice, to practice those skills without it being an emergency.
Rich-D-Fish - 2/13/2012 8:38 AM
My Atomic B2 Reg has a swivel and I love it. Tech guys say it’s an added point of failure. 300+ dives and no issue. If I ever see bubbles coming out in front of my face....I’ll go up! :-)
Subscribed
2012iffy - 2/13/2012 9:42 AM
You guys keep it up! I have an Oceanic Delta 4 that I have not used yet and it has a swivel and have read nothing bad about it. Of course if you have a belief, nothing outside your realm is good.
SeaGoat - 2/13/2012 10:47 AM
I have a couple of different swivels. One set is a cheaper one I bought that is made in China and I haven’t had any problems with them...yet.

My instructor likes Omni Swivels and I bought a pair of those once I got over the sticker shock. (Although I got mine from a dive shop in Minnesota that beat everyone else’s prices and had free shipping.) They’re hand-made in California and each have their own serial numbers. It kind of made me feel like I bought something from Tiffany’s but they are much nicer than the other ones.

It also comes down to what you plan to use them for - the whole cost vs. failure tolerance thing. I’ll use my China cheapies for recreational open-water dives and keep my Omni Swivels for tech stuff.
Subscribed
2012iffy - 2/13/2012 1:02 PM
So DivegirlFWB, there the line is still maintained in your own gear. Though I am a rec diver and have no plans to going techy, I would demand the same safety level of my gear diving a reef. It’s all about safety. You seem to put a casual nature to your recreational diving but 100 feet is 100 feet. If you don’t make it up and it is a gear failure, it is solely your problem. This ’added point of failure’ is nothing more than a convenient catch phrase. Some DIR use a 90 on their AAS 2nd stage hanging on a necklace. "Added point of Failure" doesn’t seem to be used there, but it is justified by their desire.

Beginning to believe with a little research and considering my gear, WWFM.
UWnewbee - 2/13/2012 7:25 PM
I agree with Lattitude, its another working, moving point, not to knock down others feedback about the swivels, but for the price of a swivel compared to a Miflex hose theres not much difference in the wallet, I would go with the Miflex, here compare for yourself, here is a 3/8" M to F swivel, whether 3/8" or 7/16" same price http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUHAA46&Page=1&Term=swivel%20adaptor&Hit=1 or the miflex hose based on a 30" hose
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/XSSLPH.html?&&
UWnewbee - 2/13/2012 7:29 PM
From UWnewbee: I agree with Lattitude, its another working, moving point, not to knock down others feedback about the swivels, but for the price of a swivel compared to a Miflex hose theres not much difference in the wallet, I would go with the Miflex, here compare for yourself, here is a 3/8" M to F swivel, whether 3/8" or 7/16" same price http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUHAA46&Page=1&Term=swivel%20ada-+++-ptor&Hit=1 or the miflex hose ...
These are just comparisons I have provided and does not reflect on your setup, the choice is totally up to you. Good Luck Safe Diving!
Subscribed
scubareed - 2/13/2012 7:32 PM
Thanks for all the fb buddies. Another diver i dive with actually just gor a flex hose put on and says its great so might go with that option. Appreciate all the input
UWnewbee - 2/13/2012 7:36 PM
From 2012iffy: So DivegirlFWB, there the line is still maintained in your own gear. Though I am a rec diver and have no plans to going techy, I would demand the same safety level of my gear diving a reef. It’s all about safety. You seem to put a casual nature to your recreational diving but 100 feet is 100 feet. If you don’t make it up and it is a gear failure, it is solely your problem. This ’added point of failure’ is nothing more than a convenient catch phrase. Some DIR use a 90 on their AAS 2nd s...
Ok I Think here it would be safe to say, That whether its a 20’ dive or 100’ dive, Your Safety is a concern and whatever depth shallow or deep could result in the lesser, ending or aborting the dive, the major ending your life! Get to know your equipment and Never exceed your limits!!
SeaGoat - 2/13/2012 7:57 PM
Just to clarify...I didn’t think I came off as flippant about my gear but maybe to some people I did.

Even when I dive in open water, I have back-up gear and I ALWAYS dive with a buddy close by. I’m willing to accept the failure of one swivel (because I like my swivel) and make my way to the surface. That combined with the fact that I don’t dive alone, improves the chances of having a working regulator to get me up.

At any rate, any time you add gear, you add another possible point of failure and you’ll just have to do your best to maintain it.
Subscribed
2012iffy - 2/13/2012 10:28 PM
From DiveGirlFWB: Just to clarify...I didn’t think I came off as flippant about my gear but maybe to some people I did. Even when I dive in open water, I have back-up gear and I ALWAYS dive with a buddy close by. I’m willing to accept the failure of one swivel (because I like my swivel) and make my way to the surface. That combined with the fact that I don’t dive alone, improves the chances of having a working regulator to get me up. At any rate, any time you add gear, you add another possible po...
I certainly did not even think of ’flippant’. Your statement seemed quite sincere. There has been so many advances in dive technologies since my OW C-dive in ’91. There are also several schools of thought that seem quite secure in the belief that their way is the only way. Each of these groups have certain aspects of their gear selection and procedures that seem very reasonable and logically reasoned then applied through experience. In my future diving some of those ideas will be tried and if successful and comfortable will be adapted. I am proceeding in the ’self-sufficient’ realm as I agree that most often we dive with others ’in the same ocean’. My experience anyway. From that redundant equipment and training will be my next adventure below the surface, but only applied when that training prepares me for the act. Above all else, always dive safe!
Lonefrogman - 2/14/2012 4:36 AM
Recalls that I’m finding

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07293.html made in CA for AGA full face masks http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07200.html imported

A free flowing second stage will empty a tank at one ATM in less than 5 minutes, a ruptured LP hose will empty a tank in 83 seconds. According to the SDI solo manual.

If your planning on your buddy for air encase of a failure, that needs to be part of the whole dive plan. 1/3 in and 1/3 out, leaves 1/3 for your buddy.

My tech buddy uses a swivel, I prefer to go with Milfex. IMHO a swivel has 3 failure points in, out and the swivel it self. That being said I dive with regulators that are 30 years old or older. Understanding your risk’s, plan your escape route and practice it.
Subscribed
2012iffy - 2/14/2012 6:33 AM
From Lonefrogman: Recalls that I’m findinghttp://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07293.html made in CA for AGA full face masks http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07200.html imported A free flowing second stage will empty a tank at one ATM in less than 5 minutes, a ruptured LP hose will empty a tank in 83 seconds. According to the SDI solo manual. If your planning on your buddy for air encase of a failure, that needs to be part of the...
I dive with a body that’s 60 years old. I want to provide it with some newer, tested, proven equipment in an attempt to provide it with 20 or 30 more years of life. I will dive with my Delta 4 w/swivel till it is proven unsafe. I will run an octo with a 5 ft hose from a 19cf pony for an AAS. Dive safe!
Lonefrogman - 2/14/2012 7:34 AM
From 2012iffy: I dive with a body that’s 60 years old. I want to provide it with some newer, tested, proven equipment in an attempt to provide it with 20 or 30 more years of life. I will dive with my Delta 4 w/swivel till it is proven unsafe. I will run an octo with a 5 ft hose from a 19cf pony for an AAS. Dive safe...
I’m 60 also and have been diving those reg’s since I bought them in the 70’s (Conshelf XII and XIV’s). If you can get parts most any metal reg should last that long or longer. My double hose reg’s are mid and early 60’s still divable.

Maybe my next trip to OKC we can get a dive in at Tenkiller.
Subscribed
2012iffy - 2/14/2012 8:48 PM
From Lonefrogman: I’m 60 also and have been diving those reg’s since I bought them in the 70’s (Conshelf XII and XIV’s). If you can get parts most any metal reg should last that long or longer. My double hose reg’s are mid and early 60’s still divable. Maybe my next trip to OKC we can get a dive in at Tenkiller.[/div...
Sounds good! It would be my first. Just relocated there to find work a few months ago and have found Blue Waters Dive Shop. Great bunch so far. Just bought my first BP/W, a OMS aluminum w/the Comfort II and am getting it rigged. Planning a trip to Marathon and hope to dive with Abyss there. Have an old Brut that still breathes real good and it is over 20 years old. Will probably use it on my AAS. Got a deal on the Delta 4 I could not pass up.