Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Have you practiced dropping your weights?
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/13/2012 4:57 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 6

When my daughter got a new Oceanic BC with weight pockets we went to Emerald Lagoon in Key Largo and she tried dropping her weights over a training platform and found they came out easier if she pulled accross her body, ie left hand for right pocket, right hand for left pocket.

Even weight belts can be a problem, I saw a diver drop his belt only to have it catch on his dive knife which was straped to the outside of his leg, that’s why they teach you to put it on the inside of the leg!

Here is a tragic case where the diver should have practiced first and also remembered that his dry suit could provide lift. I know I’m going to get flamed for this but I’m not impressed with most Public Service Diver’s skills, if they only dive during drills they don’t dive enough to be good at it. http://hamptonro-+++-ads.com/2012/03/questions-linger-about-chesapeake-officers-dive-gear-after-death
dalehall - 3/13/2012 7:55 AM
Just read this.. So, I’ve got to kinda agree with on the diver skills. At least in this story. If the weights don’t drop, then drop the whole BC. Where was his buddy during all this? They said his partner didn’t think about inflating the dry suit either. So, he was close but offered no useful help. Did he run out of air? If so, again, that falls on the diver skills. Just like any other accident, it wasn’t one specific thing that caused the accident, it was an unbroken string of errors that caused the death. That particular progam is in dire need of revamping the safety and proficeincy guidelines from what you get from the story. Glad to see they are standing them down for a couple months to look at everything.
SaintsReturn - 3/13/2012 10:20 AM
Wow, long article that only posed more questions. I own a Zeagle Ranger and have dove with it ever since i was certified in one back in 02. I used to practice pulling the rip cord to ensure the weights would fall and that the plactic was not damaged. I do not do it as much as i should. I will say that through a couple of test i have found the cord to be difficult to pull, the weights did not always "drop" right out and it sucks to rewrap the cord. The newer methods are far better. That being said, since i am aware of how mine acts, i have learned and practiced to pull and shake the bc to drop weights. This may sound wierd to many of you, but overall i love Zeagle and will continue to dive with their equipment.

There is so much wrong with that happened and it can be as simple as the cord being wrapped wrong. Hopefully they (sherrifs department) fix this and it sucks we lost a life to find all this out. I am curious to what really happened though. When did he try to dump weights, after he was out of air? why not remove the system and buddy breathe to the surface? odd..
John_giu - 3/14/2012 6:47 AM
I think this is good advise! Just like checking your "UN-LOADED" GUN. We become complacent about our equipment and in doing so our safety. I always check my tank valve, take at least a puff off my regulator and ocoto, inflate my BC, and make sure the family jewels are comfortable before every dive (one can never be too care about that). A quick check may not protect against an unforeseen failure but it beats splashing just to bob up out of breath from the valve you were sure you opened.

To the weight check, with my weight integrated B.C. I’m usually checking that they wont fall out so the release gets checked when I load them.
lerpy - 3/15/2012 7:51 AM
I have to give a big thanks, having only been diving a year I honestly never thought to practice this. In certification I practiced taking a belt on and off, but I don’t use a belt, I use pockets now, and my buddy has integrated. This is a skill that I will be trying and practiciing at the start of this season in my buddy’s pool.

As a new diver I have been kind of watching the buddy system and I have actualy been surprised how many people don’t seem to do a good check of everything. I have gotten looks like "who’s mr hardcore" as my buddy and I always check our equipment individualy, and then check one anothers, then talk about how we will dive. Once we hit the water we do another quick check before decent, and even when we get to depth we do a quick acknowledgment that everything is working ok and we are good to leave the line. Does this seem over the top to people? I ended up diving with out my regular buddy while on a trip and was surprised that the people in my threesome didn’t really seem to care that I wore my octo around my neck and in an emergency to take my reg as I use the 7’ hose config, or really talk about a plan.

I also am a pilot, and I have learned, no matter how many times I get in the same plane, and go through the same checklists, I do it every single time the same way, that’s what makes it safe. I am surprised when I see people just strap on and jump in.

Anyhow, thanks for the this as I am now going to practice this which will make me safer.
MDW - 4/17/2012 12:09 PM
I propose people practice some other, more important skills before worrying about "dumping weight" It is never a good idea to drop your weights at depth. This will only lead to rapid, out of control ascents. Instead, practice swimming your rig up while "heavy" and/or using alternate bouyancy sources (dry suit, lift bag, buddy’s BC, etc.). Another important skill to practice is monitoring your gas source. Also, practice switching to your secondary gas source (pony, buddy’s reg, etc.) All of these skills will allow you to make a nice controlled ascent. Once at the surface, just orally inflate, or if you still can’t stay afloat for some reason then drop your weights at the surface (try not to drop them on another diver’s head below). This should be an absolute last resort.

As for checking everything ahead of the dive, I’m all for it. If your regs & BC are working properly and your buddy’s are too (and especially if you both have your own gas redundancy and the ability to share each others), there should be no reason to ever get in a situation where you feel the need to "dump" weight and rocket to the surface.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/18/2012 6:16 AM
The only time I ever "dumped weight" at depth was back in 72 with the old style over center bail release, it snagged on some wreakage and opened, I was able to swim and pull myself back down to the belt :) I added a D ring over the bail so that wouldn’t happen again!

My daughter practiced dropping her intergrated weights over a shallow yellow trainning platform so they would be easy to find, you could drop soft weights in a pool but they would frown on you dropping hard weights on the tile$!

The Public Safety Divers in the story were trying to swim up without dumping any or all of their weights and sadly didn’t make it. The other divers in the rescue unit found they couldn’t dump their weights either, that’s why I started this thread about practicing dumping your weights.

Let’s start another thread about other praticing other skills