Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Lake Pend Oreille?
scubafly - 4/06/2012 4:52 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

I recently bought a house in Sandpoint and was wondering if anyone out there has done any diving in Lake Pend Oreille? I read an article awhile back about a locomotive and a few rail cars off Hawkins Point, I believe.

Would like to hear first hand accounts from anyone that has been there, done that.

Thanks!

Kurt
Subscribed
digicus - 4/09/2012 8:06 AM
Kurt,

Check in with Divers West in CDA- 1308 East Best Avenue Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814
(208) 664-0751

We made the trip over a couple of years ago and attended the 2nd annual Underwater Easter egg hunt and had a blast! The girls woosied out but Dave ( Diver 763 ) and I had a ball. Call Melissa and Jim Flodin, They are are Great! We stop in to chat with them whenever we go though CDA.

Steve G

Libby, MT

Digicus
badintexas - 4/11/2012 12:33 PM
Hey Kurt, Congratulations on your house purchase. Sounds very exciting. I wanted to remind you that you can do a search for members in that area and email them to see if they’ve been in Lake Pend Oreille. Some members check forum topics and reply daily but some don’t. After your dive, would you mind adding it to our dive sites so that we have more information on it?
Subscribed
scubafly - 4/12/2012 1:05 PM
Thanks for the replies! I will give Diver West a call, as well as a shop I found here in town. Once I actually dive, I will definitely post a little blurb about it on divebuddy. I am anticipating dry suit temps and low vis, but to be able to dive in my backyard would be awesome! (not to mention a $$ saver)

Thanks again,

Kurt
Subscribed
digicus - 4/12/2012 2:23 PM
Kurt,

Lake Pend Oreille is drysuit water right up until it freezes over. :>) Vis is pretty poor in spring but does get better in Summer and Fall. Pretty much same conditions all over the Northwest. Keep in mind you’re altitude (2064’) diving and will be pretty much anywhere up here too. Dive Safe!

Steve G

digicus
Subscribed
scubafly - 4/15/2012 9:26 PM
Thanks Steve,

I have the certification, so I’ll look around to see if I can rent one... and I appreciate the heads up on the altitude. Maybe it is time to schedule an altitude diving course.

I swam in the lake last summer, and thought the vis was worth diving... once I was nestled into a poly liner and dry suit!

Kurt
Subscribed
digicus - 4/15/2012 11:50 PM
Kurt,

To dive the northwest, one only needs a drysuit, chainsaw to cut the ice and a four-wheeler to haul it! Dive Safe :>)
Subscribed
digicus - 4/15/2012 11:51 PM
If you find out about that loco, let me know. Maybe I can get Diver763 to go over and we can dive it!
Subscribed
scubafly - 4/19/2012 3:43 AM
Sounds good! I’ll post something when I dive it (or hear a dive report first hand).

Kurt
Subscribed
dbon - 2/17/2015 8:58 PM
Hi! Sorry to intrude on your conversation.. I’m an instructor from Alberta, Canada. My family is having a reunion at Farragut state park. I heard about the scuba diving on the lake and I would like to do discover scuba for my family. I have all the gear and compressor. Just wondering the surface water temp is and how deep before you hit the thermamcline,
and where would the best place to do discover scuba’s be. Some of my family are certified already and have dry suits. So we would also like to get in some "real" dives, the lake sounds interesting:)