Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Rigs to Reefs
Anonymous - 10/17/2012 7:09 PM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 4

I am interested in changing my career path and have taken a strong liking to my new found hobby of diving. I am intrigued by the organizations such as Rigs to Reefs and am interested in learning more about the opportunities for employment or these types of organizations or other diving related companies. Does anyone have any recommendation on where to look for these types of jobs, or any recommendation on similar organizations/companies?
Anonymous - 10/19/2012 10:21 AM
I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer but I think the first thing you should ask yourself is what is your background? Do you have skills other than being a diver that would be of use to these organizations?
Anonymous - 10/21/2012 9:50 PM
That’s a fair enough question.

I am a district manager for a multinational company. I am 27 years old, fluent in English and Spanish and was honored as International Salesman of the year in 2011 (my first full year with the company). I have already been tapped for another promotion within the next year (to the regional head of sales position) however I am looking to reduce my time away from home because my wife and I are trying to start a family. My degree is in International Business with a focus on management. Not to root my own horn, but I think I could bring a lot to the table for an organization of this type.
Anonymous - 10/25/2012 12:52 PM
I’m with you bud. I guess there is not a lot of experience within this board on this subject. I sure would like to find a way to make money in a scuba related field. I’m about as bored as I could possibly be with the 8-5 world. I have an awesome set up with my current employer but I’m bored and I would still trade it in a heart beat for a scuba related position. And if the job included actual underwater time, I’d take a pay cut without hesitation.

Good luck to you!!
Anonymous - 1/13/2013 9:06 AM
You’re best bet is to contact the organizations by phone and just start asking questions. I haven’t seen any reps from the rigs to reefs programs join DiveBuddy. They are all nonprofit so the pay won’t be great. And I’m sure it’s mostly admin work they do and very little actual diving. Only when they have a rig or ship ready to sink do they do some actual diving. I’m sure there are also organizations that are nonprofit that monitor reef health, which should require more underwater time.