Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Cozumel
lerpy - 10/23/2012 12:07 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 11

Good timing as it seens to be a topic. Looking at possibly hitting Cozumel in December never been and looking for a good dive operator to potentialy use. Recommendations, personal experiences or advice??
WB2GLP - 10/23/2012 1:06 PM
I’ve used Scuba Club Cozumel in the past. I would go back in a heartbeat. All inclusive. Food was fantastic with great variety on the menu. Very reasonalble rates. A short walk to town and shopping. Oh, the diving is fantastic and so is their staff on land and sea. http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com/specials.html
Subscribed
zielit - 10/24/2012 6:18 AM
Allegro Occidental resort (decent 3.5-4 stars) and ProDive Mexico (on site). I did 16 dives with them in one week all (flight from Toronto, resort and dives) below 2K budget. If you wait I plan to go there again in Jan or early Feb. :)
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/24/2012 8:58 AM
badintexas - 10/24/2012 10:10 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Have you two met? http://www.divebuddy.com/forum/23997/december-in-cozumel/ As for operators I would use Blue XTsea or http://www.divebuddy.com/profile.aspx?MemID=15112...
LOL @ LatitudeAdjustment!!
badintexas - 10/24/2012 10:11 AM
From zielit: Allegro Occidental resort (decent 3.5-4 stars) and ProDive Mexico (on site). I did 16 dives with them in one week all (flight from Toronto, resort and dives) below 2K budget. If you wait I plan to go there again in Jan or early Feb. :)...
I’ve heard that Allegro Occidental is AMAZING and decently priced!
Subscribed
zielit - 10/24/2012 12:12 PM
Very nicely run dive shop. Often Nitrox is free (I mean there’s no difference between air and nitrox fill) but you just go with whatever mix they have (usually between 30-32). All you need is to show them your speciality card. The crew from ProDive is very friendly and very well organized. At the end of your stay you’ll get the "ticket" with all your dives listed with whom (DM) you did it and which dive site you dove. They have 4 dives a day and Monday and/or Wednesday night dive if there is interest in it. So in a week you can see most of south-western dive sites (most people say the best part of the Coz). Actually I have to tell Hans (he runs this place) maybe to drop in on DB, so I don’t have to advertise for him :)
Subscribed
lerpy - 10/26/2012 1:43 PM
Really appreciate all the advice. I have booked the Iberostar resort awesome price. They have a PADI dive operator linked to them Dressel divers that look ok, serm to get good reviews. Anyone know anything about them?
Subscribed
zielit - 10/27/2012 11:35 AM
Iberostar is just short walk on the beach from Allegro, as I mentioned I some people were either coming over to dive with us, and I’m pretty sure they’d also pick you up from your pier if you choose to dive with ProDive.

Anyway it’s really hard to "go wrong" with the shops in this area.
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/30/2012 6:41 AM
From zielit: Iberostar is just short walk on the beach from Allegro, as I mentioned I some people were either coming over to dive with us, and I’m pretty sure they’d also pick you up from your pier if you choose to dive with ProDive. Anyway it’s really hard to "go wrong" with the shops in this area....
Actually you can be wronged by some shops in town, a shop called ProDive that sells gear but supposably not connected to the dive op charged my credit card USD $330.00 for a dive mask, all of the prices in the shop are marked in Mexican Peso’s. The receit was marked pesos but what I signed was in USD so watch what you sign because that’s what the bank sees. You sign it and you’re stuck, BoA isn’t going to straighten it out :(
Subscribed
zielit - 10/30/2012 10:58 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Actually you can be wronged by some shops in town, a shop called ProDive that sells gear but supposably not connected to the dive op charged my credit card USD $330.00 for a dive mask, all of the prices in the shop are marked in Mexican Peso’s. The receit was marked pesos but what I signed was in USD so watch what you sign because that’s what the bank sees. You sign it and you’re stuck, BoA isn’t going to straighten it out :...
Oops that must have hurt... but I’m pretty sure that cannot be the guys I’m talking about (full name ProDive Mexico please check the website if logo is the same http://www.prodivemex.com/ I really wonder if those are same guys) As far as I know they have head office and main location in Playa del Carmen and on Cozumel island only this branch at Allegro resort, nothing in town. Secondly I’m pretty sure they’d correct such a mistake.
farnorthdiver - 10/31/2012 1:32 PM
Hey I have dove Cozumel twice in the past year and it was AWESOME. I had a private operator that came highly recommended and for a good reason. I dove with him in Dec last year and then again this past August. Even did a night dive also. His name is Luis and his operation is called...Adventure Discovery. His "office lady" is Linda (Linda @ cozumel.net)

Tell them David from TEXAS sent you.