Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive spot in Key Largo, Florida
mypebs - 12/02/2012 9:19 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 11

We are planning to go to Key Largo in Feb

Can someone please recommend a good dive shop and place to stay

Plan on diving for 2 days

Dive site interests: wrecks and some reefs

Thank you

Bruce
Agojo - 12/02/2012 4:16 PM
I used Ocean Divers and stayed next door to them (don’t remember name of hotel), both was ok but I would recommend driving another couple hours south to Key West. Stay at Doubletree (free shuttle to Divers Direct and Duval Street for the sunset at Mallory Square at west end of Duvall Street). Dive with Seaduction (I used them when was Sub Tropic and now Seaduction and both times excellent crew, prices, and parking). They will also get you 2 dives same trip on the USS Vandenberg which is a much better dive than the Speigal Grove in Key Largo. The only other wreck in Florida that would be better is the Big "O" in Pensacola if you are ready for 140’ dive to the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Options for diving, hotels, and all around enjoyment are more in Key West.
DIVERHERB - 12/02/2012 7:01 PM
I have dove most of the keys and personally I would probably forgo Key west unless you are there for the night life. Key Biscayne offers a nice wall drift dive with depths up to 100 ft. The middle keys are good to, Islemarada and Marathon. From them you can hit the three big wrecks in less time. The best diving in Florida I find actually in West Palm beach, short boat rides, deep water and great wrecks/reefs and tons of sea life. Just about any dive operation will give you the same service and prices, as they are very competive. Just depends on what you are looking for. Capt. Slates in the middle keys is very good and well known and they have been there for ever. They also have a little motel on site.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/03/2012 7:05 AM
From DIVERHERB: I have dove most of the keys and personally I would probably forgo Key west unless you are there for the night life. Key Biscayne offers a nice wall drift dive with depths up to 100 ft. The middle keys are good to, Islemarada and Marathon. From them you can hit the three big wrecks in less time. The best diving in Florida I find actually in West Palm beach, short boat rides, deep water and great wrecks/reefs and tons of sea life. Just about any dive operation will give you the same service and p...

Have you dove Key Biscayne lately? It’s got some great diving but the last time I was there the park consession was strickly a snorkel operation. It hasn’t been the same since the Rainbow Reef crew moved to the Keys.

For Key Largo I use Ocean Divers also and Counch Republic a little farther south.

Key West is mostly shallow diving, I’ll wait for the Van to get more marine life growing on it before I do that but anytime I’m in the Keys we run down one afternoon to KW to see the sunset a Mallory Square.

If you were going for more than two days I would look into the Spree liveaboard. More/better (usually 5) dives and cheaper than staying in a Keys hotel and paying a la carte for dayboat dives and meals.

Agree that WPB/Jupiter area offers more bang for the buck. Great offshore diving and Blue Heron Bridge
coconuttele - 12/03/2012 11:17 AM
Pirate Island Divers in Key Largo
freeflow22 - 12/04/2012 4:29 AM
Hi! I was just there earlier this year. Horizon Divers will take you to Molasses Reef and Christ of the Abiss (sp?) Weather permitting. Check out some of my photos from my dive log there. Bluest water you will ever see! Theres also a famous wreck over there but you have to have advanced certs to go b/c max depth is 130ft. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! :)
dalehall - 12/04/2012 6:52 AM
I have also used Ocean Divers in Key Largo.. Great staff and great service.. Molasses Reef was an awesome dive for sea life.. Of course, you also have the Spiegal Grove and the Duane wrecks.. When we went, we didn’t saty in Key Largo, although there are some nice places around.. We went a little further in and stayed at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key.. They also have an on-site dive shop (Dive Duck Key) but I didn’t get to dive with them due to weather.
DIVERHERB - 12/04/2012 8:10 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Have you dove Key Biscayne lately? It’s got some great diving but the last time I was there the park consession was strickly a snorkel operation. It hasn’t been the same since the Rainbow Reef crew moved to the Keys. For Key Largo I use Ocean Divers also and Counch Republic a little farther south. Key West is mostly shallow diving, I’ll wait for the Van to get more marine life growing on it before I do that but anytime I’m in the Keys we run down one afternoon to KW to see the sunset a Mallory S...
It’s been about 2 yrs since I dove Biscayne, really sorry to hear that they are doing only snorkle trips now. They had the greatest drift dive on the "wall" which had a depth of 100’ to the sand, used to love doing it. I never liked Key West for diving. The upper and middle keys are always the best. But that being said, I still think the most bang for the buck is from West Palm to Jupiter, favorite being the West Palm "wreck trek" dive.
Subscribed
mypebs - 12/10/2012 4:48 PM
From freeflow22: Hi! I was just there earlier this year. Horizon Divers will take you to Molasses Reef and Christ of the Abiss (sp?) Weather permitting. Check out some of my photos from my dive log there. Bluest water you will ever see! Theres also a famous wreck over there but you have to have advanced certs to go b/c max depth is 130ft. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! :)...

Thank you for the info
Subscribed
mypebs - 12/10/2012 4:52 PM
From dalehall: I have also used Ocean Divers in Key Largo.. Great staff and great service.. Molasses Reef was an awesome dive for sea life.. Of course, you also have the Spiegal Grove and the Duane wrecks.. When we went, we didn’t saty in Key Largo, although there are some nice places around.. We went a little further in and stayed at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key.. They also have an on-site dive shop (Dive Duck Key) but I didn’t get to dive with them due to weather....

Thanks Great Stuff

Just 2 days with my daughter B/4 she heads to school
Subscribed
mypebs - 12/11/2012 5:39 AM
From dalehall: I have also used Ocean Divers in Key Largo.. Great staff and great service.. Molasses Reef was an awesome dive for sea life.. Of course, you also have the Spiegal Grove and the Duane wrecks.. When we went, we didn’t saty in Key Largo, although there are some nice places around.. We went a little further in and stayed at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key.. They also have an on-site dive shop (Dive Duck Key) but I didn’t get to dive with them due to weather....

Dale

Do you recommend we just stay at Hawks Cay and dive Duck Key

Sounds convenient stay and dive without driving, however Ocean Divers sounds great

As long as Duck Key dive shop has good staff and we can get tp Molasses reef one day and some wrecks the next.. that would work great

Thanks for the info

Bruce