Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Jamaica
lerpy - 2/22/2013 9:42 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Just looking for some input on a couple of dive operators in the Ocho Rios Jamaica area. Resort Divers and Water Sports, and Jamaica Scuba Divers Ltd. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these operations, or can recommend an operation in the area that is good.
John_giu - 2/23/2013 9:24 AM
I have dove with Sandals Resorts in many of their Jamaican resorts. Jamaica is not the best diving in the Caribbean but it beats diving the cold Jersey Shore waters hear in the northeast. As a Sandals guest you get two to three dives a day free of charge (well except for the price of a Sandals vacation), plus some optional pay for dives. They don’t take off resorts divers,

but if you are not book with a resort yet you might want to consider Sandals. Morning dives at most resorts are reserved for certified divers and usually take on deeper dives, walls, and drifts. Afternoon dive are new bees and resort divers. Book dives as soon as you get there as they might require you to do a check out first dive.
allstarwa - 3/03/2013 6:41 PM
I echo the same as John, we use Couples which is the same. Two dives a day, never crowded. Not the best diving, but my wife and I just got back from diving in Cancun and honestly I would take Jamaica any day. Reefs have some algae and if it’s rainy the water is a bit mudy. The north side of the island, Ocho Rios in our two trips there is blown out more often than not. Negril tends not to droup real quickly.
John_giu - 3/14/2013 5:18 PM
ALLSTAR,

Sorry about your Cancun trip. We were in Cancun 2012 also. I would have picked Cozumel but. my wife won a vacation to Cancun so I sucked it up and went anyway ;-) .

I booked with Scorpio Divers in Cancun for a trip to Cozumel. They picked me up at the hotel, drive me to Plya and put me with Dive Ballam who took the boat right to dive Cozumel. The trip was worth the trouble. We dove The Devil’s Throat and Cedral. Should you get back to Mexico do Cozumel