Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Playa del Carmen/Cozumel dive shops/fav trips
goodt_go - 3/06/2013 1:29 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

My hubby and I are heading to Playa this Sat and I’d like to know what dive shops people have had good experiences with and what dives you liked best. Any input is appreciated! Will be my first warm water dive as I am from the NW and BRAND new to Scuba. Tonight will be my 8th dive :)
Subscribed
sk290 - 3/06/2013 9:08 PM
Hi Janney and welcome to divebuddy! I’ve always dove with Dive Paradise and stayed at Hotel Cozumel while in Cozumel. They will come pick you up and drop you off at the pier at back of the hotel. In fact, they stop at just about every hotel’s pier to pick people up and drop them off. They’ve been around forever and are a fun and friendly bunch. There are tons of good sites for you to dive, just tell them what you would like to see (for example seahorses) and they’ll take you to places where they often see them and work very hard to show you things. They break up in groups with a dive master and he’ll point things out to you. Being a new diver you might not see things as easily so stick with the DM.

I’ve never been to Playa so you’ll have to come back and post your pics. I’m so excited for you (and so jealous too!). Have a great trip and dive safe.

Sandra
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/07/2013 5:18 AM
Hotel Cozumel is nice but it sounds like you already have a place to stay in PDC. ChochoDivers in Coz is my favorite http://www.divebuddy.com/profile.aspx?MemID=15112 and being a small boat gives your hubby and you more say in where you are diving or better yet gives Chucho the chance to put you on the best spot for new divers.
WarmWaterTurner - 3/07/2013 1:39 PM
We love Reef Quest Divers at the Blue Parrot Hotel. Steve is the owner and runs a small and very safe operation. Have a great trip - we will be there on the 18ht of April and cant wait.
Subscribed
goodt_go - 3/21/2013 11:35 AM
We are back and dove with Reef Marina in Playacar. They were AMAZING! We did Cenote dives, wreck dives and reef dives. I highly recommend this shop. Max of 4 divers per guide and their equipment is all less than 2 years old. They stored all our gear each night even though we were not staying in the resort and had it all ready for us every AM. These guys are first class. I will upload some pics!