Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

BCD Jacket vs. Wings buoyancy problem
CptFlipper - 3/20/2013 10:34 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Hello All,

I’ve been diving with my cressi aquapro 5 for a long time for recreational only and when I switched to tech I used a Hollis SMS 100 double bladder. For the first couple of dives I felt that by buoyancy was terrible. I have adjusted my weight system to balance out but still felt kinda strange. Could it be the wing BCD or just all the equipment on me that made it a little hard to control buoyancy?
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/21/2013 3:34 AM
With 100 pounds of lift you’ll need a lot of equipment for ballast otherwise the bubble running around inside you wing will have you tilting left, right, up and down and as soon as you roll to correct it the bubble will rush to the other corner and then you start all over. Even my 33# wing will do that if I’m not carrying a pony or stage bottle.
ScubaDreaminn - 3/21/2013 5:16 AM
I agree with LA above, also I would like to add that just based on the info you gave I will assume that you just started diving side-mount??? That in itself takes some patience, practice and ingenuity with getting your trim/buoyancy dialed in. If this is the case, take a day in a pool to relax and have fun and dial it in, even then you may still need another 20+ dives to get the hang of it. I can attest that after diving for over 30+ years I can trim out any jacket/ BP/W (singles/doubles on back), but put me in side mount and I’m like a Fish out of water (lack of experience)...:( But as I said you can do it, just take your time and get use to the whole new setup...:)
Subscribed
caves4me - 3/21/2013 2:54 PM
SMS 100 wing was designed for sidemount diving, tapered at the top wide at the bottom. It’s also a fairly long and narrow wing, I think it has 50 or 52 lbs of lift. That’s a lot lift and area if you’re using a single cylinder.
Subscribed
CptFlipper - 3/23/2013 10:00 PM
I’m very happy with all the useful information and I do agree with you guys I do need more dives to burn in the experience. I am seeing some improvement after each dive and I do need more dives. Lots of people are asking me about this BC and I am not able to give them a straight answer.

Thanks again
DiveBuddyChgo - 4/06/2013 8:47 PM
If your diving with tec. gear. Then I shouldn’t have to tell you what to wear. At that level of diving never have anyone tell you what to use. And that includes your dive profile and everything else. If your tec. diving then you alone are responsible for your gear and set up. I can’t tell you whats safe or not. A good tec. class is my answer.
DiveBuddyChgo - 4/07/2013 4:32 AM
But personally for myself. I would add a bungie system to squeeze the air out of the bladder.
Subscribed
CptFlipper - 4/07/2013 10:16 PM
Do you think that the bungie system will balance the air in the BC? So that air will be distributed across the wings?
Subscribed
caves4me - 4/08/2013 11:36 AM
It can’t hurt, considering the wing was designed to have a retention system.