Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

SOLO DIVING WITH BUDDIES ?
Anonymous - 2/11/2008 9:28 AM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 7

OK, HERE WE GO AGAIN. PICTURE THIS. YOU ARE WITH 6 BUDDIES DIVING BLACK WATER. YOU HAVE TANK BANGERS,RATTLES,STROBES,GOOD KNIFE&LINE CUTTER,BRITE LIGHT,SAFTEY SAUSAGE,SPARE AIR OR PONY,GOOD HAND SIGNALS, GOOD PLAN,BUBBLE WATCHER TOP SIDE,OH! DID I MENTION "blackwater diving!", & "current"? I know I have a few "special" tricks I use. How bout you guys? scratch marks along the bottom,lines stretched between anchors,buddy lanyards, twitching lights, what else? If we do this one right, everyone can benefit from this topic and make you a little safer. Thanking you all in advance for you input.TR
Anonymous - 2/11/2008 7:26 PM
Not sure what you mean about black water. I assume you are diving in some kind of septic tank. Perhaps with several people flushing causing the current??? I`m just impressed you got 6 people to go with you. I guess it takes all kinds of people to make the world go `round. ;) Dive safe. -Dave
Anonymous - 2/12/2008 6:10 AM
Tank marker lights like in night diving might help a little. I would make teams of two with a lanyard if no intangelment hazards are knowen. Next I would set a max. down time for all divers so they should surface about the same time. Then have fun!
Anonymous - 2/12/2008 6:22 AM
i would bet that blackwater & current would make this a river dive. being there is current, i would also have some picks or screwdrivers with me.
Anonymous - 2/12/2008 6:28 AM
I`VE BEEN IN BLACKWATER SO BLACK THAT A GOOD HID LIGHT COULDN`T CUT PAST 6 FEET OF WATER ! BUT WHEN YOU`RE ON THE BOTTOM LOOKING AT ROCKBEDS FOR MEGLEDON TEETH, YOU ONLY NEED A FOOT OR TWO OF VIS. YOU BETTER BE CURRENT ORIENTED & GOOD WITH NAVIGATION.
Anonymous - 2/12/2008 8:21 AM
sounds like a cooper river dive. i want meg teeth, not sure I want a black water dive. the clear water method is easier, however due to its depths, you have much less time than you do in a river environment. as for tips, ive been told that screw drivers or spikes are a must, lights are pretty useless for marking other divers at least, and that you SHOULD NOT do this dive until you are a solid diver.
Anonymous - 2/12/2008 8:43 AM
if it is a cooper river dive, you can stay shallow 16-18 feet and have a vis anywhere from 6 to 20 feet. go below 20 and you lose the vis quickly.screw drivers or picks are a must, you really need to be confident in your skills for the cooper river. i do not suggest anyone go out there by themselves unless they really know the rivers personality. she can get "swift". diving the incoming tide is usually better.always try to come up next to the boat, there are alot of uneducated boaters out there that do not know the laws of the displayed dive flag or bouy.there was a diver killed a few years ago on the cooper river by a drive over.as far as diving goes, the cooper river is extreme and not for the weak at heart. i used to be a firefighter, so, with that being said, i just love diving the cooper !!!
Anonymous - 2/18/2008 11:56 AM
a few of us diehards are going this sat.23rd, water temp. is around 56 brrrrrrrrr.