Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Key Largo Diving
seaturtle - 8/26/2013 2:10 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 24

Does anyone have recommendations for a dive outfitter in Key Largo Florida? I’m going on a short -3 day- trip with my family. My 2 teenage sons will be brand new divers, newly certified this year. Thanks!
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 8/26/2013 6:58 PM
We’re going too, and using Quiescence Diving Services Inc for the morning dives and will be looking for a different service to do afternoon dives. This will be my first time diving at the keys so not sure how it will turn out. I do know that the dive services don’t provide a dive guide unless you pay extra. Enjoy, we’ll be there Sept 4-9th.
Subscribed
seaturtle - 8/26/2013 7:21 PM
Have you ever used them before? Why are you not using them in the afternoon?

Thanks.
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 8/26/2013 7:27 PM
I didn’t make the arrangements. I’m traveling with a group and they set up the trip. They only scheduled morning dives. So a few of us want to dive in the afternoons and might just use the diving services connected to the hotel where were staying, Key Largo Inn, just because its convient. We might check out Horizon Diving too. We would use a different service in the afternoon merely to have a different experience.
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 8/26/2013 7:30 PM
I’ve never dove the Keys, so not familiar with the diving services. I’ve had friends that have used Quiescence before and they were happy with it. I believe their boats only take out smaller groups. I’ve followed Horizon on FB.
Subscribed
seaturtle - 8/26/2013 7:56 PM
Thanks! I hope you have an awesome trip!

We’ll be going in October. Do you mind if I ask you after you’re back...how you liked it?
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 8/26/2013 8:35 PM
Sure..... :)
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 8/26/2013 9:02 PM
I’ve been very happy with Ocean Divers in Key Largo.
Agojo - 8/27/2013 3:48 AM
Ocean divers does 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. They also partner with next door lodge/hotel (casa del mar, I think). Was happy with both as very convenient.
Subscribed
seaturtle - 8/27/2013 5:45 AM
Thank you Steve & Agojo.
Subscribed
walterthethird - 8/27/2013 8:12 AM
Hit up the guys at Sea Dwellers. Make sure to dive the Speigel Grove.
Subscribed
seaturtle - 8/27/2013 8:38 AM
Thanks Walter.
dontdiveenuf - 8/27/2013 1:07 PM
I dove Key Largo last April (2012) and used Rainbow Reef and really enjoyed them. Clean, well-maintained boats, good quality rental gear right at the dock, and friendly knowledgeable crew. A bonus for me was that they were right next to a Courtyard Marriott - rolled out of bed, bounced off the dock, and into the boat. Just a couple blocks away from ’Divers Direct’ in case you need to buy some goodies or gear, too. Oh, and be sure to visit the original ’African Queen’ from the movie - it’s been refurbished and they (not Rainbow Reef) give cruises thru the canal. Enjoy! :-)

http://www.rainbowreef.us/
Subscribed
seaturtle - 8/27/2013 1:26 PM
Thank you, & I don’t dive enough either...:)
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 8/27/2013 2:27 PM
I don’t think they do but if you want one you have to pay extra.... I’d rather have one but that really shoots the cost up quit a bit.
Subscribed
diverray - 8/27/2013 3:01 PM
Last spring I used Scuba Doo, located on the dock next to Oceans Divers. They provided a dive guide for the boat for no extra cost. They are the only shop that I found that included a dive guide. He was very nice and helpful. I would think this would be especially helpful for new divers. We did two dives in the morning, then two in the afternoon.
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 8/27/2013 9:10 PM
When I went with OD in 2003 to dive the Speigel Grove I was paired with another single diver without any fuss. There was another odd diver and she was made part of a triple.
Subscribed
uwlover4u - 8/29/2013 7:43 AM
There really are no bad charters in Key Largo. It’s the best reef and wreck diving in the Keys and all the operators take good care of you or else they go out of business within 6 months.
Subscribed
rjspreckelsen - 8/29/2013 8:39 PM
When I dove with Keys Dive Center they just paired me up with someone else. It wasn’t a problem at all. I did 7 or so dives with them. Good place, I would recommend.
I used to work with the owner of scuba do. Great guy. Never dove with them though.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/02/2013 8:09 AM
"Do all Keys’ dive operators require a guide? What’s up with that?"

They all require a buddy as no DM/guide leads the dive in the Key’s like many Carib islands do so you need to find your own way back to the boat and make sure you know which boat you are on because it’s a parking lot out there.

You can find a buddy at the boat but beware of three somes as neither looks out for the third person :(

There are still some cattleboat operators in the KL, one that I know of will sometimes put snorkelers on the same boat as the divers so you end up with a shallow beat up reef :( Looe Reef Resort in the lower Key’s also does that.

The one that had a history of leaving divers behind is gone!
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 9/02/2013 10:15 AM
Thanks Latitude..... I’ll be in the keys on Wednesday and you’ve shared some good info.
Subscribed
seaturtle - 9/05/2013 1:15 PM
Thanks everyone for all your comments! Have a great time oceanfloor! Happy diving!