Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Costa Rica information
skyking - 10/04/2013 5:38 PM
Category: General
Replies: 1

Has anyone dove Costa Rica? If so what location and dive shop?

Steve
Subscribed
zielit - 10/06/2013 1:46 AM
I asked similar question some time ago (see topic here).

I stayed at Occidental Grand Papagayo in Guanacaste region. There is plenty and different kind of shops there. I knew only about Diving Safaris and Lisa from Rich Coast Diving replied to my post. A bit too late as I already booked some dives with Safaris :) and they were also closer to my resort. So I can’t say too much about RichCoast other than I found their shop while touring the village and it looks like nice operations they have there. When it comes to Diving Safaris, they’re not bad, and trying hard, but I’ve seen better (and worse as well).

I was a bit disappointed as I really wanted to dive Catalina Islands (they require minimum 3 divers for this trip) and when we spoke before I got to CR I was convinced that should be no problem. Yet, there was not enough people interested while I was there.

When it comes to diving on Pacific side the vis is not as good as in Atlantic gulf region, but still beats tenfold any lake, quarry or river I dove at home (ON, Canada). You’ll see way more of marine life (rays in particular). I haven’t see any Mantas as I was off season. To see them you need to sacrifice a bit as they prefer colder waters. I did see some small and mid size white tip sharks though, few eagle rays, plenty of sand and sting rays, two or three octos and gazillions of box fish.

All in all I’d say 3.5 maybe weak 4 out of 5.