Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Just bought a dive computer, how do I attach it so it doesn’t drag?
RebekahJP - 11/15/2013 8:52 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 17

I’m making a Christmas wish list on Amazon for all the accessories I still need for diving, but I can’t figure out exactly what I need to get to attach the dive computer to my BC so it doesn’t hang down, drag, etc. I’ve been told a D-ring, or a lanyard, or a retractable lanyard, etc., but I can’t find anything on Amazon that looks like it is just what I would need. What do you use?
dalehall - 11/15/2013 9:21 AM
Check out LeisurePro.com for the lanyards/retractables they have.. I have a wrist computer, but I use a retractable for my SPG.
RockRat2008 - 11/15/2013 9:46 AM
Something like this from LeisurePro works well. I had one and when I upgraded my BC I was able to integrate most of mine into my BC now so I passed it on to my wife.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqurlcp/gear-keeper-scuba-consol...ip-locking-retractor
Subscribed
badintexas - 11/15/2013 10:32 AM
I was going to try to be funny and go with duct tape or a good ol zip tie from the store. I see that others have added more serious, probably better looking ideas! Good luck and congrats on the new computer! How fun!
Subscribed
lerpy - 11/15/2013 1:31 PM
I personally put my computer into a wrist mount cup, the type that uses bungees to keep it on your wrist. http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml if you go to this site and scroll down you will see one for this particular model of Hollis computer, but you can get them for most models that are puck style.
Subscribed
djkobra81 - 11/15/2013 2:46 PM
What style BC do you use? I am using a tech so I just have a piece of bungee on a clip to the crotch strap, so it is right in my field of view.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 11/16/2013 12:29 AM
From RockRat2008: Something like this from LeisurePro works well. I had one and when I upgraded my BC I was able to integrate most of mine into my BC now so I passed it on to my wife.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqurlcp/gear-keeper-scuba-consol...ip-locking-retractor
yep,, its there when u need it and not when u dont need it,,ive got a few of these pretty good to have on your bc!
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/16/2013 4:13 AM
I have one on a consul and one on my wrist. Two issues with wrist mounts, on your left wrist the assent alarm will sound when you raise your arm to dump air. If you are reaching into holes to pull bugs out you don’t want your expensive computer on that wrist!
DiveBuddyChgo - 11/16/2013 7:47 AM
Tuck the H.P. hose under a strap of your BC. That will keep your computer from dragging. You won’t need to buy anything either. Otherwise I would attach the computer with a snap hook attached to the HP hose with a nylon tie. And attache the snap to a D Ring on your left side by your waist. Its mostly your preferrence.
Subscribed
RebekahJP - 11/17/2013 11:21 AM
Thanks!
daz88 - 11/19/2013 5:53 PM
the one on my consul I just put in my BC pocket, don’t like the lanyard hanging, plus it keeps it protected and I know where it is all the time.(tried lanyards with the retractor, but still didn’t like it hanging, that’s what I started with) and one on my wrist. no worries about bugs...just take photos of them...don’t dig them out, and been lucky so far haven’ got it scratched up. I can always hear my alarms, but try not to get those. ;)
Skjamdive - 12/03/2013 7:37 AM
Scuba pro has a double hose retainer clip. It works great, you can get a triple if you need it. You can hook it on your BCD anywhere you want, then the hose clips in easily. No drag, you can put it in the position you like. Some people prefer the retractable. If you have the clip and pull the hose out, then you have to get it back in. It takes a minute, simply because it’s a tight fit. But if you make sure you adjust before hand, you should have your gauge where you can see it. I also use one for my other hoses, they are quick release. I like mine. You can find it on Amazon and EBay also. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Subscribed
Kmart - 2/01/2014 7:30 PM
Look on Amazon for gear keeper, locking scuba console model
Skjamdive - 2/24/2014 11:18 PM
I would use a retractable strap. I’m not currently using one, but after each dive I tell myself it would make things easier. I have to get one.
Subscribed
VicFLA - 7/28/2014 7:14 AM
thru the arm openning of your bc under you armpit. then the console stays in place btwn the bc cumberband and chest strap
Subscribed
pescadore - 10/31/2014 9:26 AM
I just ordered this for my console from Amazon. I purchased my equipment off a classified site and the console had a quick release coiled cord that worked really well however the magnet in it was messing my compass up so I had to take it off. This retainer looks like it ought to do the job for just about any kind of equipment.
amazon.com/gp/product/B001DCWVX8/ref=oh_aui_detai...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Subscribed
Kmart - 10/31/2014 9:45 AM
Look on Amazon for gear keeper, locking scuba console
Subscribed
MDW - 11/12/2014 7:03 PM
Wear it on your wrist. That way it will never drag and you never need to find it, clip it, unclip it, or use your fingers in any way to get a look at it. Just move your arm in view of your face and there it is. Only need to use a hand to work the buttons if needed.