Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Equipment
floridaray33 - 1/04/2014 11:26 AM
Category: General
Replies: 5

Hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade my dive equipment this year. Anything from newer tanks, dive lights, wetsuits(XL), fins, regs... I’m comfortable with my gear now but could use some updates. Thanks in advance and dive on!
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/04/2014 9:35 PM
If your comfortable with your gear then why replace it? service it, maintain it, itll last for many years
Subscribed
floridaray33 - 1/05/2014 8:13 PM
UWnewbee, I want to replace my tanks and wet suit mainly. I have two luxfer 80 aluminums from like ’94 I’m told those aren’t very safe to use. And I’ve outgrown my current wetsuit.
Subscribed
RockRat2008 - 1/08/2014 6:44 AM
As long as your tanks pass their hydro and visual inspections they are fine. I currently have tanks from the 90’s as well and dive on them constantly. If you just want to replace them, depending on wants/needs/budget you can go with aluminum 80’s again, or spend some more money and go to steel tanks and take some weight out of your weight pockets.

With your wetsuit I’d say it depends on budget, the water you’re diving, etc. For colder water, inland quarries type stuff, the Henderson AquaLock 7mm is a nice choice. It seals well and helps keep water out, and helps keep you more comfortable.

If you’re not diving water that cold, then a standard Henderson, NeoSport, and Body Glove are all good choices. I have dove in them all and gotten excellent use from all of them.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/08/2014 9:27 PM
From RockRat2008: As long as your tanks pass their hydro and visual inspections they are fine. I currently have tanks from the 90’s as well and dive on them constantly.

As RockRat said which I agree,, if they still pass theyre fine!