Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Drysuit Advice
lerpy - 4/22/2014 4:39 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

Was out diving in the new dry suit again yesterday, a lot to get used to but making progress. I think however the next seal is too tight, I have a real choking sensation with it on and sometimes feel like it’s restricting the blood flow to the noggin. As I write this I realize, yes this means it’s too tight so maybe need to cut another ring.

My question is, what should it feel like when you have it sized correctly, good seal, but not constricting? Any tips?
Subscribed
hoofpick - 4/22/2014 5:49 AM
before cutting a ring off the neck, try slipping the neck seal over your tank for a couple of days to stretch it out. If that doesn’t help then trim a ring or probably better yet, take your suit to where you purchased it and have the store make the needed change.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 4/22/2014 8:29 AM
Matt id cut 1 ring at a time, if its too tight you can rip the seal an that will end your dive,, like lonnie said if your unsure go to the shop for a proper fit
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 4/22/2014 11:20 AM
Agreed, its a new suit. I think I trimmed my DUI about three times before it finally felt better. It is still snug but much more comfortable. +1 for only one ring at a time.
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 4/23/2014 5:03 PM
The neck seal can be a lot looser then you think to keep out water. It should just lay on top of the skin. Any red marks after the dive is to tight. Neck seals come in different sizes. Its can be an expensive practice to cut neck seals. Proper neck seal size at purchase is recommended.
Subscribed
btw2459 - 4/24/2014 3:30 PM
I know the Pinnacle suit I’ve got came with a neck seal equivalent to the suit size. In my case a XL short suit. The seal was a little tight, but it has become more comfortable with time.
Subscribed
OUBobcat - 4/25/2014 6:47 PM
If you do try to trim it yourself...go to the store and buy yourself a new pair of scissors and keep them just for that. They aren’t hard to trim, fold it in half, paperclip it/make sure sides are even and you can cut off 1 ring at a time fairly easy. I like to fold it that way my cut is consistent around the entire thing.
Subscribed
diverray - 5/10/2014 4:14 PM
I would suggest going to a shop with an experienced dry suit instructor for advice. He/she can help with trimming and also with determining when to stop trimming.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 10/05/2014 9:09 PM
I have a dui cf200. How I’ve been taught and it’s worked for me is when you are wearing the suit on land the neck seal should not feel comfortable. It should be tight. Once you get I to the water you should be fine. Plus take into fact that when the water is cold your neck will shrink some. If rather have a right seal rather then a seal that when I try to fill my suit and look down I have air blowing out from the back of my head and water getting in.