Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Pay Another Dollar In you fool
Scuba-Stu - 4/24/2014 3:10 PM
Category: General
Replies: 12

About a year ago I, foolishly, purchased a replacement card from PADI and thinking that it would be pretty cool to be able to have a C-card on my phone in case I left my hard card at home or what ever. Well I switched from a Blackberry to an Android, as Blackberry is going the way of the Palm, I tried to retrieve the card through the app and no dice. I send an email to customer service surprisingly they call. After about 30 secs of polite customer service the lady tells me that I wasted the money for the ecard as they dont switch operating systems. Now this confuses me as the card data is data stored on either a Windows based or Linux server what could possibly be wrong with the card being a template anyway from being compatible with any device you want to download it to. I for one have decided that I will no longer Pay another dime to PADI and will start my certs with SSI or Naui.
Subscribed
BillParker - 4/24/2014 3:58 PM
Bummer. Ask PADI any question and no matter what it is the answer is to give them more money. I scanned copies of my cards and I keep a copy on my Google Drive. That way if I lost them I can re-print copies myself. Also if I lose/forget them while traveling I can pull them up at a dive shop and from where ever there’s an internet connection.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 4/24/2014 4:29 PM
That’s a great idea. I was about to apply for my DM but now I am going to go with someone else for that
Agojo - 4/25/2014 3:18 AM
Use your smart phone and take of photo of front and back of c-cards. I do this for medical insurance, DAN and all other important cards I carry. Be sure to save and email to your other devices in a higher resolution size picture or it will be hard to read if you need to zoom in for reading details.
Subscribed
uwlover4u - 4/25/2014 4:09 AM
Does anyone remember the card they offered a few years back? It was a bit smaller and incased in waterproof plastic and was meant to be attached to your BC. That way you’d always have it. I have one and considering it came from PADI, it’s kind of neat.
Subscribed
BillParker - 4/25/2014 6:55 AM
That feature sounds like a good idea, Greg.
Eric_R - 4/25/2014 5:36 PM
From Greg: What if I added the ability one of these days to upload pics of your c-cards to the certification section of DiveBuddy? I can keep the pics private so only you can see them. That way the pics of the cards are stored along with the certification information you already enter on DiveBuddy.

This would be a great feature.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 4/25/2014 6:15 PM
Greg that sounds like a great feature
Subscribed
OUBobcat - 4/25/2014 6:43 PM
Greg,

That would be an awesome feature. Maybe on the cert section when you add your cert you have the option to upload the pic right there.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 4/25/2014 10:41 PM
A safe and secure cert locker for images of C-cards is a good workable idea with virtually no liability. Much better that offering a Divebuddy.com Certification which may be susceptible to legal actions.
I’d suggest standardizing the image size and making it accessible from mobile web.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 4/26/2014 5:58 AM
Good idea !!!!