Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

culebras Puerto Rico Sept 6-13
merrelland - 8/14/2014 11:33 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 4

I’ve made arrangements to be there those dates but have not yet made accommodation arrangements. If anyone is interested, I’ve checked into a lot of places.

If you are there or plan to be there, it would be great to hook up.

I have not been there, but understand the visibility is great (because of very little run-off and protection from surf). Also miles and miles of virtually untouched protected reefs and plenty of moderate dive sites like sunken tug boat. Small island also has fantastic snorkeling and great beaches. Special place.

Couple of dive operators but one goes out two tank at 10:30 to about 3 with all equipment and lunch included for decent price. Other is more traditional morning/afternoon dives. Night dives available if have 2 or more.

If you are unfamiliar with the isle, search culebras and look for the islaculebra.com which has lots of information and forum. One way to get there is fly to San Juan International and catch Cape Air from San Juan International to Culebras.

If I go myself, I will stay on the cheap. If someone is interested in sharing, there are quite a few options still on those dates.

I’ll try to check messages here periodically but best way to reach me on short notice is merrelland@aol.com or call/text 402 five80 one723. Cell will be only way to reach me after Aug 25.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 8/14/2014 10:21 PM
We are looking at going there maybe next year. I’m looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing some of your pictures !!!
Hope you have a great trip!!!
Subscribed
ginovega - 8/16/2014 5:23 AM
I have been to Culebra. I was raised in Puerto Rico. If you plan to use the ferry make sure you are there early. Trip on the ferry is only 2.50 each way or so but it fill up quickly. We end up taking a flight out Ceiba airport. (Old Navy Base). I can give lots of tips on how to get there and move around in the island. Culebra is beatiful. Culebra is underdeveloped. I am from the SW of Puerto Rico and diving in that area is better than in Culebra. However most people do not go there because is about 2 hours away from San Juan. If you need any information, tips or assistance let me know. Like I said I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and I go back every year. I was in Culebra two years ago...
Subscribed
IslandScuba - 8/16/2014 11:23 AM
Culebra is very nice place to dive an visit, you can either go by ferry or plain, ferry is less expensive and is two hour boat trip vs 15 minutes by air.
Don’t forget to add in your itinerary a dive trip with Island Scuba.
Island Scuba is located at the south side of the island and you can’t miss diving the Wall. it is very famous on the diving community and the diversity on sea life, like; sharks, rays, morays, groupers, snappers and many other creatures and colorful corals. This area is part of the dry forest natural reserve,super important it keeps the reefs healthy and well conserve.
Forgot to mention, is a short boat trip, most of the is dive sites are from 15-20 distance from the dock.
We have more than 40 dive sites.
Subscribed
ginovega - 8/16/2014 3:27 PM
I have dive w Pedro and Nayda of Island Scuba diving and I recommend them!!! Their store is south to the town where I was raised! !!I was raised in Sabana Grande and their store is in Guanica. They can also help you w accommodations. They dive every day without a minimum diver requirement.