Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

I need your input on a new feature - Forum Location Buddy Wanted
Greg - 8/16/2014 10:09 AM
Category: Web Site Help
Replies: 9

I am thinking of adding a new feature to the forum that adds a location element. When a member needs a dive buddy and they post something in the forum, I’d like to link to a location or dive site(s). That way other members can easily see more info about the area or click directly to the dive site. I can also add more logic to our search ability to find forum topics posted about certain locations.

So my question is, when adding a forum topic in categories that most likely have a location (like Buddy Wanted, Travel, Event) should I add a generic "Add Location" option that accepts something like City, State...then I translate that to coordinates? Or should I just create a Dive Site search field that allows you to select specific dive sites to attribute to the forum topic.

For example: If I need a buddy for Lake Travis in Austin. When I post a forum topic in the Buddy Wanted category, should I be able to select Austin, TX (within 100 miles) OR simply select the Lake Travis dive site I want to visit?

If I add specific dive sites to it, we already have plenty of information about dive sites on DiveBuddy that we can link to in the Forum (ie: location, depth, temp, description of dive site, etc.).

Please help me design this new "location" feature in our Forum. I think it would be really cool to have.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Paddy24 - 8/16/2014 11:31 AM
I would like the location feature as well. Click on the dive site and pull up location of divers in that local because not everybody is on here all the time and when a diver finds a local to that area dive a message can be sent and a reminder email automatically is sent.
RAWalker - 8/16/2014 12:13 PM
It sounds like a great feature. I like the idea of site specific searching but think searching capabilities should have the ability to be progressively specific as a user may want. National, State, County, City, Site and /or distance.
Subscribed
joec1 - 8/16/2014 12:14 PM
The dive site would be nice, can you just add the city, state location to that? "Lake Travis in Austin, TX"?
Subscribed
Greg - 8/16/2014 12:21 PM
When adding a forum topic, I would either add a field to select a general location (using Google’s auto-complete for map locations...like the one on our Scuba Earth page). OR I would add a drop down field or auto-complete field that lists the dive sites on DiveBuddy (users can then select which dive site the topic is associated with).
Winterone - 8/16/2014 2:07 PM
sounds good
gemiller - 8/16/2014 5:55 PM
I would like the dive site selection option to keep it more controlled, and then maybe if you select dive site not on list a text box activates if need be for another location. Great idea for a new feature!
Subscribed
Btrax - 8/17/2014 8:40 AM
I agree with RAWwalker, i think its a great idea. Progressive search i.e.: Country, state, city. Then whoever is asking can add more date i.e.: local specifics , especially with favorite unknown sites.
Subscribed
Scubadad2 - 9/01/2014 2:26 PM
Two points Greg. The less you have to do to pinpoint somebody’s dive site the better. If somebody wants to go to their favorite spot, have them name it or link it to the scuba earth/dive site page.

Second point. Although I suspect overall most divers are of above average intelligence, this is not true in all circumstances. Thus, the simpler it is the better (Somebody will still make a fuss over the simplest instructions.) The dive site page is already in place with a link to that you save yourself much more work. (Unless you are into self immolation then go for it I’ll bring the hot-dogs and marshmallows) ;-) Ok, I am cynical and twisted.