Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Delaware River (PA) Beer Train Wreck 9/5/14
gemiller - 8/25/2014 8:45 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 24

Beer Train Wreck Dive Site

Posting an invite to anyone else that may be interested. A friend and I will be heading out to this site Friday 9/5/14 in the morning to dive 1 tank on the wreck and have a second tank with in case someone else nearby peaks our interest. If you’re interested let me know!

There’s some pics taken a few years ago in October of the site. The low water and lack of rain should make for decent clarity hopefully. Site Pictures
Subscribed
bkahrar - 8/25/2014 10:41 AM
Wish I could! Enjoy!!!!
Subscribed
m_grieco - 8/25/2014 10:43 AM
Any idea of water temperature? I’d like to do the dive as I’m in NJ and am off that whole week, but want to make sure I don’t freeze. I am also an underwater photographer and whole love the opportunity to get my camera in the water. I’m normally a tropical diver, but I have a decent tolerance to the cold...I have a warm 3mm suit (dove the Red Sea in winter @ 70 degrees, and I do have a 5mm hood/vest (so 8mm total on my core) think I’d be warm enough or think the bottom temperature would be below 55/60 degrees?
Subscribed
bkahrar - 8/25/2014 10:54 AM
NJ warm and tropics warm are 2 different things. LOL. I would guess around 70-75 F at the surface. Definitely cooler down below. Plan on a silty dive too but you might luck out. Please update us on your experience. Good luck finding a bottle or 2. lol
Subscribed
bkahrar - 8/25/2014 10:55 AM
Here is some previous pointers from another diver who has been there:

" USNmars - 4 days 4 hours ago. Permalink to Post #37252Like (1)Quote
Best is to go around noon, the mountains do a remarkable job of blocking the light since it is like a canyon there. Also down river near the nj side is a great dive. There is all of the boulders from when they blasted rt 80. In the middle of the river from the wreck it drops off pretty quick to about 80ft. After about 40ft it is lights out so bring a good light. I like to put in at the welcome center on the jersey side and stage a car at the pa side. Put in in nj and do a drift dive to the wreck, and get out in pa."
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/25/2014 11:49 AM
I’ll be wearing a 5/4 wetsuit with 5mm hood and gloves, 7mm boots.
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/25/2014 12:42 PM
That’d be great if you could do that, but there’s not many places I can detour to in that same "close" distance, so we’ll probably head out regardless of vis. I mean, if I can see my hand in front of me with a light that’s better than some of the stuff we’ve done ;)

You know of any other places to check out? I’ve done tons of the little creeks and holes around me, just looking for new and "exciting" things.
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/25/2014 2:45 PM
I’m game for whatever mostly, and my dive buddy is also game for that friday in general. We dove a pond on the top of 183 that was a french/indian war fort site but didn’t find anything of interest ;)
Subscribed
Malmust - 8/25/2014 4:08 PM
I am in for Friday morning. Where and what time do you want to meet. Last time I did the dive we started on the Jersey side and crossed to Portland and then down to the wreck. I will dive 7mm wet and use one of my aluminum 80’s. Thanks for the invite.

Mal
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/26/2014 4:41 AM
From bkahrar: Good luck finding a bottle or 2

Keep in mind this is a state park and removing said empty bottles could cost you more than a case of filled ones and the judge probably wouldn’t let you keep the empties either :(
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/26/2014 5:48 AM
Well, it’s actually a National Park, but correct, technically there is no "relic" hunting permitted.
Subscribed
John_giu - 8/26/2014 6:11 AM
So, is there anything about this dive worth making the drive from Philly?
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/26/2014 6:18 AM
I suppose it depends what justifies a dive to you? If you’re expecting Caribbean or ocean wreck type experiences stay home, lol. But if you like an enjoyable river dive and are comfortable in river clarity and environment it’s a decent location compared to a lot of other river sites.
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/26/2014 9:41 AM
From John_giu: So, is there anything about this dive worth making the drive from Philly?

Unlike an ocean dive you won’t need to wash the salt out :) If you are into some lite hiking there is the trail along the falls up to Sunfish pond on the Jersey side.
Subscribed
Curt - 8/27/2014 11:31 AM
Is this site near Stroudsburg? I live in Bethlehem. Been Diving since 09 with 2 years off due to health probs. Just got cleared to start diving again. Did my Adv. open water this past weekend. diving at dutch this weekend if I can find a buddy. This dive looks interesting and it appears I’m local. I have 32 dives. 7 mm suit.
let me know if I can join you. I can get there whenever you want to start.
Thanks,
Curt
Subscribed
gemiller - 8/27/2014 5:06 PM
Yes, the site is near Stroudsburg so it’s right in your backyard!
Subscribed
Curt - 8/28/2014 8:50 AM
Well count me in. I have a cube truck we can use for a ride back to entry point if its needed.
Subscribed
Malmust - 9/04/2014 7:23 AM
Anyone still planning to dive the beer train on 9/5??
Subscribed
gemiller - 9/04/2014 6:33 PM
See you tomorrow morning Malmust per the messages. Curt, I sent you a follow up confirming time. If you end up having off we’ll be there at that time.
Subscribed
bkahrar - 9/06/2014 12:07 PM
Update please! How was it?
Subscribed
Malmust - 9/07/2014 4:47 PM
Vis were 3-5ft. The killer is the hike up and down from the road with your equipment.