diving as a seasonal activity
Gaucho223 - 9/02/2014 4:46 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 13

Is diving considered a seasonal activity? I’ve never considered a dive opportunity to be seasonal but I guess it depends on if your prepared, equipment, etc. But in general do you approach diving as a seasonal activity?
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/02/2014 6:35 AM
That would depend on where you live and if you are a traveling diver as well. I dive local during the summer and into the fall, I did an ice dive once and once was cold enough!

Most of my diving is on travel and most people don’t go the Caribbean during the summer (hurricane season) except for special stuff like the whalesharks off Holbox, Mx. or Goliaths off WPB

Fall thru spring I want to get away from the cold here and travel to the Caribbean or Pacific so yes most of my diving is seasonal.

Subscribed
Gaucho223 - 9/02/2014 7:05 AM
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the approach you’ve taken with diving. You’ve figure how to incorporate it into your life-style and is a real plus!

Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a Goliath up close and personal. Maybe that’s an encounter for another day and time....maybe less so on the face to face, up close and personal part of the encounter.

Thanks again.
Eric_R - 9/02/2014 9:27 AM
My diving is seasonal because I have kids in school and because I also enjoy other sports as well. Hunting becomes my primary focus in the fall. Winter gives me a chance to ice fish and snowmobile. I also use the winter to brew some beers and make jerky, salami and other tasty venison based treats. My local dive shop has seminars during the winter to keep divers coming together and to further their knowledge.
Subscribed
Gaucho223 - 9/02/2014 11:09 AM
I like where this thread is going. My sense is that divers who continue and explore new aspects of diving have found system to make it part of their life style and/or attach to local efforts during times when other activities take precedence. Also I see how balancing diving with other efforts keeps the enjoyment going during say the winter time. I will incorporate your guidance into my instructor regime.
Subscribed
HillCountryDiver - 9/23/2014 12:41 PM
Diving is a year round activity for me. All that changes is the thickness of the wetsuit and the type of backplate I’m using. I particularly like diving during the winter because the boats and jet skiers are are much more scarce. I
Subscribed
HillCountryDiver - 9/23/2014 12:43 PM
Diving is a year round activity for me. All that changes is the thickness of the wetsuit and the type of backplate I’m using. I particularly like diving during the winter because the boats and jet skiers are are much more scarce.
Subscribed
MDW - 11/12/2014 6:51 PM
Yes, it is a seasonal activity. Here in PA, that season goes from April to February in the quarry and about April to December in the ocean. Then ther’s the travel dive season that covers the other couple months.
Subscribed
Mako13 - 12/29/2014 12:26 PM
It’s year round here in the Pacific northwest, vis is defiantly better in the winter months. but my buddies and I dive whenever we can
Subscribed
MDW - 1/24/2015 8:44 PM
Yes, it is seasonal. There’s Summer dive season that goes from April to November, and Winter dive season that goes from December through March. Sometimes the Winter dive season runsl long, causing the Summer dive season to start late.
Subscribed
Juslokkinrnd - 5/08/2015 6:27 PM
I’m fairly new to the sport, but have found diving the springs can be enjoyable. So when the gulf gets to cold
I will be adding a layer and headed to Gennie Springs.