Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NY Dive Options
haroon777 - 9/09/2014 3:30 AM
Category: General
Replies: 7

Hi, I am an airline pilot and therefore a frequent visitor to NY. Just need some help regarding good dive options here around NY. The web is full of information but I never succeed to get my plan executed due to my tight schedule (with mostly weekdays as my free days).

This month I plan to arrive Manhattan on 23rd Sept in the evening and my departure is on the 27th. That leaves me with 3 days, with 25th Sept as the most preferable option.

I’ll be grateful if some can suggest some nice dive sites (good visibility and not in lakes) and how to go about it.

Regards
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/09/2014 5:07 AM
"(good visibility and not in lakes)" Well there are no lakes near NYC and good viz is rare in the northeast :(

Are you flying into NY or EWR? There are dive shops in the city and in Jersey who can book you on a diveboat. If your just looking for a taste there is a beach dive in the city divebuddy.com/divesite/2344/beach-8th-street-far-rockaway-queens-ny/ that this time of year you could do in a 3 mil. You’ll see the locals plus some tropicals swept up here by the Gulf Stream.

If you’re in the city the end of March you should come over to Beneath the Sea in NJ for the largest consumer dive travel/equipment show in the US. You can get there by cab or bus and LP even runs a shuttle on Sunday from their dive shop.
Subscribed
haroon777 - 9/10/2014 8:20 PM
Thanks Lattitude, sorry for the late reply (was waiting for my account approval by admin so couldn’t post)

I fly to JFK. Can you suggest a dive shop that carries out diving on weekdays also?

I dont mind travelling for 4-5 hours by road to reach a good diving spot.

Regarding the 8th street beach dive, how does one go about it. Is there a dive shop that arranges or I have to get my own buddy/equipment?

Regards
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/11/2014 8:14 AM
8th street would require a stop at a dive shop and transportation to the site, I’m not sure a cab would pick up a wet diver :)

I’ve never used a diveboat out of Long Island and all of my dives there were with my car and equipment.

There is a good dive club called Ocean Blue that meets in NYC once a month and they are tied to a dive shop in Conn. oceanbluedivers.com/ They do local diving and maybe could arrange to have the rental gear meet you at the boat, Maybe even ride sharing, you’ll have to ask Michael Feld (owner) about that and you can tell him I gave you his name. I’ve been a member and we talk at BTS

Another option is LIDA lidaonline.com/ there you will find list of shops and boats for the area.
Subscribed
haroon777 - 9/14/2014 12:35 AM
Thanks and sorry for coming in late again (was out on a flight).

Will contact ocean blue divers and see what options they have. Equipment is not an issue as I have all of it.

Regards
Subscribed
haroon777 - 9/17/2014 12:33 AM
hi again
i sent a message to over 25 dive shops listed on lidaonline.com. Few who responded did not have any local diving arrangements on 25th or 26th Sept. Anyway thanks for the help.

I think the title for my next post should be

"Win a Free Dinner in Manhattan - Take me for a Dive!"

lol
omisson - 12/20/2014 9:42 PM
when in NYC on the weekends- boats to hit are the Garloo (Captain Hank) Aqua Explorer (Captain Dan) or Tempest (Captin Tom) out of Freeport - there are also beach dives at Beach 8th Rockaways, Oak Beach, and Ponoquogue Bridge.... only at slack tide.

There are lots of great dive shops and buddies - look at anyone of the dive groups[- Sea Gypsies, Broadway Divers, Long Island Network Divers.... LIDA
Subscribed
haroon777 - 12/21/2014 1:11 PM
thanks,

at one time everything was set for Ponoquogue Bridge, but I was advised that unless I have my own car it was not possible to reach by public transport within the required time frame, so the plan again went flop!

anyway its ski time now, lets wait for summers

cheers