Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Need recommendation for Philippines diving tour/package Dec 2014
tongben - 9/16/2014 10:11 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 16

I will be in the South East Asia area the month of Dec 2014 and I am thinking about taking 4-7 days diving in Philippines. I am open about locations but I prefer less busy area. I have never dove in Philippines so any guidance, tips, links, and diving information would be very much appreciated. I am also open for have dive buddy too if you are also traveling in the region.
Subscribed
Gorabella - 9/16/2014 6:12 PM
Hi tongben, there are several diving spots in the Philippines that are great.

Tubattaha is the prime dive spot, you need to spend for the liveaboard.

You can also go to Malapascua and Panglao.

Apo Reef is also fun but quite rough since you have to camp and there’s no power in the area.

The easiest dive spots from Manila would be Anilao.
Subscribed
Gorabella - 9/16/2014 6:12 PM
I mean the easiest place to go for diving from the Metro would be Anilao. There are several dive sites in Anilao I can’t call ’easy’
Subscribed
daz88 - 9/16/2014 7:17 PM
Hey Ben,
I have a few friends in th philippines that are divers. It just depends on how much traveling you want to do while you are there. Anilao is easy to get to from Manilla with lots of marco shooting in the area.
We will have to try and get our schedules together one of these trips and meet over there for some diving. I’ll be back in Thailand in 3 weeks, and maybe the last 2 weeks in December. But the December trip is not 100% yet. I’ll let you know, maybe we can meet someplace.
Subscribed
SharkBait76 - 9/16/2014 8:20 PM
Where are you flying in from? If you can get a direct flight to Cebu, I suggest you hit the sites there. There are excellent sites around Cebu and within 1-4 hours drive from the city. You can go to Malapascua to see the thresher sharks (about 3-4 hours drive + boat ride to the island) or Moalboal (1-2 hours drive from the city). Have the resorts at either locations to arrange a day trip to Oslob for you and see the whalesharks. From Cebu, you can also take the ferry to either go to Tagbilaran, Bohol (Balicasag Island has the best sites) or go to Dumaguete (try dive sites in Dauin or Apo Island).

If you are arriving in Manila and want the most diving time, try Anilao and Puerto Galera. There’s also Subic but it’s mostly diving wrecks from WWII, not much to see. All are within 3-4 hours driving time from the Manila. Of course, if you don’t mind spending your time sitting at the airport and flying, you can fly to Cebu or Coron, Palawan (excellent wreck diving).
Subscribed
cbartazo - 9/16/2014 9:08 PM
hi tongben,

if your are for wrecks, i would highly recommend coron WWII wreck diving in coron, palawan. and yes, less busy area with friendly locals.
Subscribed
tongben - 9/17/2014 7:54 AM
Daz,

Once your Dec plan is confirmed, let me know. Thanks.

Ben
Subscribed
tongben - 9/17/2014 8:00 AM
Thanks for the very helpful information.
There are so many choices there. Cebu and Bohol probably will be my destination at this moment.
Thanks.
Subscribed
nudibranch18 - 9/17/2014 9:55 AM
Hi Tongben, I recommend you to dive in Puerto Galera and Verde Island it is the “Center of the center of marine bio-diversity. Consider this dive destination and I will refer you to one of the best dive resort in white beach. They offer a dive safari in Puerto Galera-Verde Island-Anilao-Apo Reef using a new spacious and comfortable diving banca.
DiverCarlos - 9/18/2014 8:57 AM
Hi Tongben,
The Philippines offer wonderful diving experiences. Anilao is great for macro photography and there are beautiful reefs out around Sombrero. Dove there many times and plan to return again and again. Crystal Blue is a good place to stay with some good dive guides. Nice thing about Anilao is it is only a 2.5 hour van ride from Manila airport, no ferries or plane needed to get there.

Puerto Galera is just across the Batangas strait from Anilao and also offers some world class diving. Atlantis is a great hotel and dive operation with one of the best restaurants of any dive resort I have ever been to anywhere in the world.

If you have time to fly down to Dumaguete then a trip out to Apo Island is a must. One of the best dive sites in the Philippines and Dumaguete has some good muck diving for critters. Atlantis is again a great place to stay.
Subscribed
Underwaterjohn - 9/18/2014 6:48 PM
If you end up in a Moalboal, Cebu, I’d recommend Magic Island a Dive a Resort. It’s fantastic! There’s an amazing wall dive there at Pescador Island, and also dome great muck diving. Great place, great hosts!
Subscribed
Gorabella - 9/18/2014 11:46 PM
Tubattaha is the best IMO.
Subscribed
tongben - 11/22/2014 8:20 AM
I thank you for all very helpful information. I have booked a week of diving in Anilao this December and I am looking forward seeing the marine lives as in macro sizes.
Thanks again to everyone.
Ben
Subscribed
Gorabella - 11/22/2014 7:58 PM
Where at? We’ll be there rather often on December
Subscribed
tongben - 11/22/2014 11:25 PM
Gorabella,
I am staying at AquaVenture Reef Club Resort, Anilao from Dec 22-28.
I am still debating whether to order the rather high cost transportation from the resort or take the chaotic "chicken buses" public transportation to the resort from the Manila airport. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ben
Subscribed
Gorabella - 11/23/2014 3:17 AM
How much did they quote you on the high cost transportation?

Aquaventure is one of the oldest resorts in Anilao =).
Subscribed
tongben - 11/23/2014 5:10 AM
The quote for round trip transportation from and to the Manila airport is php 8600.00 per van max 6 person/van. I am traveling alone so paying for this whole amount by myself seems high.