Considering Going To Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco For Diving Late November
HolyDiver55 - 10/06/2014 10:54 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Would like to do the Subject from Phoenix in mid to late November over a weekend when I am in town for work. Will be solo and without transportation so am trying to figure out the best/safest way to get there, where to stay, what local dive shoppe to use. Would like to go down on a Saturday, dive that afternoon, stay the night, get up and dive Sunday morning and head back to Phoenix later in the day.

Any ideas, suggestions, cautions are welcome!

Thanks!
Hawkeye54 - 10/14/2014 12:49 PM
I would recommend driving a little further to San Carlos, where the dive sites offer much better diversity - But in November you’ll have cool, green water with 30 feet or less of visibility in either location. If you’re just looking to get wet, go for it but I would recommend contacting the dive centers in Phoenix (I can recommend NoLimit scuba after great interactions with them) to see where the best local diving can be found during your stay. Chances are, it may be in fresh water near Havasu...

If going to San Carlos, it will cost you about $100USD for a boat trip to San Pedro Island - Which I recommend to swim with the sea lions. There is a sea lion colony in Rocky Point as well, but it’s all chance to find a charter to it on any specific day. I can also set you up with a local guy (Tuscon, AZ) who runs weekend trips to San Carlos if that interests you - But I have no idea what his winter schedule is like.

There is very accessible beach diving at both Rocky Point / Puerto Penasco and San Carlos. Tank rentals w/ air run between $10-15/day and $5-$7 refills. Boats can take you to the same sites, plus a few that would be long swims if you need a buddy/group or guide. The sea lions are pretty far out and it takes >1h by boat to reach the island. I hope this helps!
Subscribed
HolyDiver55 - 10/14/2014 1:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. it is appreciated. looks like my trip has been postponed until January. Does that change any of your suggestions?
Hawkeye54 - 10/14/2014 1:19 PM
Not really - The conditions don’t improve again until at least march and from my account the best diving in the northern Sea of Cortez is in the late summer when water temps are in the 80’s.