Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

divemaster
Capnd - 12/17/2014 5:10 PM
Category: General
Replies: 6

hello everyone , my topic is about dive training . I am at rescue diver in my training and completed that last may . I had the intention of proceeding to divemaster and then to instructor . After doing some research and thought I have drifted from trying to proceed to instructor . The problem I am stuck on now is that it does not seem realistic for a person of my age (50) to try doing this and expecting to make any kind of living at it . I love diving and I have no doubt I would love the life of diving and teaching although I do not know what kind of a teacher I would be either . again at 50 I despise the work I do and have been doing for the biggest part of my life . I am sure I am not the only one who has been in this position so I would like some feedback from others . thank you ,capnd
divingbear - 12/17/2014 6:16 PM
My instructor in up state NY (I’m a dive master) just turned 75, he is super active in the industry teaches 6 ow classes a year plus all other courses, teaching nitrox this weekend.
To me you still have 25 plus years to have fun, just do not expect to make much of a living at it!
Eric_R - 12/17/2014 7:02 PM
Being a dive instructor is about desire and passion. Don’t let a society age perceptions hold you back from doing something. That being said all the instructors I know work another job or even two with one being part time at their sponsoring dive shop.
Subscribed
Nitediver - 12/17/2014 7:44 PM
60 when I became a divemaster. Now 63 and starting on instructor. Will I make the money? NO! Will I have fun, pass on my passion for diving, make new friends? Influence people? A BIG YES!!!!! If you do something you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. Can you make a respectable living as a full time instructor at the young age of 50? A lot depend on you. Most instructors I know have a second job. Like Eric said.
Subscribed
dalehall - 12/18/2014 9:28 AM
I just turned 50 in August. I have had my D/M for 1 year as of last week and I am strongly considering entering the Instructor realm. I know I cannot make a living from it (in this area), but I enjoy working with the classes as a DM and love passing along my passion to those that want to learn it. As an Instructor, it will be about the same thing. It’s mostly about passing long my knowledge and bringing up the next generation of divers.
Subscribed
Capnd - 12/20/2014 4:54 PM
thanks all for your input , I was glad to hear what you had to say . As i previously thought its not about the money, the love of diving and the ocean is the lifestyle i want . I will work on the money as i go .
Subscribed
tstormdiver - 12/29/2014 2:24 AM
Tom Mount (Owner & lead instructor for the technical dive training agency IANTD), is well into his 80’s & still teaching cave & rebreather (doesn’t hurt that he is also an active 10th degree Black Belt Master in the martial arts). As long as you are in reasonable good health & physically fit enough to handle cylinders & any emergency conditions that may arise, there is no reason why you should not be able to work as an instructor.