Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

The "Devils Bathtub" Blue Hole of NJ pine Barrens/ Put a TEAM together to DIVE?
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 1:00 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 136

So I was looking at possible dive sites in nj. I came across the blue hole in the pine barrens aka the devils bathtub, home of the jersey devil. The info I got on this hole is weird and maby hard to believe. There are also a lot of myths about it which even if not true make it a very interesting future dive. Here are some things people have claimed throughout the years. The hole is about mile deep off the main road in the pine barrens. Not accessible by car so it’s a real hike. People say this hole is actually bottomless! I think we all know this is not possible. But it sounds cool. Scientist have claimed to drop weight on lines here and the line keeps on feeding. The water is strangely clear with no algae and pretty cold. People say sometimes there are whirl pool like currents in here. People also say the woods around here have packs of wild dogs roaming the area which is pretty freaky. All this info makes me think this is a very Erie but interesting place to plan a dive. I have found no records of anyone diving here to find out what this hole is about.
This all leads me to wanting to plan a dive here. I think it would be a real journey even though it would most likely be a pretty simple dive. It just spikes my imagination and adds to the cool factor. I would like to know of anyone from the area or surrounding areas would like to join me and put a team together to go on this little expedition. Remember this dive is more them a dive. First we would have to find this place on a map. We would then have to park and hike all of our gear into the pine Forrest which is very dense. We would the. Have to find this hole. I was thinking of tying off a long down line to a tree. Running it out to a float and then hanging it straight down with a weight. Pretty much it just sounds very cool and interesting to me and even if this "bottomless hole" with all of it’s myths and legends turns out to be 10’ deep or 1000’ deep I love the idea of exploring it and maybe even documenting a real description of it coming from real divers on a real dive!
Guys let me know if anyone has any interest in this journey and wants to make this a reality. Or let me know if you know more about this hole then me. Let me know if you think it’s worth diving or not. I’m open to everything you guys have on this place.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 1:25 AM
You can also see the see this site on dive buddy’s dive site link. It will say bottom composition- no bottom.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 1:41 AM
This is a link to another story about it.

unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45645
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/18/2014 5:53 AM
I’ve seen lots of stories but no dive reports :( I doubt the bottom less part because south Jersey was a sandbar and you would need rock to make a deep hole but I have been thinking about during the winter when the insect population is down and the ground is hard and not muck hiking in there, cutting a hole in the ice and dropping a lead line or getting a cheap fishfinder I can use on my boat later.

If you do want to mount a dive expedition I have a beach cart set-up to carry my tank and gear although hiking thru the pines in wetsuits would be a sight.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 8:29 AM
Hahahaha this is what I mean. Do I really think this thing is bottomless? No but like you just said there are no dive reports ever. This is what makes a really cool expedition and I am absolutely willing to so it. We could set a date with for example me and you and my other buddy who’s already in to do this. Then between now and then we can see how many people we can get to team up for this. If none then oh well.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/18/2014 8:55 AM
I was just watching a video of a guy from Weird NJ dropping a lead line and the best he came up with was 9’. Lakehurst Lake (Lake Huricon sp?) has springs bubbling up thru the sand which are cold and could explain the currents that have been reported and why it’s clearer than the nearby river.

Diving this thing without silting it up before we are done could be a problem, a tarp in the entry point would help, diving from a platform would be better but getting a boat in there would be a problem. I have a small one but it still weighs 200 pounds empty.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 10:33 AM
Lol wow so sites that I’ve scene deceive this as a bottomless entertainment to some subterranean cave system and your saying a guy dropped a weight in it and found it to be only 9’?!!! I mean I’m still willing to look Into this.
Subscribed
m_grieco - 12/18/2014 6:13 PM
Here you go, not a dive review but gives a good idea of the area. youtube.com/watch?v=7vBj3bkgdtM
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/18/2014 6:15 PM
Thank you. But I looked at this video. So what is it. Deep or not deep? Who really knows. Do you think this dive would be worth it or no. And are you interested?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/19/2014 8:09 AM
I just ordered a handheld sonar from LP that I can also use on my boat so if we get a good freeze we can pour water on the ice and then map the depths right thru the ice :) Of course we still need to get across the river.

If that water is really 50 degrees like it says in the video then this would be a 7 mil dive even in the summer :(

I want to do this if for no other reason than to set the record straight and DB will have the only dive report plus we can even have the DB banner in the pictures :)
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/19/2014 8:53 AM
Now your talking my language. And btw we don’t have to cross the river. We can enter the woods from the east and all we have to do is walk the trail.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/19/2014 8:54 AM
I would be diving this dry.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/19/2014 5:19 PM
From NORTHEAST: And btw we don’t have to cross the river. We can enter the woods from the east and all we have to do is walk the trail.

I knew there had to be a way in but I hadn’t checked the maps yet.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/19/2014 5:25 PM
Yea there is 2 entry points. One from the east and one from the south. You can easily walk in on the trails.
omisson - 12/20/2014 9:38 PM
let me know when you get a depth reading. It is POSSIBLE since the river runs less than 100 yards away that this is a karst breakthrough spring/siphon. In which case it may be feed by the river- would be interested in hearing the details.....
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/20/2014 10:16 PM
We will definitely keep you in the loop. Is this a site you would consider diving?
Subscribed
emvin - 12/22/2014 6:53 AM
Im in if you want to make it happen after the winter.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/29/2014 5:50 AM
From NJ fish and wildlife;
The legendary "blue hole" at Winslow WMA is a circular pool of water about fifteen feet wide. Created by a spring that no longer flows, the water is crystal clear to depths of almost twelve feet. The legend is that the water is ice cold and bottomless, and a home of the Jersey Devil. To reach the blue hole, Turn Left onto the first sand road off of Piney Hollow Road, 0.7 miles from Rt. 322. Continue a short way through the woods to a small parking lot with a "shooting range closed" sign. From here, hike the first trail to the right - you will pass through bogs of blueberry and cranberry and arrive at a clearing with the famed pond. The hike is less than 1 mile total. It is not advised in wet weather as the sandy trail will be mostly underwater.

Weird NJ said 9’, Fish and game says 12’ I guess we still need to map and dive this to set the record straight, any reason for an exploratory dive :)
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/29/2014 6:56 AM
Your damn right. So I’m guessing the spring time?
Subscribed
John_giu - 12/30/2014 7:11 PM
Well Dutch Springs doesn’t seem like such a Dumb idea after all.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/31/2014 3:48 AM
Lol I’m tired if dutch. But anyway what does that mean???
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/31/2014 5:52 AM
From John_giu: Well Dutch Springs doesn’t seem like such a Dumb idea after all.

Well there are a thousand reviews of the diving in Dutch from the helicopter to the scary tree but how many can say they dove the Devils Bathtub :)

Once we get a good freeze I’m going down there with the sonar and shoot it thru the ice to map the bottom so we have a better idea of what we are getting into (pun intended) but it’s going to be a shame to kill a good myth.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/31/2014 7:51 AM
Someone has to kill or confirm it. But hey don’t leave me out. Give me a weeks notice if when you want to go down there to scan through the ice. I 100 percent want to come with you.
Subscribed
John_giu - 12/31/2014 2:23 PM
From NORTHEAST: Lol I’m tired if dutch. But anyway what does that mean???

Means there is always another stupid thing to try, I’M IN!!! if there is enough water to dive in that is.
Happy New Year!
Subscribed
John_giu - 12/31/2014 2:25 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Well there are a thousand reviews of the diving in Dutch from the helicopter to the scary tree but how many can say they dove the Devils Bathtub :)

Once we get a good freeze I’m going down there with the sonar and shoot it thru the ice to map the bottom so we have a better idea of what we are getting into (pun intended) but it’s going to be a shame to kill a good myth.

I’m in!
Can’t be much worse then dragging a dead deer through the woods.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/31/2014 5:08 PM
Hahahah good to hear. It’s more of the myth then anything.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 1/17/2015 5:28 PM
I am very interested in going on any thing out of the normal.
I am from California, have been to many places all over NJ.
Most of which I find to be a HOLE!!!!!. BUT I like dangerous.

Michael. San Francisco Bay.
415-846-2450
I dive and drive truck.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 1/17/2015 6:11 PM
Awsome. I will be I touch.
Subscribed
MDW - 1/24/2015 11:40 AM
It would be especially cool if there really were a sink there that we could really get down into.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 1/24/2015 2:21 PM
All things to consider
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 1/30/2015 10:33 PM
Ok? So if it is a dive in the winter time that is better.
It would be cool to be first to dive there and document
the dive? But I find it hard to believe that this
hole has not had a lot of exploring, divers there
before? Maybe they just have not documented
the dives before¿
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/09/2015 2:17 PM
Ok. I WILL GO BUT I WILL NEED A CADDIE. I
want to have some ènergy when I go into the
water . I need 35 days notice I live far.
Will my wet suit be good ? I don’t have a dry
suit ? The winter is better for me.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/09/2015 2:19 PM
Also it should be a camping trip as well as dive
trip??
Michael
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/09/2015 4:27 PM
We really need to find out who is going and when we are goin and how we can all get I touch. I think this is the first thing. Any ideas???
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/09/2015 4:27 PM
7mm wet should be ok..
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/11/2015 9:47 AM
As long as The weather is cold. I’m ok.
But I will not subject myself to Mosquitos!
0r large flying Cockrochs from New Jersey?
I have been There many times before and
We don’t have any bugs as large as that
in California.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/11/2015 9:50 AM
I’m going but wanted to make sure it is more
than 10 feet deep ?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/11/2015 10:20 AM
Hahahahah I didn’t even know about that. And we need to check via sonar I’m guessing.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/17/2015 7:04 AM
All I care about is how deep, and not getting bit by
the moscetos. Winter please . ..... We can use
A TV ’ to pack in the gear. A lot more fun. :)
Subscribed
John_giu - 2/22/2015 10:08 AM
If you have a sled and a few ice picks we could go today.
I don’t think the gnats will be a problem.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 10:16 AM
I carry A jack hammer with all my scuba
gear just in case for special occasions like this.
So are you telling me that this hole is
frozen over NOW???
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 10:17 AM
Seriously I have never seen anything of water frozen
in New Jersey. ?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 10:20 AM
I just went to Lake Tahoe 4 days ago 43° cold
but very nice and clear. 80 to 160 visibility.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/22/2015 10:39 AM
I’m pretty sure latitude adjustment went yesterday to get a sonar on the ice. I didn’t get his message until today. I was working yesterday. Hopefully he can give us some intel. His intel could make or break this possible dive.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 3:50 PM
The weather in Tahoe at 43 ° is great for diving. I am
good to about 90 feet 100 feet high altitude with
A wet suit. The temperature drops at this depth.
Do you have any idea what the temperature is
at least a good guess for this hole.? ? . .
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 3:58 PM
To let you know the Blue Hole in Egypt
is supposed to be the most beautiful place in
the world to dive in by the red Sea. But has one of
the higher rates of death among divers because
they have said that the beauty mezmorizes divers.
They forget where tthey are and what they are doing.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/22/2015 4:40 PM
Blue hole Wendover Nevada 72°.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/22/2015 6:07 PM
Blue hole in nj in the peak of summer is said to be in the mid 40,s. But then again who knows.
Subscribed
John_giu - 2/23/2015 7:25 AM
Nothing in New Jersey will ever freeze due to the high levels of petro-chemical byproducts in the ground water.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/23/2015 7:32 AM
Ok . I knew that the water was different but
didn’t know why exactly.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/23/2015 7:33 AM
U say it might be 40°..¿¿ Yes she be cold.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/23/2015 12:23 PM
From NORTHEAST: I’m pretty sure latitude adjustment went yesterday to get a sonar on the ice.

Well the weather forecast was for the 30’s but it turns out the morning was -2f and even when I lived in the artic I wouldn’t go out in that. The day got up to the 30’s when the rain came, we had gotten 6" of snow the day before so I decided against a sloppy hike into the woods.

The rain did wash the snow off the lake next to me so hopefully the blue hole is snow free too.

This weekend the forecast is for 30’s again so I hope to see the Blue Hole Friday or Saturday.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/23/2015 12:39 PM
From WaterBoy700: Ok. I WILL GO BUT I WILL NEED A CADDIE. I want to have some ènergy when I go into the water . I need 35 days notice I live far. Will my wet suit be good ? I don’t have a dry suit ? The winter is better for me.

I have a dock cart that I use for beach dives but it’s only big enough for my gear :)

I hope a 7 mil will be enough because I don’t have a drysuite either.

Camping is a possibility but in the spring that area is sloppy and buggy :(

Waterboy, If you are flying in I live 1hr from EWR, PHL or ACY. I think the only airline servicing ACY is Spirit.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/23/2015 1:00 PM
I will not be flying . Car.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/23/2015 5:59 PM
Wow man you are seriouse! Your from ca and your driving for this hole!!!!! I’m pist I have to work the next two weekends. I want to go with ray to get the data. But I’m totally in for the dive deep or not
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/23/2015 10:35 PM
I have a Girl friend in MD. I Think? LoL . .
I will be famous after the dive right? LoL...
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/24/2015 5:32 AM
From WaterBoy700: I will be famous after the dive right?

Only among a special group of people :)

If you are going to Maryland maybe we should do a group dive on the Black Panther while you’re here :)
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/24/2015 6:00 AM
I have never heard of it before ?
She is close to Ocean City .
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/24/2015 6:08 AM
A 10 foot depth obviously will not
be worth it for me, I hope there’s
some water in this hole?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/28/2015 9:44 AM
From John_giu: If you have a sled and a few ice picks we could go today. I don’t think the gnats will be a problem.

Actually a sled would have worked yesterday, it’s an easy walk in even with a few inches of fresh snow on top of the ice. There is a Jeep trail in but this being a park would probably come with a fine. No gnats, just bunny prints.

I was hoping for ice so I could use the sonar to map the bottom thru the ice but the legend is true, it never freezes and remains a constant temp. I dipped the sonar and got 47.5f, no I hadn’t kept the sonar in a pocket and the air was 32f so I think the reading is correct. I’m definetly going to need the 7 mil for this or pick up a drysuite!

If you look close at the photo you can see the sudden drop off about 10’ from shore, how far it drops we need to find out :)

There are more photos and comments on the dive site
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/28/2015 11:03 AM
Awsome ray so I’m guessing we have to dive it to really find out?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/28/2015 11:07 AM
The drop off is black!!!!! Maby bottom composition. Many a shadow? Hopefully not but now the question again is how do we get out to the drop off without silting everything up????
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/28/2015 12:17 PM
From NORTHEAST: The drop off is black!!!!! Maybe a shadow? Hopefully not but now the question again is how do we get out to the drop off without silting everything up????

Not a shadow because I walked all sides of the pond but it’s closest to shore near the blue trail and there is even a culvert there to sit on, I have a blue tarp we could walk out on and step off the slope and hopefully not silt up the place to bad. That area between shore and the drop off is all old leaves and muck :(

Anyone got a queen size blow up mattress that we could float out on?

An other option would be to enter in the out flow but it didn’t look deep enough to swim and hope the current would take the silt out behind us. Maybe on a warmer day I’ll try wading in but with 50 degree water that’s going to be a short swim.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/28/2015 5:49 PM
Ok Gentleman.... Remember I m not a hero, :)
But I was in Lake Tahoe about A week ago It was 43° in the water ¿ I was in for about 1 hour, 45 to 50 feet and the only reason I came up was because my booties are not keeping my feet
warm.. They are 20 years old, and yes they are
cracked. (Will be fixing sooner than later.) So if I can do it in A 7 ML suit I know you guys
CAN!!!! LOL . . . Dry suit not needed!
I went to Monterey break Water 5 days after that and the water was about 54°. This seems
warm to me ¿¡ ¿¡¿ I just want to know if this Hole
will have a lot of Chemicals in it so as to melt the Wet suit?? The bugs can be eliminated by going
Winter!!! What you say about A ticket !!!! ?????? Ticket for What ? ?
How can they even think about A ticket for scuba diving? We are not going to land by helicopter!?
I know that for sure. .. They should thank us for making there
hole famous!!! Haha ! ! Technical questions! ? Why can’t we use an ATV TO BRING IN THE GEAR?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/28/2015 6:00 PM
And is the pH of the water right forworse materials
in A wetsuit, with out doing damage? Is the water
freshwater? We should have A rope if in fact the
hole is deep? I know New Jersey is A pit for Chemicals.
Was this A old Volcano at one time in the holes
life? I have been in one before in central America
and will never go into one again in this life or the
next ! ! Is the water clear and clean enough to drink?
Tahoe you can drink the water. . or whatever caused
the hole to appear in the first place. ?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/28/2015 6:12 PM
Please can you TELL me if this is below Sea level
or what is the altitude ? For deco dive if that is
needed??
Michael 415-846-2450
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 2/28/2015 6:16 PM
No one has said anything about spear Fishing
is it legal?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/28/2015 6:52 PM
From WaterBoy700: Please can you TELL me if this is below Sea level or what is the altitude ? For deco dive if that is needed?? Michael 415-846-2450

Michael, First off 99% of those chemicals are in North Jersey, we have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa in the Pinelands.

If it is truely bottomless then yes we will be below sea level. the surface is 80’ above sea level. South Jersey was a sand bar, the glaciers never came past Long Island NY so no rock caves or tunnels, just a sink hole or maybe a 100-200 year old well. There are a lot of them where the homestead is rotted away but the well remained. I had one on my old farm that was 25’ deep. This is too far inland to be a pirate treasure hole :(

This being a park we can’t drive to the pond and i’m assuming that means no ATV’s too. The tire tracks I saw in the snow were probably the Rangers

This pond is maybe 150’ in diameter, I sure hope there isn’t something in it big enough to spear! Leave your gun at home.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/28/2015 7:30 PM
The only thing we could spear in this hole is the jersey devil. As legend has it. I do think we should bring rope and chain for a decent and accent line. Tie off to a tree. If you read the myths not only is it bottomless but it is described as pulling swimmers down to it’s depths. If this is true I would translate this as being fed by another passage. If that is the case and if it is deep enough the flow could def drag you down. As for thermal protection. I own a cf200 so I surely will be diving it. If this hole is deep I will be bringing a set of double 108’s and a 100 percent oxygen deco bottle. There has to be a reason nobody has dived this hole before. And if they did why did nobody record it.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 2/28/2015 7:32 PM
And if this hole is 47 at the surface, assuming it has depth to it, could you imagine what it could be let’s say 100 feet down
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/01/2015 8:08 AM
Ok.?? Interesting..... So after we risk our lives in this
place/hole are we going to put our names on A
tombstone 0r in A book someplace ?¿ ¡ LoL....
So seriously with all the gear we are going to bring in
this Place how can they expect us to walk???
And how much is the ticket if we drive? Remember A
Yellow 05 SrT - pick - is with me 0n all my dives. :)
What can they do to me, being from California??
Can you by a permit? We could have someone drop
us off. ? I am good, but I can’t carry a set of doubles 7 miles??
If I bring an extra tank? I would be dead by the time I get there?
Seriously now.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/01/2015 8:12 AM
All my gear with no extra tank is about 200 lbs
with bags and everything I m guessing ? ?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/01/2015 9:00 AM
You are absolutely right. We have to find a way to get I touch with the appropriate people. Hopefully they will work with us and support our little expedition.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/01/2015 9:04 AM
I bet you we could get this on a local new station. Maby if we do that the authorities will cooperate more bring looked at as science of some sort. The news is always looking for a cool story. And then you could be famouse!!! Lol
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/01/2015 10:42 AM
I was thinking that became you said you saw tire
tracks maybe someone is reading our posts and checking to see
if we have got out there yet?

I have a trip on the books for Maryland and New
Jersey in about 34 days? In Northern NJ. Then
Maryland.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/02/2015 5:12 AM
From WaterBoy700: Remember A Yellow 05 SrT - pick - is with me 0n all my dives. :) ...

There is a Jeep trail that goes right to the blue Hole but the brush on both sides the last 1/4 mile would remove your yellow paint :(

When I drove in Friday there had just been a fresh snow and I was following tracks that were probably the Park Rangers on patrol. There were no tire tracks going into the parking lot and I didn’t see it until the ride out. I probably went where I shouldn’t, I was worried I might slide off the trail into the woods. The road is elevated because this area is a swamp when it’s not frozen. If I slide off there would be no getting it back on the trail! I had to back out to a place where I could park and turn around later. On the walk in the trail got narrower, it’s old Jeep size, not Ram size and there is no place near the Blue Hole to turn around. I wish I had taken some photos of the trail. Even the road is one lane and as I went around corners hoped there was no one coming the other way.

The Blue Hole is only a few minutes from my wife’s best friends home, next time I’ll drop her off and go back to scout it out some more and post photos of the trail.

I’ll email the park from work. a dot mil addy looks more official and ask how far we can drive in. From where I parked we could shuttle the gear in with my dock kart. Another option would be to float the gear in my dingy on the river but I haven’t found a suitable access point to launch from yet

Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/02/2015 7:11 AM
Ok ♧ > I understand better now . .
I just can’t understand why the park
would not allow AN ATV ON THIS TRAIL..
I LIKE THE idea of the news media getting
on board because many things can happen
with publicity, it can also turn to night mare
quickly! I wonder if the park people are
watching our posts? Could this be why
you keep seeing tracks? Are they trying to
see if we are checking out the place?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/02/2015 7:14 AM
I really don’t think they care that much but yes. Something like this can turn bad really quick
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/10/2015 8:21 PM
Yes. You are absolutely right about it turning bad real
quick. I am a gambler, but wanted to be safe just
the same if it all matters . :)

Maybe after this I can find A dive partner a little
easier on the coast . LoL . :) No one here wants
to go to cold water. Once I m in I m good to go.

A chain to A tree with A lock on it so no one can undo
the chain whilst we are in the water . A tender on top
for safety is also needed. It might not be necessary but
still not sure about this hole . ?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/10/2015 8:53 PM
I have doubles 144 cubic feet only . 5 tanks total.
2250 low pressure . 72s. 1, 92 cubic ft steel 3000 psi.
1 single 72. And 1 single older 72. For tie off?
1 chain to hang myself, and 1 very long 40 ft
strap. I will bring the chain . I will most likely
be in a big truck so I will bring all of the gear I can . .

7m suit
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/10/2015 8:54 PM
I have doubles 144 cubic feet only . 5 tanks total.
2250 low pressure . 72s. 1, 92 cubic ft steel 3000 psi.
1 single 72. And 1 single older 72. For tie off?
1 chain to hang myself, and 1 very long 40 ft
strap. I will bring the chain . I will most likely
be in a big truck so I will bring all of the gear I can . .

7m suit
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/10/2015 8:57 PM
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT
MORE ON HOW DEEP THE HOLE IS.?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/10/2015 8:58 PM
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT
MORE ON HOW DEEP THE HOLE IS.?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/11/2015 10:11 AM
From NORTHEAST: You are absolutely right. We have to find a way to get I touch with the appropriate people. Hopefully they will work with us and support our little expedition.

I emailed NJ DEP a while back and got a robo answer that someone will be in touch. The info phone number at Winslow WMA seems to be seasonal.

I updated the info on the dive site with the park rules. One fly in the ointment is "no swimming" so one of my questions was do they consider scuba swimming. There are special use permits so we may need to go that route. I also asked how close we can park to the Blue Hole because it’s a shorter portage if we can drive to the circle which the rules also prohibit.

I do have two 63 cu ft steel tanks which should be plenty of air for an exploratory dive. If we need more than we can trek them in during the SI.

As for this being deep I don’t see how, south Jersey is an old sand bar, the glaciers never got this far so there are no rocks to make a cave or karst, and a deep hole in sand would have caved in. Maybe there was an old hand dug well here to get to the spring but the one on my farm was only 25’ because the water table is so high. I don’t think any of us want to dive down a 200 year old well anyhow, the one on my farm was caving in 20 years ago.

I’m more interested on what we may find in the Blue Hole because this area did have moonshinners and pirates 200 years ago!
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/11/2015 10:43 AM
Ok..

I want to g0 to this hole for the adventure
if nothing else. But are you sure you
got a reading of 40 feet?? I say
we do as previously submitted,
! Go to the Media! They can hype
us A story more than any one on
planet earth ¡ ¡ This seems like A real possibility!
! I mean if DUCK Dynasty can get paid for all
Idiot stuff they do then why can’t we?
We can bring just as much adventure
to CBS as they can! I am sure we will get
more viewers too...
What say you . .?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/11/2015 11:17 AM
From WaterBoy700: But are you sure you got a reading of 40 feet?? I saywe do as previously submitted,! Go to the Media! They can hype us A story more than any one onplanet earth ¡ ¡ This seems like A real possibility!! I mean if DUCK Dynasty can get paid for allIdiot stuff they do then why can’t we?We can bring just as much adventure to CBS as they can! I am sure we will get more viewers too... What say you . .?

I wish, no the sonar got 47.5 degrees f not feet :(

6ABC out of Philly would use any footage we sent them but I doubt they would send a crew. Once we get an answer from NJ DEP and set a date we can give them a heads up and if it’s a slow news day they may show up to film the idiots in the Devil’s Bathtub :)

NJ12 says it covers NJ but it’s mostly north Jersey
Subscribed
John_giu - 3/11/2015 5:02 PM
Scuba Diver=idiot
proven formula
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/12/2015 9:23 PM
LOL LOL . ..
NOT TRUE . :)
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/13/2015 5:49 AM
From WaterBoy700: LOL LOL . .. NOT TRUE . :)

Lifeguard yells; SHARK! Swimmers exit the water and divers run in! Even my mother thought I was an idiot for swimming with sharks until she saw the video from the Galapagos where there were hundreds around us and the sharks pretty much ignored us.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/13/2015 10:22 AM
Maybe not idiots but definitely crazy! At least technical diving and virgin dive sites n
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/17/2015 11:33 AM
This isn’t looking good!

"Mr. Clark,
No swimming, and therefore no scuba diving, is allowed in state Wildlife Management Areas. That said, I am cc-ing this to regional superintendent Laurie Pettigrew so she is aware of your interest in the "Blue Hole/Devil’s Bathtub". I do not think a special permit would be issued for your dive, "

Maybe we shouldn’t have asked and any news coverage now would be called evidence
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/17/2015 12:30 PM
Holly shit this sucks!
Subscribed
John_giu - 3/21/2015 7:32 AM
whats that old adage? Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?...........
Like asking your wife if you can hunting, fishing scuba diving or a "gentleman’s club"
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/21/2015 2:38 PM
Very true
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/26/2015 11:53 AM
W0W . ???
0r maybe A very risky night dive ? I hate night diving
but we can think about this ? ??
There has to be a way ? No one can say no all the
time . But I know it’s NJ.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/26/2015 11:54 AM
REALLY I NEVER THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS AN ISSUE ? ?
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/26/2015 11:56 AM
Like I said in the beginning . A CADDIE CAN BE A
GREAT LOOKING OUT AS WELL .
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/26/2015 1:02 PM
Well the park is closed at dusk and those two poles at the entrance looked like a steel cable went between them making the Sherpa factor even longer. Any cars parked on Piney Hallow Rd. with dive flag stickers on them would send up red flags. Our lights would give us away and then there is that "$50 to $1500. fine"! Should I ask them if that’s each :) I’ve paid $50 for one dive before!

Now this being a fish and game park I assume we could launch a kayak or rubber boat legally, the rules do say no outboard motors and take sonar readings or what about one of those fish finders fishermen use that you cast out and it transmits back to a wrist unit.

I still haven’t heard back from regional superintendent Laurie Pettigrew, the state sometimes has people at Beneath the Sea so I’m hoping to grab a sympathetic ear this weekend.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/26/2015 1:59 PM
Let us know what you find out. In the meantime I’ll be diving the u853 off block island in April!:)
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/26/2015 5:30 PM
U-suck, that boat’s been on my wish list for years. I was signed up and the Captain drown, that’s a bad omen :(
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/26/2015 6:57 PM
Wow that is bad!!!
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 3/26/2015 7:00 PM
I was just watching a series of videos on youtube of john chatterman on the u869. Awesome documentary. But at 230’ with the sub caving in and already 3 life’s lost on it. It looks like a real challenge.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 3/26/2015 8:44 PM
Ok ? ????????
Your information gives me more questions 🐴
all the time ? Really I travel all over the US and never
really heard of a place like this that would not let us in
the water if you walk in and are just swimming
and not on private property ?? 😕🐥🐧🐚🌍🌘🌾🍔🐙🐌🐳🐢🐮
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 5/05/2015 10:54 AM
So where does this stand at this point?/

Michael From California
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 5/05/2015 2:31 PM
I have no clue. I’ve been waiting to here from lattitude.
Subscribed
John_giu - 5/13/2015 6:52 AM
its new jersey (new germany) Nazis. to bad the ocean doesn’t just run in land to pennsyvania!
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 5/13/2015 8:11 AM
Ray anything yet?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/13/2015 5:36 PM
Nothing from the state or the NJ State Police dive team either, I misplaced the card from their trainer and have been looking for that.

Also my son-in-law has a drop cam he uses when fishing, I’m thinking of hiking that in there to see the bottom, of course I’ll need to pack the dive gear in case the camera gets hung up and I need to rescue it :)

Right now all of my regs are in for service. My Oceanic Omega’s repair parts have exceded the price of a new one so my wife made that my birthday gift :) That should be in this week :)
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 5/14/2015 2:46 AM
Ok? So does this mean that we get caught we going to jail ?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/14/2015 4:41 AM
From WaterBoy700: Ok? So does this mean that we get caught we going to jail ?

Jail, no, fine probably. I need to scout this more often to see what kind of traffic would be around.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 5/14/2015 7:24 AM
Ok .

I wait to hear from you. And for the moment I will keep diving in Lake Tahoe.
😊very good conditions and cold too..
Subscribed
John_giu - 5/19/2015 7:00 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: ight now all of my regs are in for service. My Oceanic Omega’s repair parts have exceded the price of a new one so my wife made that my birthday gift :) That should be in this week :)

Where did you get that girl; from a good wife catalog?
OleCrab - 5/19/2015 7:38 AM
This place sounds really cool. After some ready, think it may be like Ginney Springs in Florida?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 5/19/2015 2:06 PM
Something tells me we will eventually find out. Even if they have to arrest us in scuba gear
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 6/07/2015 6:51 AM
We will for sure be come famous then.. What’s
the name of the show? TMZ? The stupidest criminals
on the planet.. ?
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 6/07/2015 7:26 AM
Hahahahahahaha!
OleCrab - 6/07/2015 9:00 AM
Maybe get a spot on Good Morning America.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 6/07/2015 3:10 PM
Well the guy who said he was the trainer for the NJ State Police Dive Team is not answering my emails so I think that’s a dead end although I’m sure they would show up if we did a night dive :( The good news they would carry our dive gear out :) I know that from experience BTW, the Greek version of the TSA delivered me and my gear to the ship because I was carrying a dive knife, ships security thought that was funny.

I’m thinking I’ll check out a kayak from Navy MWR, my step son-in-laws drop cam and my sonar and go map the bathtub, there is no law against that :) Then we’ll know what we are getting into or not
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 6/07/2015 3:50 PM
Sounds good to me!
Subscribed
m_grieco - 7/02/2015 6:00 AM
Not sure if this is the same spot...I’m thinking it’s a different spot, you’d know more as this is in your neck of the woods Ray. nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/07/drowni...iamstown_quarry.html
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/03/2015 5:49 AM
I was looking at that quarry on Google Earth when I was trying to find a boat ramp near the Devil’s Bathtub to give us access from the river.
There are a lot of old sand quarries in that area, I looked at a couple of them but most are on private property, the one near Lakehurst is 40’ so they can be deep.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 7/03/2015 3:25 PM
Damn ray I really want to get out there this summer.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/17/2015 11:44 AM
Good news-bad news, It’s a good thing we didn’t carry in a ton of gear and I took out some litter.

The bad news, I’d read that it got soupy in there during the summer. Parking lot is a swamp, river is running too fast to paddle upstream, the bugs are out, the swamp and the river overflowed into the blue Hole which is now cedar water. For those of you not from the Pinelands that’s tea water brown, not dirty, just brown.

I used the sonar and the deepest I found was 9.9 feet but most of the deep part is 7 feet with the edges being 3 to 4 feet. Sorry but the myth is wrong, this is no bottomless pit, karst, cave or well :(

I borrowed my step-son-in-laws Fish Eye which is a drop cam on a fishing pole and checked out the bottom, it’s mud, didn’t see any tree limbs or fish which is probably why I didn’t see any fishing line either.

With the swamp water flowing into the Blue Hole I did show a surface temp of 72

Subscribed
John_giu - 7/17/2015 3:23 PM
Have to give it to you Ray.
You’re as crazy as I am stupid.
Nice work!
Now how about that Jersey Devil?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/17/2015 5:54 PM
From John_giu: Now how about that Jersey Devil?

Well there was this chipmunk stalking me. Probably wondering who this fool was dragging a kayak into his pond!

You know that pond looked a lot smaller with leaves on the trees that it did with snow on the ground :( That center deep section is maybe only 40’ across, we could have done it with a pony bottle :)
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 7/18/2015 1:08 AM
Well Ray this sucks but hey look you busted the myth now you can message Greg and tell him to set this stright.
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 10/23/2015 3:58 AM
I LIVE AND LOVE ADVENTURE. 😊
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 10/23/2015 4:59 AM
Yea to bad there is nothing to explore!
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 12/06/2015 10:46 AM
Ok. So I could not wait anymore to get to A
Blue Hole. So I went to the Blue Hole in Santa
Rosa New Mexico. 61 degrees 80 percent of the
time during the year. I’m looking forward to going
back there soon as possible, had lots of fun.

Michael
also have been going to the Crater in Utah alot.
95 degrees all year ..
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/06/2015 6:10 PM
The one in NM looks interesting. There is another spot closer to home I keep looking at while walking the dog. It’s a spot a lot of kayaks pull into and I’m guessing a few have dumped gear overboard. It would be a mile walk or just float down the river with my dingy loaded with gear, dive and then float to the next entry point and have the wife pick me up. That would be in the spring when the air has warmed up!
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/06/2015 10:29 PM
How deep is that hole?
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/07/2015 7:46 AM
From NORTHEAST: How deep is that hole?

Don’t know but I’m guessing 10’ and not very big either, it’s going to be a short dive.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 12/07/2015 8:11 AM
Well now I’ll be back at the hole of a quarry for a while. I just bought a Meg ccr! What am I getting myself into????
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 12/07/2015 9:29 AM
The hole in new Mexico is fresh water just to let you know .

Michael
. you have to pay 8 bucks to dive there all
day long .
Subscribed
WaterBoy700 - 12/07/2015 3:08 PM
The hole is not to deep? 5,000 ft high altitude
diving is what needs to be calculated. 80 ft
dive is about right for Santa Rosa New Mexico.
it’s an easy diving for old people lol. ! All you have to do is
hold on to the rails and walk down the steps.!
I mean what else do you want. 😆 No sharks,
Fresh water, showers that you can get dripping
water from . ... It is A great place. I m just being sarcastic.
I will go there again soon.

Michael
Subscribed
John_giu - 12/07/2015 4:12 PM
Ray,
if you’re not careful people around here are going to start calling you "crazy ol’ Ray"
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/07/2015 4:25 PM
From John_giu: Ray, if you’re not careful people around here are going to start calling you "crazy ol’ Ray"

Oh that ship has already sailed