Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Virgin Islands or Hawai’i?
AmyW - 1/01/2015 2:07 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

We are going to be taking a trip in March and are debating on going to Hawai’i or the Virgin Islands. We have read great things about both places, but would love some feedback from fellow divers. If you had to choose, where would you go USVI or Hawai’i?
Subscribed
hoofpick - 1/01/2015 3:24 PM
I have not been to the Virgin Islands. However I have been to the Bahama’s and did some diving there. I have been to Hawaii several times, Maui to be specific. The diving there has been excellant and the time of year you are going I can tell you that the Humpback whales are in full population in the Hawaiian waters. If you have never heard whales sing underwater I highly reccomend going there as well as seeing Giant Mantas. Hope this helps.
Subscribed
Dutch - 1/02/2015 6:43 AM
If the choice is Hawaii or USVI, then it would be a toss up for me. If you add BVI to the equation, then hands down, BVI
Subscribed
AmyW - 1/04/2015 9:21 AM
Thanks Tom for your insight. We made two trips to Florida this year. Once to dive the caverns and rivers in Northern Florida and a second trip to dive wrecks and such in the Keys. It was nice time. Going form MN it is almost the exact same price to go to the USVI or to Hawai’i, so we are having a hard time deciding. I appreciate your insight. It is always good to get feedback from those that have actually dove the areas we are looking at. As far as Cuba goes, that would be a great trip. Our local dive store did an ’environmental’ dive there last year that allowed people to travel legally and I heard it was an amazing trip.
Subscribed
LB1335 - 1/06/2015 7:52 PM
Hawaii. Island hop and take in a lot more culture, and countless dive sites. Visit but don’t stay on Oahu.