Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Measure of currents
elliselectric - 1/07/2015 5:25 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 7

Diving in North Carolina sometimes there are strong currents. First when the DM descends to anchor to wreck should they measure the current and direction to relay to divers on the surface before getting wet. Also is there a way to obtain current speed? What speeds are considered dangerous, mildly dangerous, ect.?
Eric_R - 1/08/2015 9:25 AM
If your diving with a DM he should be familiar with the dive and be able to instruct you with the needed information to have a successful dive. I agree with latitudeAdjustment with the ripples coming from the ladder but currents can be different at the bottom then they are near the surface.
Subscribed
elliselectric - 1/13/2015 7:59 AM
DM sometimes has two-way communications with crew or surfaces with info before dives get wet
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/13/2015 11:59 AM
From EskimoBluDay: Also, how is the DM supposed to relay the information from depth to the surface?

Well we did have a DM on a California Channel Islands trip shoot condoms to the surface. If it popped up a long way from the down line you might want to rethink your dive plan. There was one high current dive on apply named Heart Attack Ridge where the condom probably got lost in the kelp :(
Subscribed
ScubaGrunt - 1/19/2015 6:46 AM
As a DM operating here in NC I can tell you how it’s typically done on our boats. The 1st mate will follow the anchor down and tie in while the 2nd mate ties off topside and sets the hang line, tag line, safety reg, and ladders. Upon surfacing, the 1st mate will report to the Captain the current (at all points in the water column), visibility, temp, and where he tied in on the wreck as it’s mostly wreck charters here. The Captain will then give the final brief to the divers, and the DM’s will take it from there with whatever refinements tailored to the skill level of whoever we are guiding that day. With a good crew this entire process from the drop of the anchor until divers are in the water typically takes 5-7 minutes. I hope that offers some granularity on the procedure. Safe diving!

Danny