Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Question on High Pressure Scuba Hoses - Recommend Best Hose
Greg - 1/31/2015 3:19 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 11

I have had several "high pressure" hoses that start leaking. Many are only two or three years old, and have not been used very much. Most high pressure hoses are rated for around 5000 psi right? So shouldn’t they be able to easily handle a 3000 psi scuba tank? And does the high pressure port on a first stage regulator deliver the same air pressure that is in the tank or does it reduce it some?

In your opinion, what are the best scuba hoses available today? Can you get a good quality scuba hose that is flexible and durable?
Agojo - 1/31/2015 3:50 PM
The hose delivers same air pressure as in the tank but not at the same volume (if the hose is cut completely) as the tank valve. In almost 12 years I’ve only replaced my Oceanic QD HP hose 1 time due to leaking of the QD. I added a backup analog gauge to my rig 2 years ago with a Miflex hose and so far no problems with it. Over 500 dives in the 12 years with same regs/computer hose. I rinse/dry then store all equipment in the hose. Heat and UV rays will deteriorate rubber. I normally leave my computer on the hose due to previous problem with the QD leak. Only take it off for airline travel to carry on computer.
Eric_R - 1/31/2015 7:07 PM
I just replace the original HP hose on my Suunto setup. 26 years is pretty good. I don’t know what brand the hose was but I sure hope the new last that long.
Subscribed
tstormdiver - 1/31/2015 8:24 PM
I’ve had a love/ hate relationship with ScubaPro hoses. My first one ruptured suddenly, right behind my head when I was prepping for a cave dive. I have another right now. I prefer the ScubaPro hoses, as they are smaller, more streamlined & they seem to have corrected the issue with them rupturing (Happened to bot myself & my tech instructor). I’ve used other bigger ones, but like the streamlining of teh Sp. I don’t trust the Miflex hoses,... waaaay too many ruptures early on.
Subscribed
John_giu - 2/01/2015 9:30 PM
go here northeastscubasupply.com/high-pressure-hose/

high quality generic hoses at $ below "name brand"
Call and ask John or one of the guys in the shop.

a quality hose by any other name still works as well.
Subscribed
Greg - 2/02/2015 4:17 PM
John_giu, what makes these hoses different? Are they custom made by the shop? What is the working PSI of the hose?
Subscribed
John_giu - 2/02/2015 5:31 PM
nothing special. just good quality generics. Why pay more?
Back in Old School days, if you needed a brake drum for a Cadillac you
bought one for a full size Pontiac, same drum lower price.
If you get my Drift (dive).
Subscribed
hcdiveteambrian - 2/02/2015 10:04 PM
old ones. If they’re made at least 10 years ago, and even if they have the 10 yrs on them as constant use, those are the best there seems to be.
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/03/2015 8:06 AM
I’ve been using Miflex hoses for several years now. Much much lighter and much easier to coil up for travel. I like to travel so makers a big difference for me. Never any issues with these hoses. ( both high pressure & low pressure hoses) Had a couple of pinhole leaks in my old rubber hoses (high pressure) over the years, but no major blowouts.
MDW - 2/07/2015 12:32 PM
I think MiFlex (or that other brand that is like it) is the way to go. I am making an educated guess that it’s your Texas heat that’s causing your old rubber hoses to deteriorate faster than some of the rest of us experience in more temperate climates. Also, you may have them in the sun more. Miflex or equivalent should fair better under hot sunny conditions, and have the added advantages of thinness and flexibility described by daz88. I have switched over all my hoses (except the proprietary LP ones to my Jetstreams) to MiFlex over the years, even though the old rubber ones are still going strong (in a drawer).
Subscribed
Greg - 2/11/2015 6:10 AM
I’ve seen "MaxFlex" hoses on some regs also...they seem similar to "MiFlex" hoses. Any difference?
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 2/28/2015 1:52 PM
H.P. hoses always wear out. They are all built the same. I like the flexible hoses for comfort and weight, packing into travel luggage. Turning on your air pressure quickly will shorten the life of your gear. That’s like hitting it with a hammer so to speak. Turn on the air pressure slowly. And still the HP hose will only last so many years. Your L.P. hoses only have to bear avg. 135 psi. Also one of the many reasons that I prefer L.P. 2400 psi. steel tanks.