Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Any one in Kyoto Japan
DakotaSky62 - 2/13/2015 11:02 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

Does anyone know of any dive centers in Kyoto or any of the surrounding areas, I"m looking for dive places here in Southern Japan
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/16/2015 6:46 PM
not to sounds like an ass......but google is your friend. :) Did a google search and it came up with 3 shops in Kyoto. It listed phone numbers but not websites, so maybe small shops. You might want to check in Osaka. A lot bigger and next to the sea.
Subscribed
DakotaSky62 - 2/16/2015 7:33 PM
its all good and I did that, and I am going there, only problem is not all dive shops speak english but thanks for you input
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/16/2015 8:50 PM
I think you have a better shot of finding an english speaking shop in Osaka. If not.....there’s a lot more bars in Osaka. ;) Did a quick search online and found this shop in Osaka. Near Umeda station. It’s a major staion and easy to get to from Kyoto.
mic21.com.e.ae.hp.transer.com/n/shop/detail?10

another one that has a FB page called....Kansai Divers. On this web page has a listing of dive shops in their group that have english speakers. fourthelement.jp/KansaiDiving/

Good luck in your search. I’ve been to Japan a lot, have friends all over there, but still haven’t dove there. Too busy having fun I guess. :)
Subscribed
DakotaSky62 - 2/17/2015 1:32 AM
U rock thanks for all the help and actually I live in Kyotango, and I will be going to Osaka this weekend so I’m gonna scope it out thanks for the 411
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/17/2015 4:02 AM
you might find something in Kobe also. I’m guessing not too many english speakers over there where your at. I haven’t been there yet. I went to Matsue a couple of years ago and was planning to cruise up the coast on that side to Kyotango, but was doing some serious raining! So decided to just save it for another trip. So just headed to Osaka to drink with friends before heading back to Tokyo to drink with freinds. (funny how that happens when I’m there) :)
Subscribed
DakotaSky62 - 2/17/2015 4:09 AM
yea, I can understand that, I’m here for a year due to my job so I’m gonna make the best of it while I’m here, Kobe?? is there good diving there? and yea ur right not a lot of English speaking peeps here :)
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/17/2015 5:24 AM
don’t know about diving there, just figured....big city...so more of a chance for english speaker at dive shop. I’m sure if you can find a shop they can tell you where the good spots to go diving are. I know up north on the other coast there is a lot on diving off the Izu peninsula. Real popular with the Tokyo crowd. I think the Shinkansen stops at Odarawa (about 2 hours from Kyoto), then it’s a short hop to Atami. Which is the place that a lot of dive shops go to.
Subscribed
daz88 - 2/17/2015 5:31 AM
Hey just found this.....big list of dive shops
dogsbreathdivers.com/japan.htm

a shop in the Tokyo area that dives in Atami that is gaijin friendly is Mar scuba
marscuba.com/diving.html
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/18/2015 5:16 AM
From daz88: Did a google search and it came up with 3 shops in Kyoto. It listed phone numbers but not websites, so maybe small shops.

That seems to be a problem in Japan, I was researching dives when it looked like the Navy was sending me there. I got on an email list from Japan Tourism at BTS and it listed dive sites, phone numbers and a lot of dead links. None of the emails so far covered Kyoto or Osaka :( I’ll have to ask them at BTS next month.