Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cruise and Dive Roatan, Belixe, Cozumel
HadtoGo - 8/11/2015 5:56 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 13

Slight change in plans, presently we have decided on a cruise that will stop in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Has anyone done a Cruise / Dive trip. I have found that a number of dive shops cater to cruise lines. Can anyone refer a dive shop in these ports. Keeping in mind that I will have two novice divers w/ me.
Much thanks in advance
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 8/11/2015 5:57 PM
sorry for typo Belize
sandman2053 - 8/11/2015 6:28 PM
I went on Carnival 8 years ago we also stoped in Grand Cayman.
I dove with the excursion from Carnival in Roatan it was Anthony’s key resorts, and Cozumel again we dove a shore excursion. There it was right by the boat.
Agojo - 8/12/2015 4:36 PM
May 2015. Sand Dollar is operator used by Carnival and is right at Carnival pier. After ship was 4 hours late docking due to wind and currents had to cancel my advanced diving and book at shore excursion desk yo be sure of some diving. Still good but not great as previous experience with a private operator. Price is ridiculous fir shore excursion diving in Belize and Roatan. Don’t do the Carnival snorkel in Belize (100 snorkelers in water at one time). Belize snuba with wives was lead by hurry up and get it over guide.
Subscribed
lkjohnson - 8/15/2015 8:16 AM
Tres Pelicanos dive shop is great. It is in COZUMEL
Subscribed
TioJoe - 11/22/2015 9:28 PM
Hi,

Doing the same cruise but departure from Port Canaveral on 23 January 16. How did things work out for you and would you be able to share experiences, positive and negative. Operator recommendations would be fantastic.

Joe
Subscribed
TioJoe - 11/22/2015 9:31 PM
I just posted a reply to a posting by HadtoGo. But did not address it to him as I suppose I should have done.

Sorry. New member confusion.

Joe
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 11/23/2015 10:15 AM
Hey Joe

Roatan: 11/20/15 we dove w West End Divers. About 30 min taxi ride but 15 min boat ride to reefs. Courtney Blankenship was our DM, and she was awesome. If you are into macro photography, she is your DM. 100’+ vis, saw a lot of marine life and cruised w a sea turtle. Spectacular and Great outfit.

Belize: 11/21/15 we dove w Sea Sports, walking distance from tender dock, but about a 30 min boat ride to reef. We were challenged w some choppy water and less then optimum vis due to recent storm, but still a great diving, they provided lunch on a private island owned by one of the DMs family. Sea turtles, lion fish, lobster etc as well as macro marine life. Good outfit.

Cozumel: 11/22/15 we dove w Papa Hogs. Short taxi ride from cruise terminal. Shop owners were kind of Ok, but the DMs and boat crew were great. Boat was kind of small for 5 divers 2 DMs and captain. 100’+ vis, the drift dives were spectacular. A lot of marine life, big grouper, lobster, schools of fish on the reefs.

We had a great time. Hope this helps
Subscribed
TioJoe - 11/23/2015 10:30 AM
Thank you so much. I will contact each of the shops you cited. I’m going to forward your remarks to my dive buddy as she has not yet joined this group

May I ask whether you rented gear or brought your own. We are thinking of bringing own except for tanks and weights for integrated BC, but no idea whether savings will offset the burden of carrying

Will post how it all works out. Really looking forward to this adventure.

Thank you again

Joe
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 11/23/2015 10:31 AM
I posted reviews on the above 3 dive shops on Tripadvisor.
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 11/23/2015 10:45 AM
Add info: I booked these dives myself and didn’t book through the cruise ship to avoid any cattle boat operators. All were (2) tank dives. All three shops were well aware of cruise ship timing and were very accommodating.
West End Divers let us book our own private boat for (3) divers for $80.00 total.
In Belze we were slightly delayed but Sea Sports loaded our gear back on the dive boat and gave us a ride up to the tender boat so we wouldn’t have to walk.
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 11/23/2015 10:53 AM
We took our own gear. Gear rental is cheap but nothing like your own. Really had no problem.
Subscribed
TioJoe - 11/23/2015 11:34 AM
Thank you once again. I have already copied your messages to my dive buddy.

FYI She is a civilian working at an army base with Wounded Warriors. One of her things is doing an intro to scuba with those who are interested.
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 11/23/2015 11:38 AM
Awesome, good luck on your trip