Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

pensacola december 20-23, 2015
11BravoDiver - 10/12/2015 8:13 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 4

I am wanting to do some shore dives while in Pensacola. Will be bringing my own gear will need air fills and rent extra tank. Anyone interested in diving with me?

I have never dove this area before.

Any tips, suggestions or anyone want to dive?
Subscribed
SpacemanCraig - 10/13/2015 6:13 AM
Shore spots in and around Pensacola are Fort Pickens Jetties and the Perdido Key Snorkel Reef. If you’re willing to drive a little bit you also have The Whiskey Wreck, the Navarre Marine Sanctuary, Vortex Springs, Morrison Springs, and the Destin Jetties. All of these sites have pages on DiveBuddy you can look up for locations and more info. Minus the springs, these sites can be extremely tide/current dependent, so make sure you plan your dive to end right at high slack tide. Also, it is Florida law that divers display a diver down flag at all times, so make sure you have one before you go dive. Last but not least, the waters here in the panhandle usually drop into the 60’s in December so make sure you have a good wetsuit. If you have any other questions you can message me and I’ll try to help you out. My personal recommendation is to try to get on a few boat dives if you can. Pensacola has some amazing diving but almost all of it requires a boat.
Subscribed
11BravoDiver - 10/30/2015 10:27 PM
What are the springs like in late december? How close to Pensacola? What about air fills/ tank air fills?
Cheshirecat - 11/04/2015 9:40 AM
The springs are consistently 60-73 degrees. December in Florida can be bone-chilling cold or sweltering hot. We never know what we’re going to get in our "winter."

Vortex Spring is a full service dive resort about an hour and a half from Pensacola. Here’s some info about Vortex. floridasprings.org/visit/map/vortex%20spring/

Morrison Springs is about 10 miles from Vortex Spring. Here’s a link for more info about this site. northwest-florida-travel.com/morrison-springs.html

If you are interested in doing a shore dive in or around Pensacola, I strongly advise finding a local dive buddy with knowledge of the site. As SpacemanCraig, mentioned above, the current can become treacherous in a hurry. Call one of the local dive shops and see if they have some recommendations if you don’t find a buddy here.

Happy diving!!