Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Air consumption question when picking a buddy.
Greg - 3/27/2007 3:33 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 7

Do you think it`s important to ask about air consumption when picking a buddy? Or is everyone close enough so it`s not a big issue? If everyone thinks it`s important, maybe I can add something to everyone`s profile that lets you specify whether your an air hog or not. That would be one extra thing to use when trying to find the perfect buddy.
shannonjon22 - 3/27/2007 5:12 PM
I think it`s a fair question. As a newbie, I do consume much more air than a more experienced diver. I would hate to ruin someones dive itinerary because I ran low on air way before my buddy did.
Dorkfish - 3/27/2007 11:32 PM
Absolutely a relevant issue. Sometimes air consumption is not truly the issue. I found out last season that a diver I helped certify had a proper SAC rate, but because of equipment differences, he would suck down his air twice as fast as I would.

The end result was that his el-cheapo hard plastic (we buy what we can afford right?) fins could not keep up nor were they as efficient as my Twin Jets, so I needed to slow down so the dives would last longer and be more enjoyable.

Otherwise, his air consumption was very close to my own.
DalelynnSims - 3/28/2007 10:37 AM
Just a reminder as to how to figure the all important SAC, see: http://scubatoys.com/education/sac.asp
Jeannette - 3/28/2007 2:31 PM
I think that it is a fair question, although I also believe that it is fair information to simply OFFER when being paired up with someone that you don`t know. I know that, on the past few dive, I have gone through a lot of air quite quickly - for whatever reason. I also know that I have begun examining my equipment, my physical condition, etc. to determine what exactly is causing me to use that much air (since I didn`t have that problem on the same size tank [63 aluminum] when I was certified).

I think i tis important to know your buddy and their abilities and limitations before entering the water. The only way for someone to know you is to offer up information that is helpful. Since my air sucking was first noticed by me, I have always told people that have been paired up with my husband and I.
bushwacker4u - 4/02/2007 10:57 PM
Yes,It is good information to know and tell. Should be new dive policy....do ask and do tell... :-)
MDW - 12/17/2007 11:18 AM
That would be good to know, but just as important are other considerations, like equipment. For example, an air hog with a doubles will still outlast a sipper with an AL80. Two divers with equal SACs are still mis-matched if one dives a LP120, while the other has a HP80, etc.