DID I get DECO sickness?
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 12:18 AM
Category: General
Replies: 18

Back in Tahiti, 4 years ago when I first did a resort dive. My mask filled up with water and I freaked out and shot to the surface. Once I was up there and we got the water out, we went back down for the rest of the dive. We were only at about 15-20 feet. After the dive, I showered and laid down to take a nap. I awoke with severe STIFFNESS in all my muscles and bones and was in so much pain I skipped dinner and ordered in. It hurt to try and straighten my legs and arms.

MY QUESTION TO EVERYONE...WAS that DECOMPRESSION SICKNESS? Or what else was it?
seawolfdiving - 9/29/2008 9:58 AM

Ouch...! This doesn’t sound like it was a lot of fun...

Did you go to the doctor/hospital to have it checked out? Since you are still diving and, I assume that the symptoms have not re-occured, then you were probably not bent. Although there have been some cases where DCS resolves without treatment.

Besides Doppler ultrasound and correctly interpreting the symptoms, DCS can be difficult to diagnose. Usually it is not confirmed until after Hyperbaric oxygen treatment. At which time, if the symptoms resolve, then you were most likely bent. 

If you are diving and if you think that you might be bent, it is better to seek medical attention sooner, rather than later.

If you have further questions or concerns about DCS, there are several good websites and a ton of excellent books on the subject. DIvers Alert Network (DAN) is an excellent source, and they even offer on-line seminars.

Remenber "A good diver is always learning"

Ron sends

Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 10:29 AM
From Beth:

Probably not- it was your first dive I assume and nitogen loading at that depth is minimal. Your muscle issues were most likely due to using them in a way you were not used to.

You seem to have a lot of ?s and issues. Try some more diving education. It will be fun and alot of these things are covered in furthering your education and experience.

I felt your response came across insinuating that I need to read more and educate myself, as if all I do is sit here and bug everyone with questions.

Thank you for keeping me in check, however, I read everything (and more) I can get my hands on and am ALWAYS furthering my education on diving, because I am truly very, very passionate about it. I merely inquire because that is ALSO part of furthering my education. This website is AFTER ALL a place to come together, share and learn, and that is what I do and will continue to do.

I am very thankful to have this website to console and hear other people’s views and opinions.
OcalaJim - 9/29/2008 11:35 AM
In my opinion, and that doesn’t mean much, I would have contacted DAN via the phone. They are very helpful and know when to send you for treatment. You can get DCS in shallow water.

P.S. Keep bringing the questions. They keep me on my toes :)
seawolfdiving - 9/29/2008 1:52 PM

Personally, I like the questions. The fact that you ask a lot of questions shows that you are interested in learning.

This forum is designed to accommodate questions and topics from all levels of diver experience and certification.

Though it should be remembered that this forum may not a place where you fight find "The Answer" for all of your questions, it is a great place to start. And it is certainly the correct place to open up discussion.

Although you can learn from other forum members responses, it is also very important that you research issues with your certifying agency, or other supporting agencies such as DAN.

Soooo...... Keep those questions coming Valentina. And keep in mind that the question that you ask is probably on someone elses mind too, but they may be afraid to ask.

Ron sends

Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 9:20 PM
Thank you Ron, you are my buddy!
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 9:39 PM
From Beth:

I am sorry you were not happy with my response. I did read the forum correctly and you stated that it was a resort dive and 4 years past. I still assume it was your first diving experience according to your profile. Considering that, I still stand behind my response. At the diving level you have posted at this time, I would think if you had those same symptoms after multiple dives you would think DSC and treat it differently.

You do seem to have a lot of ?s and issues , and I still do stand behind my recommendation of further education and experience. Maybe you have not updated your profile lately and it doesn’t reflect more training and education. It is the best way to get the answers you need. Advanced Rescue or Master Diver courses are great ways to learn about these areas in a little more depth.

My short answer may have deemed a harsher tone than intended as email often does. So, I will assume yours seemed as so. Other wise, maybe I hit a sore note and didn’t realize. I hope this clears it up.

Like I responded personally in the email to you Beth. I am not mad at you, nor did you hit any sore notes. I am very comfortable with myself and what others think of me means really nothing to me. I am very happy with myself and who I am.

Of course, you know VERY LITTLE or NOTHING about me, so I could see where optimally suggesting that I take "more training" WOULD be your response. But those that know me deeper than you do, obviously know that I am always training, studying and improving my life and knowledge about the things I am passionate about. I thirst for knowledge, and it is my never being afraid to ask questions (no matter how trite) that I have become as knowledgeable as I am about a lot of things, thanks to people providing me the answers I often seek.

It was merely that I was thinking back to maybe it was DCS back then, and I didn’t know it. Being much wiser now, I know that it is NOT because I wasn’t deep enough. But again, there is always that FIRST TIME CASE of something being discovered, and that is why we talk and ask openly about it.

This post was again, just to share and have people write in their own stories or just read it and move on. It wasn’t meant to have people tell me what I was apparently LACKING. That is all. I just felt it could have been done with a little more tact and not so ’preachery’. Aw, but what the hck do I know? I can only speak for myself and I keep things light here and help people with experience and advise the best I can, but I know I would never tell someone that had done 100 dives (for instance) "Well, when you have done 200 dives, maybe you will know more" etc. that is all.

I don’t even know why I am going on about this, but being from another country, I feel I often get misunderstood by Americans so I am just clarifying myself so we can all be on the SAME DIVE PAGE!

And on that note... HAPPY DIVING and let’s move on to something LIGHTER!

:)
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 9:58 PM

Hahahaha. next time I will just ask how to make TUNA CASSEROLE! hahaha.

No, I won’t because I am a vegetarian and I don’t eat fish!

Have a great week BETH! (mwwwwah!)

ps I didn’t scold you! Now, go to your room! hahahaa
Matt65 - 9/30/2008 4:47 AM
Cheers to you Valentina! Oh, and by the way, I got an awsome Tuna casserole recipie in case you are interested! And, if you leave out the tuna as you are a vegitarian, it is still good! LOL!!! Take acre and dive safe!
ScubaHawk - 9/30/2008 4:10 PM

Divegirl55 and Beth:

Could it be that Divegirl’s question was rhetorical? If divegirl’s statement regarding her dive incident is accurate, and we can safely assume that she was not at any great depth, then she should not have suffered DCS.

The NDL for 25’ is roughly 245 minutes (depending on the agency that published the table). I doubt divegirl55 was down for more than 10 or 15 minutes in a resort dive scenario. She was probably so traumatized by her flooded mask, the new underwater environment (new to her), and the funky dive gear that we all wear that she was contracting her muscles in a severe way and using muscles that she was not conditioned to using.

And after further cogetation, I am sure her question was rhetorical; no way does she think that her muscle and joint soreness was caused by DCS. IMHO

markm

PS: All dives are decompression dives! Don’t believe PADI when they tell you otherwise. Severe dehydration can radically change NDLs and be a contributing factor to DCS even at shallow depths. Was Scubagirl55 acutely dehydrated?

Maybe it was not a rhetorical question...

seawolfdiving - 9/30/2008 5:42 PM
Rhetorical questions are ok. They’re great for starting discussions and stimulating the thought processes. And that is, after all, what the forum is here for. Isn’t it...? Umm, I think...
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 9/30/2008 8:11 PM

Thank God I have not (yet) felt DCS, so I of course do not know what it feels like, so I was asking if it WAS indeed DCS? Just as even though I went to 102 feet last year, I did not feel narked, nor have I EVER on my deep dives, so who knows maybe I will be back to ask later: "If I was narked"???

I read up on all dive related issues, I know what things feel like, but again, sometimes illnesses/issues vary from person to person dependent upon, body size, sex, food content, etc.

DCS is also oddly enough called "the bends" (stemming from people bending over in pain) but the way I was BENT from my muscles stiffening up, I thought suddenly years later...MAYBE I HAD THE BENDS without knowing it then???

I have many health issues, and I went on here for clarification to see whether it was an actual sickeness or just ME!

People who have gone through it would then recognize my symptoms and say yay or nay to my story.

Like some of you said, my unfamiliarity with the sport naturally sent panic in (with the flooded mask, as MOST people encounter), which sent me shooting straight to the top, and WE HAVE ALL BEEN TAUGHT: shooting straight to the surface leads to DCS, hence, asking the question.

MAYBE I HAD AIR BUBBLES in my blood?

But then, I would not be alive maybe...

EITHER WAY, the intro dive, rendered me UNABLE TO move from extremely painful and STIFF muscles and joints, so WHATEVER that may (or may not) be called...IS WHAT I HAD! :)
seawolfdiving - 9/30/2008 9:03 PM

Hi Valentina;

I have felt nearly the same thing on several occasions. The problem with DCS is that it closely mimics the symptoms of several other possible problems, including severe dehydration, and over exertion. Even "experts" many times have difficulty saying that what a diver is experiencing is DCS.

Being a "little" sore and a little tired is normal after a dive. After all you are exercising (more than you might realize). Especially when you get as old as I am and try to keep up with a bunch of younger divers. If you are not in good physical condition and if you are not accustomed to the type of exercise that you are subjected to while diving, you could very welll over-exert and get really sore. The remidy to this, of course is to stay in good condition & "dive often".

There are some indicators that should prompt a diver to seek medical attention regardless if it turns out to be DCS or not.

Unconsiousness, Dizziness, any neurological symptoms, difficulty breathing, chest pain, etc... These may indicate DCS or other serious conditions and should never be ignored.

Although this is NOT a complete listing of serious symptome, I think you can get the idea of what to look for.

You can learn a lot more detail on DCS and other Dive related injuries by participating in a Diver First Aid course that may be available in your local dive shop.

Also Divers Alert Network offers a lot of great training on Asessing and dealing with diver specific emergencies including DCS, AGE, Marine Life injuries, etc...

Have Fun, Be Safe and remember

"Good Divers are Always Learning"

firediver57 - 10/04/2008 11:33 AM
Really there isn’t enough information to tell, how deep did you go or was 20 feet the max? How about previous dive profiles, depths, total time, how long had youbeen at that depth, etc. Any dives after? Based on what you describe however, it is possible you got a type I hit, which is pain only and focused in the joints. Even with the other detatils filled in that is the most likely probability even though 20 feet wouldn’t be enough to do it on one dive alone. I suspect there is something more to that day that one dive. Best Wishes and Godd Diving Carmine DMT-A Dive Medical Technician Note: the previous is not a diagnosis and should not be construed as such. Any dive that causes pain or discomfort unusual to a diver in the first 24 hours after diving should be considered suspect and the diagnosis of a diving illness/injury professional should be sought immediately. The best source is DAN, (Diver’s Alert Network) 1-919-684-8111 or 1-919-684-4DAN (4326)
firediver57 - 10/04/2008 11:35 AM
Should have mentioned that hot showers immediatley after diving are not real good to do. Slightly warm is best so as not to cause too much vasodilation. If there are bubbles that would allow them to grow. Carmine