Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Mexico!
Countess4sight - 1/27/2009 7:11 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 11

Hey Dive Buddies!

I am heading to Mexico in February. I’m trying to choose between Cancun and Riviera Maya (I’m going with a non-diving friend, and she’s got a "been there/done that" feeling toward Cozumel).

Any suggestions, tips, dive sites or other info to sway toward one or the other?

Thanks!
h2ofria - 1/28/2009 4:27 PM
I think you will find better diving at Riviera Maya. Cancun is a big tourist trap. I have never been to Riviera Maya but it can’t be worse than Cancun. If you are looking for night life that caters to the college crowd then Cancun is the place to go.
Pask - 1/28/2009 9:19 PM

Hi,

I’ve been to both places. Cozumel is, by far, way better than mayan riviera...espcially for divers. I stayed at allegro cozumel, the dive shop is on site...
Subscribed
GenoMc - 1/29/2009 1:56 PM
Hi Deb !! I have been to all 3 places a lot, and since your friend is not too keen about returning to Cozumel, I think you both would enjoy the Riviera Maya a little more than Cancun. As far as diving is concerned the Riviera Maya to me is by far better than the Cancun area!! Not only can you ocean dive you can also Cenote dive on the Riviera Maya. I have also seen and dived with Manatees in the ocean on the Riviera Maya, and played with wild monkeys in the jungle after a Cenote dive. To me i have truly enjoyed staying in the Riviera Maya area a lot more than the Cancun area.
georoc01 - 1/30/2009 12:32 PM
Go check out the cenotes off of the Riveria Maya. They are really cool.
h2ofria - 1/31/2009 9:03 PM

I didn’t mean to imply that Cancun or Riviera Maia is better than Cozumel for diving. If you want some serious diving then Cozumel is the destination in that part of Mexico.

There really is not a lot of good diving in Cozumel. Go to Cancun for the beaches and the party atmosphere. Riviera Maia for some diving.
DiveBuddyChgo - 2/01/2009 7:11 AM
Take a diving friend to Cozumel... Otherwise don’t consider this as a dive vacation...
herefishyfishyfishy - 2/01/2009 3:07 PM
They are very close to each other... rent a car, much easier to get around that way. Cars are cheap to rent, we paid $142 total for a 7 day car rental with Alamo. Go to Riviera Maya... Play de Carman (spelling?) is very close and has things to do for the non-partier / non-diver! Both, cancun and Riviera Maya are about 20 minutes from the Airport (in oppisite directions). When are we going diving????
cypresspirate - 2/01/2009 5:05 PM
I’ve dove at all three. Playa del Carmen was a blast with several different dive experiences close by. Try Tank Ha they have excellent dive masters.
Subscribed
sea - 2/01/2009 5:15 PM
For Riviera Maya:
Honestly, if your buddy does not dive my suggestion is, in case that you have reserved in a resort, to be sure there is a dive center in it, so that you will be able to go for a dive just 2/3 hours and meet her afterwards even in the beach -perhaps while she is taking a tequila : ) - i.e. Bahia Principe Tulum resort and bahia dive center (also known as bahia divers). Or Akumal beach resort and Mr Diver Dive Shop. Almost all provide reef dives, cenote dives, and cozumel dives
Ask your resort, almost all have a dive shop or a dive center able to pick you up in the hotel entrance.
In case you have reserved in a condo, etc...there are dive centers that pick you up, and return you back after diving.
For reef diving you can call Akumal dive adventures:
http://www.akumaldiveadventures.com/ (not very sure of transportation but they seem to be great in reef divings and even scuba diving courses). In this case "Vista del Mar" is very close to them.
For cenote dives you can call "Diablo divers" in "Puerto Aventuras.

But I highly recommend in your case a resort if possible, i.e. Bahia.
Hydrozoa_Gazer - 2/01/2009 5:33 PM

Mayan Riviera

Stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Sol (all inclusive) and dive with Dressel Dive Shop on site.

Dive Manchones reef with Venessa. That’s all I have to say about that!

You won’t be sorry...
h2ofria - 2/08/2009 3:22 PM
From h2ofria:

I didn’t mean to imply that Cancun or Riviera Maia is better than Cozumel for diving. If you want some serious diving then Cozumel is the destination in that part of Mexico.

There really is not a lot of good diving in Cozumel. Go to Cancun for the beaches and the party atmosphere. Riviera Maia for some diving.

Correction to my previous post. I meant to say there is not a lot of good diving in "Cancun". Cozumel has great diving.