Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

wetsuit
alisonlindenauer - 4/21/2009 3:55 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 11

What is the first mm wetsuit you all would recommend buying? I have a shorty - I want a full suit now, and I’m leaning towards buying a 5mm. Is this a good thickness to start with?
seawolfdiving - 4/21/2009 4:24 PM

Hi Alison;

The answer to your question will depend greatly upon the environment in which you will be diving and to some degree on your own tollerance to cold.

If you are divingin tropical waters then 1.5 to 3mil suits are great. However, if you intend on diving on colder Northern waters a 5mil or heavier (even a dry suit) might be necessary.

If you want a little versatility then perhaps a Farmer John/Jane (2 piece) suit might work well for you.

I dive a lot in Central and Eastern Pennsylvania and I use a dry suit or a Farmer John which gives me 3 to 7mil coverage depending on how much of the suit I wear. But when I do dive in Florida (which happens several times each year) I will wear a 3mm suit or shortie...

Triggerfish - 4/21/2009 4:45 PM
If your diving in NY in fresh water ( Cold) get a 7mm or dry suit the caribbean 3mm along the coast 5mm or dry suit
TColJeep - 4/21/2009 8:42 PM

Hi there Alison,

If you plan on diving up here in NY, Plan on a 7mm. You will use it for most of your Northeast diving. Of course, if you plan on doing trips to the Caribbean, Florida or warmer waters, your shorty or a 3mm will be just fine.

Good luck, dive safe and enjoy,

Todd
Subscribed
alisonlindenauer - 4/22/2009 11:39 AM
thanks to you all for your input! i went ahead and ordered a 3mm full henderson wetsuit, some kind of super stretchy thing, bc i’m pretty tall. . . i think i will do mostly warmer water diving, but only time will tell. again, thanks all!
massdiver - 4/22/2009 2:43 PM
If you are diving in the Northeast you will absolutely need a 7mm, trust me. I would recommend a 3mm if you are diving in the warm waters of the tropics. Some even use a 1.5 or 2mm, but you would be safe with a 3mm. Good luck on your search.
muddiver - 4/22/2009 2:57 PM
You should be good with that. I use a 3/2 which is a 3 mil body and 2 mil arms and legs when I dive in Hawaii. Usually in the summer. If I know I will diving deep or its the winter months I bring my 5 mil titanium lined farmer john and step through top.
AnninNYC - 4/22/2009 3:44 PM
You won’t be sorry. I’m sure it will work out for you, and even if you needed a warmer one one day, the 3 will serve you in so many environments that you really need to own a 3. And people get fussy about brands, but that’s personal. I have a henderson and I have another brand, and they’re both totally fine.
yukacaver - 4/23/2009 6:07 PM
Good Choice !!!
mikieswanny - 4/27/2009 5:43 PM
we opted for 3/2 mm. this works for me. Wife Rose is a tiny thing with a small insulation R rating than me and in the tropic water she was good with the 3/2. however I purchased her a 3mm vest for cooler water. this seemed to serve her well. she can then use the vest alone if she chooses.