Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

New Computer
Diving4Fun - 3/15/2010 9:49 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

Interested in any opinions (and prefer experience) those can offer on purchasing an air (Nitrox) integrated computer. I am interested in the hose-less wrist mount and need one with larger buttons being a coldwater Michigan diver. I had the opportunity to talk with my LDS today and the owner seemed to lean towards Oceanic. I do not doubt her judgment, just need to justify to my wallet the expenditure! (I have the want; now just need the ‘need.’) Not to mention the digital compass would be interesting if available.
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/16/2010 10:14 AM
It’s hard to beat Oceanic or it’s private label clones, my Cochran cost twice as much but doesn’t tell time or date (It will if I send them another $149.) however it will handle two mixes on one dive.
steelheadfish - 3/16/2010 12:13 PM
I dive soley cold water, and i have the oceanic vt3 it works very well, the only set back is if you do adv nitrox your computer can only handle up to 50% mix, I have very good communtcation between my tranmitter and computer. I never once lost the link underwater, the battery lasted a long time almost 2 years and 200 dives. I then preplaced it just out of being paranoid. If you do replace the batterys i have been told use only duracell for a long life (so I did) It was easy to do about 10 mi. the computer program is great for keeping your log book, but does take alot of space on your hard drive in your home computer, i then load my dives on a memory stick as a backup. I have had a genisis computer and my buddy has a aries and the oceanic was far superior product. and my opinion is it is better than my freinds areis, both we attached to a hose. If you have any Q? drop a line!
Greg - 3/19/2010 10:04 AM

Also, if you search for "computer" while in the forum, you’ll see their are currently 24 topics about dive computers. I’m sure you’ll find lots of great information there.
Subscribed
Diving4Fun - 3/19/2010 12:59 PM

Thank you for all the help everyone. I have made some "on the spot" purchases before and down the road of use ’wished’ I had bougt that other option! Users advice is always better then sellers advice. (Nothing against my LDS though, they are great!)
DiveBuddyChgo - 3/20/2010 10:00 AM
You are doing good looking for info. on your own and asking other divers.. As you already realize is that the LDS best interest is selling whatever is in stock.. My computer is so old that I can’t help you on the new stuff.. Doing the homework and looking is the fun part of buying.. Once you own it then its just there to be used.. A wise shopper you are...
scubaclay - 3/20/2010 1:58 PM
Listen to all of the hype about computers, then figure what will and will NOT work for you. I can recommend all of the computers out ther, but all that matters is what is best for you. Do a lot of research BEFORE you look to buy. Good Luck.
hopeinvalor - 3/20/2010 10:46 PM
My favorite is the Liquivision X1. I run mine with V Planner Live.
oceanfloor - 3/21/2010 11:49 AM
The Galleo del Sol, does both air, nitrox, mixed gases, and had the digital compass... I love mine.
Subscribed
Diving4Fun - 3/31/2010 8:31 AM
Thanks again everyone for the comments and help. Personally I always enjoy others ‘real” opinions on what they have done and used. (Not that I doubt my LDS by any means, they are great people!) Based on my information gathered and numerous staring at the books I am thinking the Oceanic VT3. Any last minute “do nots?” J