Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

dive buddy needed asap
ReneeNicole - 8/09/2010 9:46 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 24

I need to get my dives up to become a dive instructor. ive been certified for 10 years but have no one to go with recently. I live in Alabama and im wanting to keep the dives in the gulf or in florida...anyone interested??
UWnewbee - 8/10/2010 1:41 AM
 Renee, Have you used the search section yet? you can put in all the info (age,sex,experience,and so on) you want and itll show divers in the area youve selected then you can add them or drop them a message. Good Luck any problems Give one of DiveBuddy.com’s Mods a shout or use the web site help section, or Greg (owner of DiveBuddy) Or Becky (badintexas) Even Me!

Dana (uwnewbee) A DiveBuddy.com site Moderator
Subscribed
SeaGoat - 8/10/2010 1:19 PM
It looks like a bunch of us are going to Vortex on the weekend of the 21st. You’re welcome to join us. If you can’t make it, keep in touch. I go diving pretty regularly.
Subscribed
ReneeNicole - 8/10/2010 8:06 PM
yeah i tried that but it said something about not having any matches...i changed some things around and did it again but it said the same thing.
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 8/10/2010 9:26 PM
Hey there, i am looking at diving the destin area and the springs in north florida, when your in the area, let me know if you need a buddy.
Subscribed
buzzbrown - 8/11/2010 5:39 PM
Look on tdtdivers.com there is a trip to PCB on the weekend of the 21-22. There are several divers going from the North AL area including me and my wife. All of the details are on tdtdivers as well as costs. I am a dive master. I know another of the divers is an advanced also a doctor with close to 1000 dives. Mosr of the divers on the trip are advanced or above. Good Luck.
Subscribed
DarcyFL - 8/12/2010 10:24 AM
I’m gathering up dive buddies too. I’m looking at going to Vortex on the 21st and maybe inviting a few divers I know. Come on down!
Subscribed
ReneeNicole - 8/12/2010 12:09 PM
that sounds great! ill deffinately let you know
Subscribed
yella71 - 8/15/2010 5:10 PM

I will be in south fla to dive in september from the 9th to the 15th

Subscribed
oceanbound - 8/15/2010 7:33 PM

a bunch of us are going to Vortex on the 21st this month. Please join us. We will be cooking so if you want, feel free to bring something to share or get up with Flaski to see what might be needed. Should be a lot of fun to meet many divers in this area

From ReneeNicole: I need to get my dives up to become a dive instructor. ive been certified for 10 years but have no one to go with recently. I live in Alabama and im wanting to keep the dives in the gulf or in florida...anyone interested??

Subscribed
flaski - 8/16/2010 9:37 PM
ok i guess i am the cook, equiptment supply, and janitor, so who is actually comming so i can have enough food?
Subscribed
oceanbound - 8/16/2010 9:50 PM
i’ll bring potato salad
Subscribed
zerogee - 8/20/2010 2:24 PM

Renee, I just lost my dive buddy, he moved, so I am in the market for a new buddy. I live and dive around the pensacola and destin area. i have my own boat and all i ask is some gas money. i am pretty filimilar with the destin dives sites and the Oriskany. I am free most weekends and always looking for a bubby. so if you are interested let me know, and that applies to all the others on this site.

curtis
TonyRobertoReed - 8/20/2010 6:35 PM

Hi Im looking for some good dive sites around the Florida area,Any good wrecks to dive? Im looking to travel to Florida early next year.I know its a way off but just trying to get some info sorted and maybe a couple of dive buddies.

Cheers
Subscribed
zerogee - 8/20/2010 10:32 PM

Look at these websites for some north west florida dive sites.

http://www.pensacoladivecompany.com/dive_sites.html

http://www.ecreef.org/public_reef_database.htm

hope this helps.

curtis
Subscribed
flaski - 8/21/2010 8:25 AM

It looks like get together and those from class will move meet to Morrisons Springs. All else stays the same.

Two teams of highly trained, certified cave divers are at Vortex Springs at this hour, looking for a Tennessee man who’s been missing since Wednesday. The search was put on hold earlier today to allow the divers to arrive from all over the region.

No one knew the 30-year old man victim was missing until Friday morning, because he was not authorized to enter the cave at Vortex.

Local dive teams and certified cave divers spent most of the day and the night to locate a 30-year old Tennessee man who is presumed dead.

"We’re going to put together a 2nd attempt to explore the cavern and see if he’s there. We tried to locate him on the surface and around the area says Captain Harry Hamilton with the Holmes County Sheriff’s Office.

But investigators say they have reason to believe he is in the underwater cave that stretches more than 1600-feet long.

They found the man’s decompression air tanks around the 3-hundred foot mark.

Mark Smith, a member of ‘UnderWater Adventures’ a dive team from Baton Rouge, participated in the initial search. He says this particular cave illustrates the tight and restricting path he had to negotiate.

"It’s a rather large opening going down the first 120ft. After that there’s a metal gate that he either had a key or jimmied the lock to go through, which is a direct deterrent for most divers of any stature", Smith says.

The dive shop confirmed the man, who was a frequent visitor to Vortex Springs, was not authorized to have access to the cave and did not have a key.

The dive shop called Holmes County Sheriff’s Officials Friday, after a worried employee noticed the man’s truck had been parked in the same spot since Wednesday.

"We presume at this time he has made a solo cave dive into the springs; we’ve got reason to believe he planned this dive and executed it maybe sometime late Wednesday", Hamilton says.

As of 10:15pm Friday, the first dive team had no luck finding the man and if second team is unsuccessful, recovery operations will resume first thing Saturday morning.
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 8/21/2010 12:55 PM
From zerogee:

Renee, I just lost my dive buddy, he moved, so I am in the market for a new buddy. I live and dive around the pensacola and destin area. i have my own boat and all i ask is some gas money. i am pretty filimilar with the destin dives sites and the Oriskany. I am free most weekends and always looking for a bubby. so if you are interested let me know, and that applies to all the others on this site.

curtis

keep me posted, i am still working out the new job details to get my free time and dive gear situated. once i am done i will be looking for dive buddys for that area and also the springs east of us. Hopefully i will get to dive soon and hope to meet you and Renee in the near future!

Dive Safe
Subscribed
DarcyFL - 8/24/2010 10:47 AM

Is there any news since Saturday about the cave diver missing at Vortex?

From flaski:

It looks like get together and those from class will move meet to Morrisons Springs. All else stays the same.

Two teams of highly trained, certified cave divers are at Vortex Springs at this hour, looking for a Tennessee man who’s been missing since Wednesday. The search was put on hold earlier today to allow the divers to arrive from all over the region.

No one knew the 30-year old man victim was missing until Friday morning, because he was not authorized to enter the cave at Vortex.

Local dive teams and certified cave divers spent most of the day and the night to locate a 30-year old Tennessee man who is presumed dead.

"We’re going to put together a 2nd attempt to explore the cavern and see if he’s there. We tried to locate him on the surface and around the area says Captain Harry Hamilton with the Holmes County Sheriff’s Office.

But investigators say they have reason to believe he is in the underwater cave that stretches more than 1600-feet long.

They found the man’s decompression air tanks around the 3-hundred foot mark.

Mark Smith, a member of ‘UnderWater Adventures’ a dive team from Baton Rouge, participated in the initial search. He says this particular cave illustrates the tight and restricting path he had to negotiate.

"It’s a rather large opening going down the first 120ft. After that there’s a metal gate that he either had a key or jimmied the lock to go through, which is a direct deterrent for most divers of any stature", Smith says.

The dive shop confirmed the man, who was a frequent visitor to Vortex Springs, was not authorized to have access to the cave and did not have a key.

The dive shop called Holmes County Sheriff’s Officials Friday, after a worried employee noticed the man’s truck had been parked in the same spot since Wednesday.

"We presume at this time he has made a solo cave dive into the springs; we’ve got reason to believe he planned this dive and executed it maybe sometime late Wednesday", Hamilton says.

As of 10:15pm Friday, the first dive team had no luck finding the man and if second team is unsuccessful, recovery operations will resume first thing Saturday morning.

Subscribed
oceanbound - 8/24/2010 4:53 PM
As of yesterday his body was never recovered. The believe is that he did indeed go diving, solo, into the cave sometime on Wens. It was not noticed until Friday that he had never returned. Last I heard the search was called off after several days within the cave system and around Vortex waters trying to recover a body. Sad
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 8/25/2010 1:56 PM
SEPTEMBER 17TH, 18TH, AND 19TH 2010 PANAMA CITY BEACH, FLhttp://www.asdivefest.com/home

This is up coming in Panama City in support of the Wounded Warrior project
Subscribed
Caver - 8/31/2010 7:28 PM
Dhe gulf. Would love to have you join us, Don’tknow what area of Al you live,but my dive buddy and I are headed down to Lake city to cave dive and then to vortex and maybe the gulf Jason
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 8/31/2010 8:49 PM
SEPTEMBER 17TH, 18TH, AND 19TH 2010 PANAMA CITY BEACH, FLhttp://www.asdivefest.com/home If anyone is interested in going drop me a line...this dive is coming up and next month if you check the forum skipster has posted a trip to the keys also...between the two that should get your numbers up quite a bit and give you plent of bottom time. Hope this helps you out some.
TonyRobertoReed - 9/01/2010 2:36 PM
Thanks for the links Curtis,much appreciated :)