Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving in The Florida Keys
DryHeatDiver - 10/31/2012 8:29 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

My finance and I will be going to Florida in April and plan on driving to the keys to go diving....any recommendations on a dive shop and sites? As a kid I remember snorkeling at Sombrero Reef and Looe Key and they were amazing....wanting to experience something new, but have the same everlasting memories!
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/01/2012 9:14 AM
The search box in the top right is the sum of all DiveBuddy’s knowledge http://www.divebuddy.com/forum_topic.aspx?ForumID=21422
lerpy - 11/01/2012 10:38 AM
Hey here, I have gone out with Horizon divers in Key Largo and they were pretty good, it was a while back though so things could change. I have also heard through divers I know that Ocean Divers in Key Largo is pretty good as well. I am going to be diving Key Largo in March and probably going to use Ocean Divers so I will try and remember to repond and let you know when I have dove with them.
SeaGoat - 11/02/2012 7:18 AM
I was just in Key West and I enjoyed diving with Southern Point divers.

The Vandenberg is a great dive and I highly recommend you get a dive master to go with you. (They will make you have one if you are open water certified.) It’s a big wreck and you’ll need a guide to see the best stuff. If you are fairly inexperienced, give them a call first and make sure you are up to the challenge.

Molasses Reef near Key Largo is one of my favorites and a great place for newbies.

Finally, Christ of the Deep is also worth visiting just so you can say you’ve been there.
Agojo - 11/02/2012 6:20 PM
Key Largo- Ocean Divers and the Spiegel Grove

Key West- Seaduction and morning dive is 2 dives on the Vandenberg, DM highly recommended if new diver, current can be strong and would be easy to get lost on the wreck or in the current.

If you are driving or have rental car both shops have good parking available and good boat crews. Many of the Key West dive shops will do one dive Vandy and second dive a reef or shallow wreck. If you make the long trip out 2 dives you will still not see all of the Vandy. Main deck is 100’ deep, recommend nitrox since would be 2 dives with Seaduction.
DaveDelux - 12/03/2012 9:34 AM
I’ve always had great trips with Amy Slate’s Amoray Dive resort. I’ve been diving with a number of operators in the Keys and never had a problem, but I find Amoray to be a very personal experience.

Is there anything special you’re looking for? Shallow, easy, wrecks, reef, night, tech? The Keys have it all and it’s all great.
Rinman - 12/03/2012 10:51 AM
Would recommend Deep Blue Dive Center in Marathon HMS Minnow in Key Largo both are six pack boats and Looe Key Dive Center for Looe Key and Adolphus Busch and Lost Reef in Key West
smileyg - 12/03/2012 4:24 PM
Dive the Vandenberg in Key West, it’s pretty awesome wreck. Something you might think about is taking the day cruise over to Freeport and diving their, much better vis and a lot to see...if you have your passport.
Javier - 12/20/2012 1:53 PM
I would find out if Captain Slate’s Atlantis Dive Center in Key Largo is going to Carysfort Reef or Carysfort Trench. They seem to be the only ones that go there and, normally, you’d be the only ones at that excellent location. I would also check out the Looee Key Dive Center. You’d get three immersions in one trip in marine sanctuary that never disappoints.