Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

One Day to Dive, Belize or Rotan?
CJDIVES - 9/25/2014 2:02 PM
Category: General
Replies: 5

I’m taking a cruise and will have a Day in Nov, at both Rotan and Belize City. I would like to plan a dive at one of the two, and was hoping for some insight or suggestions.

I prefer to NOT go with the Cruise Line excursion whenever traveling, and am an experienced diver.

Thanks for any and all input.

One Love

CJDIVES
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 9/26/2014 6:20 AM
My vote would be for Roatan - having dives both from the ship. RCCL uses Anthonys Key in Roatan. I enjoyed them so much we went back for a week stay at their facility. They problem with Roatan and Belize City is distance and dock time. RCCL at Belize picked us up at the ship - we never docked. The tender service at Belize was an hour just to get to shore. At Roatan - there is about 40 minutes round trip of travel time to the West End - if that is where you are headed to dive - plus coordinating your arrival with the shop to catch their boat. I would say if I had to choose - take Roatan and AKR if that is the cruse lines operator there. IMHO.
Subscribed
CJDIVES - 9/26/2014 8:56 AM
Thank you very much... that’s exactly the type of intel I was looking for.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/27/2014 3:16 PM
If you were going to one of the islands in Belize I would say dive there but Belize City has no diving, you would board a day boat and go right back to sea.

The worse dive in Roatan would be better than anything near Belize City.
Subscribed
diverray - 9/27/2014 6:42 PM
As an experienced traveler, you probably already know this, but the only argument for using the cruise line excursion is that, if late, they will wait for you. If on your own, you get back to the dock late and the ship may be gone. Like a lot if other dive related risks, you just have to be comfortable with, and protect yourself from the risks as much as possible. That is, plan a lot of buffer time to get back to port after the dive. I agree with Roatan over Belize City as dive site.