Panic Triggers
elliselectric - 3/21/2015 5:38 AM
Category: General
Replies: 2

In order to train for alleviating perceptual narrowing incidences I believe students should experience situations they might encounter. One such situation could be during regulator retrieval, when the student either forgets to clear regulator and sucks water. It isn’t normal to get water in through the regulator which could freak out someone. Could that person just go ahead and shallow the water thereby clearing regulator, then breathe as normal? Or would they choke making the problem worst? One exercise could be having the student take regulator out of mouth and get a mouth full of water then reinsert regulator and clear by blowing. The main idea is to get use to out of the norm type situations. Can anyone else comment on this situation or maybe you can think of a panic trigger that could be practiced before a incident happens?
Subscribed
John_giu - 3/21/2015 2:46 PM
IMHO

I make it a habit to practice purging and switching regulators, clearing mask, locating my octopus,
and adjust straps. I this way I am creating muscle memory, hopefully should an emergency arise
I wont need to think about a solution. Teaching such repetitiveness to a student "might" pay higher dividends then say yanking off his or her mask during a pool session.
I’ve seen student divers in a quarry step of the platform with the tank valve closed! THIS SUCKS, or more correctly DOESN’T SUCK, air that is.
But then again after thirty years hunting with the same buddy we still ask each other to check our safeties.